GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Sports Talk


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-28-2012, 08:16 AM
BigDollar BigDollar is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Georgia
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default Title IX is unfair to men

Before anyone calls me sexist, I want to make it clear that I'm not opposed to women's athletics. I think most of them are cute tomboys, and it's wonderful they like to play sports.

But what I hate is dishonesty. And it is dishonest to say that women are equal to men in sports. It's even more dishonest to say that women are as equally interested in sports as men.

Per capita, more women are interested in mall shopping than sports, whereas, per capita, more men are interested in sports than mall shopping. A majority of women don't care about sports, while a majority of men care a lot about sports.

So to give an equal number of athletic scholarships to both men and women is unfair to men. Society is taking something that men are more interested in and forcing a false equality.

There are now more women on the U.S. olympic team than men, even though men are more interested, and for the most part better than women in athletics.

I think a more fair modification of Title IX would be to exclude counting football scholarships. It's unfair to include football scholarships when counting the number of athletic scholarships because women do not play football (with very few exceptions). Besides, football is not really a sport--it's a religion.

If football scholarships were eliminated, women could still have all the scholarships they have today, but colleges would be able to field men's soccer, volleyball, and wrestling teams which are sports that places like UGA had to drop due to Title IX.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-28-2012, 08:18 AM
KrazieJacket95 KrazieJacket95 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lawrenceville
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Men's volleyball... Dude.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-28-2012, 08:19 AM
KrazieJacket95 KrazieJacket95 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lawrenceville
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

You're right though.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Boudreaux's Avatar
Boudreaux Boudreaux is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Peachtree Corners
iTrader: (10) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Title IX is about the government interference in capitalism under the guise of "gender equality".

The reason that men's sports get more/better facilities and such is because of the free market. We pay to see these men compete, thus the sport is self-sufficient. The sporting public as a whole does not support women's sporting events enough to make them self-sufficient.

Therefore, the government caves into political correctness and tries to manipulate the "free market" and guarantee the opportunity to sports that there just is not enough interest in for them to make it own their own.

I'm not sexists either, but this is just a fact. If enough sporting fans wanted to see various women's sports, then the $ would be generated to field those teams without outside assistance.

Government interference once again for a special interest group.
__________________
Happy, happy, happy.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-28-2012, 11:42 AM
gobbleinwoods's Avatar
gobbleinwoods gobbleinwoods is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newborn via Nebraska
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDollar View Post
If football scholarships were eliminated, women could still have all the scholarships they have today, but colleges would be able to field men's soccer, volleyball, and wrestling teams which are sports that places like UGA had to drop due to Title IX.
Nebraska dropped men's swimming and gymnastics and put all baseball players on partial scholarships to even the number of schollies.
__________________
posted via Etch a Sketch It is tough to push a rope.
In the Deed, the Glory. Honor Power Tradition. Nebraska Football
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-28-2012, 11:44 AM
chadair's Avatar
chadair chadair is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: gainesville ga.
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

I was agreein with ya BigDollar til ya got to soccer and mens sport!!
that is a girls sport and should be treated as such!!
__________________
Go Gators!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Boudreaux's Avatar
Boudreaux Boudreaux is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Peachtree Corners
iTrader: (10) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadair View Post
I was agreein with ya BigDollar til ya got to soccer and mens sport!!
that is a girls sport and should be treated as such!!
Sounds like someone was cut from his HS soccer team.
__________________
Happy, happy, happy.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-28-2012, 01:18 PM
chadair's Avatar
chadair chadair is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: gainesville ga.
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudreaux View Post
Sounds like someone was cut from his HS soccer team.
I'm not sure if we even had a males soccer team at Parkview
__________________
Go Gators!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-29-2012, 08:04 AM
BigDollar BigDollar is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Georgia
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadair View Post
I'm not sure if we even had a males soccer team at Parkview
Isn't Parkview an annual title contender in soccer?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-29-2012, 08:21 AM
irishleprechaun irishleprechaun is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 10 acres of paridise near Pickens/Cherokee line
iTrader: (2) Check/Add Feedback
Default

My daughter and the tens of thousands of girls who ride equestrian and hope for college schollys would disagree with this post.

