Help with value browning A5 16 gauge

tad1

Hey folks,
I was needing some input from those of you familiar with A5's.
Ive acquired a Belgium made browning A5 in 16 gauge. Ive determined by the serial number that it was made in 1929. It has two barrels; both are non-ribbed in full and cylinder constrictions, and both are chambered for 2 3/4". It is apparently a standard weight gun not the "sweet 16" model. The gun appears to be in average or better than average shape but it does have its imperfections. Also the stock has been refinished leaving the checkering a bit filled in. What might a fair value range be for this fine firearm?
Thanks very much for your input!

Attachments

• IMG_6421.jpg
    IMG_6421.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 4,407
  • IMG_6433.jpg
    IMG_6433.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 4,162
  • IMG_6434.jpg
    IMG_6434.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 4,165
  • IMG_6435.jpg
    IMG_6435.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 4,257
  • IMG_6436.jpg
    IMG_6436.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 4,479
  • IMG_6432.jpg
    IMG_6432.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 4,151
Last edited:

Michael F Sights

I would look at Cabelas Fine Gun Room website, their prices can give you a good idea . Also, the refinished stock reduces the value.

Doc_Holliday23

I am guessing that it is probably anywhere from $400-600, depending on who you put it in front of.

Browning will always be a collectible brand but that model in that condition really limits its desirability.

tad1

Thanks Doc! I have an interested fellow who randomly mentioned he was looking for a 16ga A5 and I informed him one was sitting in my safe. and he told me to come up with a number. I'd like to do him right but really didnt know where to start with value.

runswithbeer

i sold a yellow wood 59 model sweet 16 for 750.00 wood was orginal and blueing had silvered. beauty of a gun. im interested in the serial number would you mind posting it?

Jim Baker

Staff member
The fore end might be a replacement. The radiused front.

The older models had a more squared off fore end at the mag. cap.

Doc_Holliday23

The fore end might be a replacement. The radiused front.

The older models had a more squared off fore end at the mag. cap.

Nah, that's typical of a late 20's gun as seen here on this 1926 gun: http://www.armslist.com/posts/50612...ns-for-sale--browning-16ga--fn-belgium-auto-5

abMl5.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------

To the OP, your gun is in better shape than I expected. Pretty nice actually. But its a plain receiver (no engraving), plain barrel (no vent rib),and the biggest knock on the pre-war guns is that they were chambered for 2 9/16" shells. Some function ok with standard 2 3/4" shells but it is possible for them to create too much pressure in the chamber and malfunction. Therefore, it is recommended to shoot 2 1/2" shells through them and people don't want to pay a premium for a gun that they have to buy expensive, hard-to-find shells through.

$600 would probably be top dollar on this gun and you're likely closer to the $400 figure.

Desert Rat

Doc is in there on the value. About $400 for NRA Good condition up to about $575 for Excellent without the extra barrel. Figure $25 to $50 for the other barrel, based on condition. From the pictures, if I were buying, I'd go about $500 with both barrels. Maybe higher if I actually looked at it.
The gun was essentially unchaged from 1900 to 1973.
A gold trigger would signify a Sweet 16, but really doesn't affect the value, unless somebody is looking for a Sweet 16.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Nah, that's typical of a late 20's gun as seen here on this 1926 gun: http://www.armslist.com/posts/50612...ns-for-sale--browning-16ga--fn-belgium-auto-5

abMl5.jpg

To the OP, your gun is in better shape than I expected. Pretty nice actually. But its a plain receiver (no engraving), plain barrel (no vent rib),and the biggest knock on the pre-war guns is that they were chambered for 2 9/16" shells. Some function ok with standard 2 3/4" shells but it is possible for them to create too much pressure in the chamber and malfunction. Therefore, it is recommended to shoot 2 1/2" shells through them and people don't want to pay a premium for a gun that they have to buy expensive, hard-to-find shells through.

$600 would probably be top dollar on this gun and you're likely closer to the $400 figure.

Here is a '31 model. I had a '48 model and 51 model sent to B rowning to be rebuilt about 4 year apart. Both left with the squared off fore end came back with the radius one just like the one the were on the 90's models made in Japan.

Not saying it is for sure that he fore end has been replaced. Just have seen a good many A-5s. Never seen one that had been shot much that old that did not have more hair line cracks in the fore piece that the one in the OP.

That said. $450 tops to the right person.

Attachments

• brning 31.jpg
    brning 31.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 3,908

tad1

abMl5.jpg

Doc,
On the barrel it says "full 16 special steel 2 3/4".
I dont have the cylinder barrel in front of me now but I think it's 2 3/4" as well.
The serial number is 71xxx which was built in 1929 according to another website I found.
Do you reckon those barrels are original?
I have several old boxes of paper hull shells as well and had intended to shoot them up although they might be collectible.

Doc_Holliday23

Yes that serial no translates to 1929.

It is my understanding that ALL pre WWII guns are 2 9/16" chambers...

You can get a gunsmith to check the chamber for you or you can try to put a spent shell with the folds all the way out in the chamber and try to close the bolt and see if it'll close.

tv_racin_fan

I ran across an A5 in 16 guage today at a pawn shop with a price of $400 on it. Dont think it was in as nice of condition either. But it did have that select a choke on it.

RFWobbly

I am guessing that it is probably anywhere from $400-600, depending on who you put it in front of.

I'll second that. Prices on the A5 have dropped since ~2000.

Larry Rooks

Belgium A5's are bringing a premium unless they are beat to death. I have seen a 1940's era with the same safety as yours got for 950.00 and 2 sweet 16's go for 1200.00 ea, and all three had been refinihsed, which decreased the value. I have also seen em beat to death and sell in extremely ragged condidtion for under 300.00. Belgium A5's were bring premium prices long before the A5 was discontinued in 2000

Arrowhead95

I was thinking $450 before I looked at picks and read other posts.

After doing so I would say $350-400 based on condition. For arm is cracked in at least one place. Usually they are cracked on the bottom where you insert the shell. Yours is cracked on the side. No pics of the bottom. Numerous scratches on the stock as well. No vent rib.

Just my opinion. I bet it's a fine shooter though.

I think but am not sure that the safety was refered to as a suicide safety. Because you pull it with your finger much like you would the trigger. Thus sometimes confusing the shooter who pulled the trigger instead of the safety.