If you could go anywhere for a huge elk...where would it be??

ALLBEEF

Trying to decide where to apply for elk tags this yr. I'm thinking about NM or AZ or MT?

Anyone been and want to share their stories?? I've never been and don't have a clue.

Any good guides with huge bulls??

chpeterson

Hi. I sure do see a tremendous amount of good bulls coming from the three states you mention, especially the Southwest. Good luck if you go! I have been wanting to do a similar trip.

wildlifepro

Banned
Montana S W Colorado units 76 77 New mexico.All great places and pretty to look at.

Bluesky

Chama

When my son was 13 I ask him if he would like to take a special trip somewhere to make a life time memory. Kind of to my surprise he said he wanted to go elk hunting with a bow. I thought that would be great so after getting moms permission we booked through cabelas with the quinlan ranch in Chama NM. The have a 17 k acres spread and we were in elk every day. Guides were great. Everything was super. We had multiple set ups each day on bugling elk. We both shot elk mine was a 6x6 that scored 306. My son got a 5x5 the last night on a water hole but had a real real close opportunity on a giant in the 375 range our guide called in from a mile away. It was
intense. My son passes a shot at that elk at 45 yards and
at 25 yard for ethical reason. I could not have been
prouder of him. By the way getting any elk with a bow at
14 is pretty good. Chama is the place to go in my mind.

Lots of great spots but this one was awesome. Hope to go back one day but it was not a cheap trip. Cabelas really helped hook us up. Having a good guide is key for a new bee too. Good luck.

godogs57

New Mexico or AZ. I hunt NM exclusively. In general terms, you will do better at a "huge" elk on private ranches. That means landowner permits and $$$.

San Carlos, White Mountain Reservation have some monster bulls but you will not be willing to pay what they ask I'll bet....18K-30K.

There are a number of ranches that can get you a very very nice bull in the 325-340 range for around 8K-9K.

I love Vermejo Park Ranch in Raton, NM...simply the best ranch out there, end of discussion. The bull in my avatar came from there and would have made B&C if not for 6" snapped off a tine....and he only missed B&C by 1 6/8". He was my best bull. I have some other bulls in my profile photos that show what you can expect.

Not trying to tell you what to do, but if you have never been elk hunting, I'd go for a "good representative" of the species....a 300 bull, for example. That is a more reasonable expectation and will be more realistic for the average Joe's checkbook.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions...I'll be glad to help you.

Last edited:

AMBUSHER

Anywhere?

Trying to decide where to apply for elk tags this yr. I'm thinking about NM or AZ or MT?

Anyone been and want to share their stories?? I've never been and don't have a clue.

Any good guides with huge bulls??

New Zealand.....

florida boy

When my son was 13 I ask him if he would like to take a special trip somewhere to make a life time memory. Kind of to my surprise he said he wanted to go elk hunting with a bow. I thought that would be great so after getting moms permission we booked through cabelas with the quinlan ranch in Chama NM. The have a 17 k acres spread and we were in elk every day. Guides were great. Everything was super. We had multiple set ups each day on bugling elk. We both shot elk mine was a 6x6 that scored 306. My son got a 5x5 the last night on a water hole but had a real real close opportunity on a giant in the 375 range our guide called in from a mile away. It was
intense. My son passes a shot at that elk at 45 yards and
at 25 yard for ethical reason. I could not have been
prouder of him. By the way getting any elk with a bow at
14 is pretty good. Chama is the place to go in my mind.

Lots of great spots but this one was awesome. Hope to go back one day but it was not a cheap trip. Cabelas really helped hook us up. Having a good guide is key for a new bee too. Good luck.

X2 on Chama , NM

Ace1313

From all I have read NM or AZ. My uncle got a very nice 6X6 in BC. I know you can rifle hunt the rut up there as well. I think my uncle got a black bear, mountain goat and his elk on that trip.

Core Lokt

I have a buddy that guides in NM. Can't remember the place but Ted Turner owns it. The 2nd largest contiguous piece of land in the continental US. I thin he told me a bull tag during the rut is 15K......

Budda

Ifn you want to kill a big bull then go to one of the indian revervations in AZ or NM. Ifn you want to HUNT for a big bull fer a good price, send me a message and i can put you in touch with a good down home country folks in Idaho and Montana that do a bang up job and stick you in some elk.

fishbum2000

Northern Idaho. My friend shot a 280 class pope and young there two years ago

godogs57

I have a buddy that guides in NM. Can't remember the place but Ted Turner owns it. The 2nd largest contiguous piece of land in the continental US. I thin he told me a bull tag during the rut is 15K......

Thats Vermejo Park Ranch....580,000 acres in Raton. Bull tag in the rut isn't quite that high though.

satchmo

If I could go anywhere for elk it would definiately be Kentucky. We put in every year. Maybe one day we'll draw a tag.