It's not always about women wanting to do traditional "mens" sports.

And riding horses for "sport" is much older than any sport like football, baseball or basketball. Only golf would be the closest and it can't even make the olympics

Equestrian is both a modern and ancient olympic sport, none of you sports claim that...

So get off your "high horse"
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-29-2012, 10:27 AM
paddlin samurai's Avatar
paddlin samurai paddlin samurai is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: south carolina
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDollar View Post
Before anyone calls me sexist, I want to make it clear that I'm not opposed to women's athletics. I think most of them are cute tomboys, and it's wonderful they like to play sports.

But what I hate is dishonesty. And it is dishonest to say that women are equal to men in sports. It's even more dishonest to say that women are as equally interested in sports as men.

Per capita, more women are interested in mall shopping than sports, whereas, per capita, more men are interested in sports than mall shopping. A majority of women don't care about sports, while a majority of men care a lot about sports.

So to give an equal number of athletic scholarships to both men and women is unfair to men. Society is taking something that men are more interested in and forcing a false equality.

There are now more women on the U.S. olympic team than men, even though men are more interested, and for the most part better than women in athletics.

I think a more fair modification of Title IX would be to exclude counting football scholarships. It's unfair to include football scholarships when counting the number of athletic scholarships because women do not play football (with very few exceptions). Besides, football is not really a sport--it's a religion.

If football scholarships were eliminated, women could still have all the scholarships they have today, but colleges would be able to field men's soccer, volleyball, and wrestling teams which are sports that places like UGA had to drop due to Title IX.
so your point is? Do u have any daughters or nieces that play college sports? Its all about educational opportunities that exists for males and females.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-29-2012, 10:35 AM
NE GA Pappy's Avatar
NE GA Pappy NE GA Pappy is online now
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toccoa, GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishleprechaun View Post
My daughter and the tens of thousands of girls who ride equestrian and hope for college schollys would disagree with this post.

It's not always about women wanting to do traditional "mens" sports.

And riding horses for "sport" is much older than any sport like football, baseball or basketball. Only golf would be the closest and it can't even make the olympics

Equestrian is both a modern and ancient olympic sport, none of you sports claim that...

So get off your "high horse"
My daughter would strongly disagree also. Her sport goes back even further than riding horses. She is a cross country runner. She is 15 years old, a 9th grader and runs anywhere from 20 to 30 miles a week for training. That is in 95 plus degree weather. Try and tell her she isn't an athlete equal to any football player.

I doubt you can find any football player that could hang with her on a 10k run.

Pappy
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-29-2012, 12:01 PM
chadair's Avatar
chadair chadair is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: gainesville ga.
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlin samurai View Post
so your point is? Do u have any daughters or nieces that play college sports? Its all about educational opportunities that exists for males and females.
NO it's NOT!!!!
And I have 2 daughters, and 2 sons. and if they want equal scholarships for women, then find a sport that women can do that will bring in funds to support that program! don't punish the schools that do NOT have the funds to do this!! The college I played at had to do away with their football program because of this rule!!
it's just another way that the SELECT few can speak for EVERYONE!!
__________________
Go Gators!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-29-2012, 12:28 PM
Boudreaux's Avatar
Boudreaux Boudreaux is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Peachtree Corners
iTrader: (10) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishleprechaun View Post
My daughter and the tens of thousands of girls who ride equestrian and hope for college schollys would disagree with this post.

It's not always about women wanting to do traditional "mens" sports.

And riding horses for "sport" is much older than any sport like football, baseball or basketball. Only golf would be the closest and it can't even make the olympics

Equestrian is both a modern and ancient olympic sport, none of you sports claim that...

So get off your "high horse"
Quote:
Originally Posted by NE GA Pappy View Post
My daughter would strongly disagree also. Her sport goes back even further than riding horses. She is a cross country runner. She is 15 years old, a 9th grader and runs anywhere from 20 to 30 miles a week for training. That is in 95 plus degree weather. Try and tell her she isn't an athlete equal to any football player.

