Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Firearms > Firearms, Reloading and Scopes

Old 02-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

Cool. He is a nice guy, too.

Hey, the DBM bottom metal I got for that 5r is actually AI metal, so I guess I need to find someone besides CDI to inlet the stock for it since it's not their product? It's definitely more than I can do myself without some sort of a vertical milling machine. I guess I'll call Andy Gazaway tomorrow and see if he can do it for me. I'm going to get him to black all that stainless for me anyway. Thanks for your help with that rifle....that cheekpiece is just the ticket. I mounted the scope up today, looked down the bore and it was right on the money at about 100 yards....maybe an inch or two off, but nothing you can really tell like that, eye relief was perfect. I guess that makes sense coming off one 700 and going on another one.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:41 PM

Who made the bottom metal? Last I checked AI, doesn't make a separate bottom metal, their's are built into their AI Chassis Systems.

Is is Atlas Worx?
Old 02-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

That I don't know for sure. It doesn't have any stampings on it. The ad where I bought it said it was AI. :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400255925148...84.m1497.l2649

I expected it to have an AI logo on it somewhere like the AI mags have, but it doesn't. I took it out to Andy today and he's going to go ahead and black the stainless for me and put the bottom metal in. He has installed a few of them and has the milling machines to do it with.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:36 PM

Not sure what make that is. Could be CDI Precision, could be Atlas Worx. Hard to tell from the pix, I could probably tell in person.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

Andy said it looked like BO to him or a close copy, but he wasn't sure either since there's no logo on it. He said it was high quality kit whatever it is. I don't think it's CDI, I compared the pics on the CDI website and there are some differences. I wasn't going to ask CDI to inlet it for me since it's probably not their product and they really do that as a service to people that buy their product. I'm sure they would do it for me, but I wouldn't really feel right about it. After I went to their website, I remember calling them once and speaking to Jeff right before I got sick when I was shopping for bottom metal and a 5r barrel and such for that other 700. Super nice guy.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:38 PM

How many slots left?

CJ
Old 02-08-2012, 04:08 PM

About 8 for Saturday and 9 or 10 for Sunday.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:19 AM

this sounds interesting to come out and do. if their are any slots left I'd like to come our with a friend and see what its all about.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:56 AM

I believe I've got 8 slots left for Saturday and 11 for Sunday.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:51 PM

Cmshoot can you give me your recommendations on some top sniper scopes to consider for a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308? Also any recommendations on spotter scopes would also be appreciated!

I want to insure we have good sniper equipment for this event in hopes to maximize our chances for learning the methods. We currently have an inexpensive Barska 30-60x60 spotter scope which I don't think will be enough. Thanks!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

I know you asked cmshhot, but I'll offer my suggestions....I'm sure he will chip in with more.

As far as scope, if your serious about long distance shooting, I would try (if possible) to go with Nightforce, IOR, Vortex Razor HD or something along those lines. I would recommend staying away from MilDot scopes and sticking with an MOA/MOA setup if possible. Whatever scope you choose, I would definitely recommend mounting it on a 20 or 30 moa picatinny rail.

Edit: If you plan on shooting a lot past 500 yards or so, and at varying distance targets, I would suggest something with a Zero Stop feature.....very handy when you are dialing in large amounts of elevation. That will pretty much narrow the field to NightForce and Vortex to my knowledge.

Last edited by germag; 03-12-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:01 AM

Thanks Germag! I'm liking the Vortex stuff. What about jumping down one paygrade to the Viper series? Like the Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP which has the Zero Stop, FFP like the big brother along with some of the other features. With a lesser of a scope I'm assuming a 30 moa picatinny rail would be better, is that correct thinking?

I'm thinking of also upgrading some other things like replacing the craptastic synthetic stock that comes with a SPS Varmint. Something like a Bell and Carlson Medalist M40, McMillian or AICS. Love the AICS! I'm open to suggestions there too.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:21 AM
Gone But Not Forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BManga View Post
Thanks Germag! I'm liking the Vortex stuff. What about jumping down one paygrade to the Viper series? Like the Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP which has the Zero Stop, FFP like the big brother along with some of the other features. With a lesser of a scope I'm assuming a 30 moa picatinny rail would be better, is that correct thinking?

