GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Sports Talk

Old 09-01-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazieJacket95 View Post
Hope Miami puts a little fight into coming back in this game.
The Dolphins are going to win more games than my Canes...

On a side note...Duke is LEGIT!!!!

Last edited by tjl1388; 09-01-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:43 PM

DUUUUKE!!!!
Old 09-01-2012, 05:48 PM

Obviously I am not a Canes fan but I would like to see them come back and lets get back to the old rivalry again.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman69 View Post
Obviously I am not a Canes fan but I would like to see them come back and lets get back to the old rivalry again.
We are trying...and we're doing it on the back of Duke Johnson.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:25 PM

Nice win for a young team on the road.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:39 PM

Congrats TJL.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:43 PM

Well we did not give up and played hard the whole game. The defense needs some work but that was to be expected. On a good note Duke is as good as advertised. I am thrilled with the win with Miami having 34-36 freshman and sophomores in the two deep.

Go Canes
Old 09-02-2012, 09:42 AM

But SERIOUSLY!!! THIS GUY!!!

Old 09-02-2012, 01:35 PM

duke is gonna be a beast. the only glaring problem i see is the front 4 on D. they get absolutely no penetration and put no pressure whatsoever on the QB. i don't care how good the secondary is, no way they can cover a WR for 4,5,6 seconds. i like what Golden is doing though, just hope they let stay long enough to right the ship.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggdogg View Post
duke is gonna be a beast. the only glaring problem i see is the front 4 on D. they get absolutely no penetration and put no pressure whatsoever on the QB. i don't care how good the secondary is, no way they can cover a WR for 4,5,6 seconds. i like what Golden is doing though, just hope they let stay long enough to right the ship.
Agree 100%

FSu and Notre Lame are gonna hang half a hundy on us easy.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjl1388 View Post
Agree 100%

FSu and Notre Lame are gonna hang half a hundy on us easy.

I did not get a chance to see you guys yesterday. Sounds like you were not impressed.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:13 PM

the Gators and Canes were on at the same time. the misses is the Canes fan, thus the reason i saw so much of the game...

there is a lot of things about the Canes to get excited about. the D-line ain't one of them.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:36 PM

Golden is a top tier coach. Duke is the real deal. I think he and T. Gurley were the new stars to emerge yesterday.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanierSpots View Post
I did not get a chance to see you guys yesterday. Sounds like you were not impressed.
Our DLine might be one of the worst in football. Pop Warner bad. 0, Zip, Zilch of a push upfront.

I was VERY impressed with the Offense and believe it or not several of the freshman DB's.

We are gonna throw on folks all day long and if they start blitzing Duke is gonna run right past them. The OLine is the best unit on the squad....and that's WITHOUT Seantrel Henderson who supposedly is going to be challenging for time this week. I'm confident enough to say....we don't need him.

I'll reserve judgement on Stephen Morris(QB) until I can see him throw down the field a little more. What I do know is UM no longer has a QB throwing passes with a gummy worm for an arm. Kid can flat sling it like Steven Strasburg....

Not sure if we can beat KState next week but I can say this...we are gonna go down scoring that's for sure!!!

Personally I think the last team with the ball will win.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjl1388 View Post
Our DLine might be one of the worst in football. Pop Warner bad. 0, Zip, Zilch of a push upfront.

Personally I think the last team with the ball will win.
with that D-line, this will be the story for most of their games. they're gonna need to put 45 on the board pretty regular.

on a positive note, johnson will force teams to load up the box opening a LOT more passing lanes for morris. they won't have to win the game with his arm, plus, from what i've seen, he doesn't just heave the ball downfield and hope his receiver will be open when the ball gets there like his predecessor was prone to do. morris makes much better decisions with the ball than harris ever did.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:03 AM

I think the O will do fine with Morris making better decisions and a good running game. The recievers have to get past the butterflies and start making catchs. Hopefully the first game jitters are gone and they settle in to a game plan and excute it. The D-Line has to make it's presence known and start getting some pressure or it is going to be a long season of QB's picking us apart. With that said I am still more than happy we got the W and can't wait for the K-State game.

GO CANES!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2012, 10:34 AM

Well we have to go play K-State this weekend and I hope we have shored up the defense a little so we can reduce the blown assignments. I think we can do fine on offense and score but can we score more than we give up? TJL I will be in GA over the weekend hopefully knocking down one so you have to keep this thread on page one. Good luck to anyone hunting this weekend and be safe.

GO CANES!!!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 05:19 PM

Some random Shapiro trash.

Quote:
One reason the UM investigation has stretched 18 months is the NCAA continues to try to corroborate Nevin Shapiro’s allegations against 114 players, at least six coaches and others. Now, several people are disputing additional claims that Shapiro has made to the NCAA. The claims are not new but had not previously come to light. Among them:

### Shapiro, serving a 20-year sentence for running a Ponzi scheme, told the NCAA that then-UM coach Frank Haith asked Shapiro, who had contacts in the Miami Beach police department, to intervene when Jack McClinton was charged with DUI in Miami Beach before his senior season. Shapiro maintains he intervened on Haith’s behalf.