I doubt you can find any football player that could hang with her on a 10k run.

Pappy
Completely missed the point!

It's not about whether the women are athletes or not, it's about the fact that their competitions do not generate enough interest and therefore enough revenues to be self sufficient.
__________________
Happy, happy, happy.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-29-2012, 12:33 PM
KrazieJacket95 KrazieJacket95 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lawrenceville
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlin samurai View Post
so your point is? Do u have any daughters or nieces that play college sports? Its all about educational opportunities that exists for males and females.
This is great... are college football scholarships about educational opportunities? Basketball? Baseball? No other sports make money except for in really remote situations.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-29-2012, 07:38 PM
irishleprechaun irishleprechaun is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 10 acres of paridise near Pickens/Cherokee line
iTrader: (2) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Well, it was stated that most people "the majority" don't want to support the few. So why has title nine stood so long if "the majority" hate it? Because the complainers on this one are in the minority...instead of complaining on a chat forum get majority votes to have it overturned. Or just complain on a chat board knowing you are actually the minority and it just doesn't sit well....
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-29-2012, 09:09 PM
duckdawgdixie's Avatar
duckdawgdixie duckdawgdixie is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: pike county
iTrader: (6) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishleprechaun View Post
Well, it was stated that most people "the majority" don't want to support the few. So why has title nine stood so long if "the majority" hate it? Because the complainers on this one are in the minority...instead of complaining on a chat forum get majority votes to have it overturned. Or just complain on a chat board knowing you are actually the minority and it just doesn't sit well....
actually im pretty sure this is just another case of the .gov bowing to the vocall minority, why would a school give an equal number of scholorships to a program where the only spectators are friends or family of the competitors versus a program that draws in half the state?
__________________
blink... and you'll die in the dark
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-31-2012, 03:25 PM
Woodsman69's Avatar
Woodsman69 Woodsman69 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: South Georgia
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadair View Post
I was agreein with ya BigDollar til ya got to soccer and mens sport!!
that is a girls sport and should be treated as such!!
I can't believe it for the first time ever I agree with a Gator on this board!!!
__________________
Semper Fi Do or Die!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-31-2012, 03:35 PM
Boudreaux's Avatar
Boudreaux Boudreaux is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Peachtree Corners
iTrader: (10) Check/Add Feedback
Default

When was the last time:

1) you paid to attend a women's sporting event when you did not know any of the participants?
2) went to a venue that was sold out for a women's sporting event (besides maybe beach volleyball)?
3) purchased a shirt/cap/etc with a logo/name of a women's sports team in which you knew none of the participants on that team?
__________________
Happy, happy, happy.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-01-2012, 03:02 PM
paddlin samurai's Avatar
paddlin samurai paddlin samurai is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: south carolina
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadair View Post
NO it's NOT!!!!
And I have 2 daughters, and 2 sons. and if they want equal scholarships for women, then find a sport that women can do that will bring in funds to support that program! don't punish the schools that do NOT have the funds to do this!! The college I played at had to do away with their football program because of this rule!!
it's just another way that the SELECT few can speak for EVERYONE!!
student-athlete not athlete -student
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Stonewall83 Stonewall83 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Snellville Ga
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Saying a football player can't keep up with a girl in a 10K......

That is about as relevant as saying a girl can't keep up in an Oklahoma drill in football practice.

I agree with the OP and I'm a Tennessee fan we love the Lady Vols and they actually bring in money to our university.

Unlike women soccer/rowing/diving/swimming/horseback riding/golf etc etc etc......

Not even trying to be rude about it but it is unfair that mens baseball teams get like 5 schollies a year to divide up but the women golf team gets a team full of full scholarship athletes.

But in all fairness you could take every sport mens and womens at most university's and they would make less money put together than football. Just the way it is, especially in the south!!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-02-2012, 06:12 PM
irishleprechaun irishleprechaun is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 10 acres of paridise near Pickens/Cherokee line
iTrader: (2) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Is title IX repealed yet?...saw this thread back up and thought that the majority had spoken...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 Georgia Outdoor News, Inc.Ad Management by RedTyger