I'm thinking of also upgrading some other things like replacing the craptastic synthetic stock that comes with a SPS Varmint. Something like a Bell and Carlson Medalist M40, McMillian or AICS. Love the AICS! I'm open to suggestions there too.
I have a Viper also. It's an excellent scope for under $1k. It will fit the bill nicely. I use a 20 moa rail with that scope and it gives me plenty of adjustment. I'm not sure if they offer that one in MOA/MOA if that's the way you're looking at going. Mine is Mildot reticle and MOA turrets, which is not my favorite, but it works OK. As far as the Picatinny rails go, I suppose it's possible to have so much cant that you can no longer get a 100 yard zero, depending on how much internal adjustment the scope has, etc. For that type of shooting, it seems most folks use a 100 yard zero and just dial in the elevation for anything beyond that.

Any of the stocks you mention are excellent. Which one would just be a matter of preference and budget.

Last edited by germag; 03-15-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germag View Post
I have a Viper also. It's an excellent scope for under $1k. It will fit the bill nicely. I use a 20 moa rail with that scope and it gives me plenty of adjustment. I'm not sure if they offer that one in MOA/MOA if that's the way you're looking at going. Mine is Mildot reticle and MOA turrets, which is not my favorite, but it works OK. As far as the Picatinny rails go, I suppose it's possible to have so much cant that you can no longer get a 100 yard zero, depending on how much internal adjustment the scope has, etc. For that type of shooting, it seems most folks use a 100 yard zero and just dial in the elevation for anything beyond that.

Any of the stocks you mention are excellent. Which one would just be a matter of preference and budget.
Thanks again! They have matching reticle and turret measurements now. You can get MOA or MRAD so it appears MOA would fit the bill here. With that said my boy just showed me the NightForce benchrest models which seem interesting but don't have the zero stop. O such decisions to make. Research, research and more research I recon......
Old 03-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Gone But Not Forgotten

Yeah, I'd go MOA/MOA.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:22 AM

5 slots left!
Old 03-30-2012, 10:04 AM

Are there any slots remaining? I recently picked up a FN SPR A3G , and have only had a chance to stretch it out to 355 yards. This looks like a great opportunity to really test myself and the rifle
Old 03-31-2012, 12:10 AM

I've got about 5 slots left.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:19 AM

I just finnished teaching a sniper course there. We used the UKD range all day Sunday. You guys will have a great day just bring plenty of water, insect repellant and shade if you have any. Other things that will help are ground cover and a spotting scope. If you have not already done so make a ballistic chart/graph for your rifle and ammo; this will save you time and money when you start shooting long range.
Enjoy and tell Mark hello for me
Scott
www.centerfiretraining.com
Old 04-02-2012, 03:27 PM

Can you bring a portable bench and shoot from it? Or is it mainly a Tactical shoot?
Old 04-02-2012, 10:39 PM

How big a bench? We only have so much room on the firing line.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:11 PM

Sorry for the late reply. The bench is 36" wide and 48" long.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:04 AM

Any slots left Shep?

A Alexander
Old 04-08-2012, 11:00 AM

abrannon, the bench sounds like it will fit, but I'm hesitant to say "OK" without seeing it. I don't wanna say you're GTG and then when you show up with it I say "No".

alex, I've got a few slots left.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:57 PM

No problem. It would probably be a big hassle to move in and off the line as well. Thanks for following up with me on this.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:26 PM

We are getting closer to the shoot and I have a couple of questions.
1. We will be bringing the RV for the weekend. Do we just show up and find a place to park and set up?
2. Are there power outlets to plug into? My RV has a generator if not.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:30 PM

I have no idea if there are RV hookups, or even a place on the property where they will allow an RV to park overnight. Here is the address and contact information for AIM, give them a holler and find out.