But McClinton’s attorney on the case, Dan Lurvey, said he had no interaction with Shapiro and never met him. He said the DUI charge was dropped “and I’m certain Nevin Shapiro was not involved” in achieving that.

### Shapiro alleged unspecified improprieties involving UM’s recruitment of basketball star John Wall, who played one year at Kentucky before turning pro. Shapiro claimed he met with UM coaches and Wall’s mentor and former AAU coach, Brian Clifton, at Shapiro’s home.

Clifton told us then-UM assistant coach Jake Morton introduced him to Shapiro during a visit to Miami – before Wall took his official visit to UM - and that Clifton and Morton went to Shapiro’s home. But Clifton said Shapiro “was not involved in John’s recruitment nor did he ever meet John.”

Clifton said UM was in the running for Wall, the nation’s top recruit in 2009, partly because of Clifton’s relationship with Morton – “Jake is a close friend” – and because “it’s not tough to sell South Beach to an 18-year-old. [But] John wanted to play for [Kentucky coach] John Calipari.”

Asked if UM committed any violations in recruiting Wall, Clifton said, “As far as I’m concerned, absolutely not.”

Asked if the NCAA has contacted him about UM’s recruitment of Wall, Clifton said, “I don’t know. Not sure. If they asked us a question, it wasn’t a major investigation.”

Clifton said, “We were supposed to be on the take and looking for money. John’s recruiting process was about as clean as anyone has ever been recruited. We didn’t talk to Miami or Kentucky about getting anything for John.”

Clifton said Morton “introduced me to Nevin because he happened to be around. It was a chance encounter on South Beach. Nevin name-dropped. He was portrayed as a mover and shaker, a guy with a lot of money with some influential friends.”

Clifton said he went inside Shapiro’s home with Morton – “we gained access to the house, saw the view from the balcony,” – but doesn’t remember if Shapiro was there.

“Nevin doesn’t feel like people came to his aid, and he’s trying to hurt guys who didn’t help him,” Clifton said.

Haith, now at Missouri, declined to comment on Shapiro’s claims about the McClinton case or Wall.

### Shapiro, who is not doing media interviews, alleged to the NCAA that two other UM boosters committed violations involving players. Shapiro alleged minor violations by Miami Beach attorney Matthew Krieger, who said he has done nothing wrong and that the NCAA has not contacted him.

The NCAA has poked around on this, but a close associate of Shapiro claimed no knowledge of wrongdoings by Krieger. The identity of the other booster is unknown.

"I would never buy anything for athletes,” Krieger said. “I was very aware of the rules. On a small number of occasions, I would be with Nevin. We ran in similar circles of friends.”

UM declined to comment on these allegations because the investigation is ongoing.

Make no mistake: The NCAA is very cognizant of Shapiro’s motives to damage UM and won’t punish UM for allegations that it has not corroborated. Some obviously have been, but some clearly have not been. And the investigation drags on, still many months from UM receiving its punishment.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:55 AM

TJ. Have you heard the major radio rant from the former Defensive lineman? Dude, it was awesome...

Its pretty bad so I can link it here but search

Former Miami Hurricane Dan Sileo Goes on Epic Rant About Team on WQAM
Old 09-14-2012, 07:47 AM

TJL,
In a way, all this Shapiro talk and the investigation is a good thing. They detract attention for your teams on field play this year!
Old 09-14-2012, 01:02 PM

That is a nice comment Alpha since the mighty Noles have put a whooping on the power house teams of Murray st.and Savannah st. With that being said we did look real bad last week and need to figure out how to get these young guys to stop blowing assignments or the coaches need to get this defense in the right sets to use what we have. The defense has a lot of growing to do and it is probably going to get worse before it gets better with the injuries to some starters a lot of young guys will be getting starts and that just adds to the learning curve. Alpha is this the year you guys win it all or was that last year or is it next year?

Matt
Old 09-15-2012, 07:39 PM

The only bright spot this year....
Old 09-15-2012, 08:02 PM

Hope it gets better for your team.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawg69 View Post
That is a nice comment Alpha since the mighty Noles have put a whooping on the power house teams of Murray st.and Savannah st. With that being said we did look real bad last week and need to figure out how to get these young guys to stop blowing assignments or the coaches need to get this defense in the right sets to use what we have. The defense has a lot of growing to do and it is probably going to get worse before it gets better with the injuries to some starters a lot of young guys will be getting starts and that just adds to the learning curve. Alpha is this the year you guys win it all or was that last year or is it next year?

Matt
Matt,
We'll be lucky to win the ACC, that alone the NC. Having said that...I'm feeling pretty confident about us being State Champs again.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:46 AM

Alpha,

You should feel confident about winning the state and should also have a good shot at making it to the title game with both your in state rivals being down and a pretty good schedule if they don't slip up and lose to someone they should not. I would love to see an ACC team win the title and quiet down the SEC fans a bit. Good luck the rest of the season except for that one game.

Matt