American International Marksmanship Academy, LLC
200 Sherman Road
Blakely, GA 39823
(229) 724-4485
Old 04-23-2012, 10:19 PM

I'm very much looking forward to this. Do you have a schedule that you'll be sending us?
Old 04-23-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmshoot View Post
I have no idea if there are RV hookups, or even a place on the property where they will allow an RV to park overnight. Here is the address and contact information for AIM, give them a holler and find out.

American International Marksmanship Academy, LLC
200 Sherman Road
Blakely, GA 39823
(229) 724-4485
I will call them tomorrow to see. I guess this didn't pan out from an earlier post.
"4. Motor home sites will be available by March, as well as on-site accommodations. There is a Day's Inn in Blakely, about 3 miles from the facility."
Old 04-24-2012, 09:23 PM

Mandatory safety brief both mornings at 0800hrs. We will go "Hot" immediately afterwards. We will shoot until approximately 1700hrs each day.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:30 PM

Sounds like a blast. Have fun all.

Last edited by DMGun; 04-28-2012 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Sold rifle I was offering.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:18 PM

Called today and we are all set for parking the RV. No hook-ups but I'm self contained anyway. See y'all there next weekend.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:24 AM

If a full-hookup camping site is required, Kolomoki Mounds State Park is nearby and has campsites. The park usually has open sites, since it is not on a lake or other major attraction.

The park office number is: (229) 724-2150
Old 04-29-2012, 10:03 PM

For all attendees (whether you are shooting or not):

We will be shooting on the Unknown Distance Range. There will be a mandatory safety meeting on the range each morning at 0800hrs. If you end up running late, you must get with me in person and get cleared to shoot.

I'll post more info tomorrow.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:10 PM

Is anyone bringing a 5.56? I'm thinking about bringing one for some 500 to 600 yard stuff.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:44 AM

A few folks mentioned possibly bringing one, not sure if they will or not. I know of 1 guy bringing an iron-sighted M1 Garand to run it out to 1k.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:46 PM

We had a great time, lots o' good shootin'.

I spotted for my buddy and got him out to 1400yds with his .308, which was as far as he tried to go. I ran my .308 out to 1600yds. Jered Joplin and some guys from APA were present and ran one of their custom rifles in 7mm XCR out to almost 1900yds.

I ran an iron-sighted M44 carbine out to 450yds with outstanding success from a low kneeling position, then went prone and ran it out to about 600yds. My brother ran his open-sghted M1 Garand out to around 800yds or so........I'll get the particulars from him on that one, I wasn't spotting for him when he did it. Another buddy of mine had a Springfield 1903A4 with a repro 4x scope and 3 of us took turns running it out to 800yds. My buddy's wife ran her custom Savage in .260 Remington out to 1600yds.

American International Marksmanship Academy is an spectacular facility, I've got nothing but fabulous things to say about it. If you ever get a chance to visit, do it.

We'll be doing the next event in early November.....I'm just waiting for the CEO, Marc Masoner, to give me a holler and confirm the exact date.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:08 PM

Sounds like big fun. I really wanted to make this one, but was scheduled for work. Please post fall dates when you get them, hopefully I can juggle work to be off.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:13 AM

Yes they have a great facility there!

We had a blast! We took our .308 out to 1000 yards and didn't try any further. The boy took his 22LR out to 400 yards, LOL! We took WranglerSS's 50 cal out to 1700 yards.

Good times were had. Only complaint was the nats. Next time we're bringing the bananas to smear on ya shep! LOL!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:30 AM

We also had a blast this weekend. One thing I learned was I need more elevation adjustment for shots past 1000yds.

Looking forward to November to do it again.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:51 AM

Bananas! As a joke, I draped a banana peel over a buddy's scope......for the rest of the day, gnats coated his entire scope!

Early November should be cool and windy, with no gnats.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:51 AM

If any of y'all get positive comments on the t-shirts you bought from me, send 'em my contact info, I've got plenty left!