Hulu Plus vs Netflix

Dr. Strangelove

I got a Roku for Christmas and I'm thinking of adding a streaming service.

I as I remember, Netflix had mostly older movies and shows, I think Hulu Plus has more new content.

Anyone have recent experience with both?

panfried0419

Got rid of Hulu. Netflix is awesome. Especially after 3 days of cabin fever.

Bassngal

I have a Roku with Netfix and Hulu Plus. You are right that Hulu Plus has newer content.
Also, if you miss one of your favorite prime time programs, you can usually watch it the next day on Hulu Plus. Most of the programs have about 5 episodes available so, if you missed last week or the week before, you can catch up.

Dr. Strangelove

Thanks, guys.

Given that both of them have a free trial period, I'll probably give them both a whirl and see which one, if either, or both I like.

I also downloaded Plexn for my Roku.
, so I may not need either.

bamaboy

Cancel your cable or lower it to the basic as basic gets and then get Hulu plus and Netflix. Hulu has the recent most up to date TV shows,NetFlix is mostly movies with some TV shows. If you did them both with just local channels your TV bill would be about $20 a month

hobbs27

I had both netflix and Hulu and found myself never watching hulu, so we canceled it. We watch the latest movies on vudu, and some on amazon prime. We watched every episode of prison break last year and didn't even realize it was so old. Lol. We don't care to watch the latest tv shows cause they are what they are.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I tried Hulu plus a couple years back, and found that the streaming speed was a lot slower once I signed up for the paid subscription that when I was using the free version. I don't think that the various media boxes (Roku, etc.) will run the non-subscription version. I've got a PC hooked up to the big screen as a monitor, so I just watch the regular Hulu (no charge) on it. The main difference is that the subscription Hulu Plus will have entire seasons of shows, while the free version will just keep the latest 3 or 4 episodes. You can still watch a lot of movies for free, too. Netflix is definitely worth it. They've started coming out with some of their own content (House of Cards, for one) that are really good.

Also, don't discount Amazon Prime. My Sony Media Player (like a Roku) allows me to watch that. Lots of content there, too.

Dr. Strangelove

Just found out Amazon does a free trial too. Imma hook'em all up and see who wins.

And, yes, sucks that Roku won't let you use Hulu on the device. That kind of thing burns me up.

3ringer

I just bought a Roku and subscribed to Amazon a Prime. With amazon you also get free shipping when ordering products from them. We have already saved some money with their free shipping. We paid 79 bucks for a year of amazon prime. Another thing I like is I can use my smart phone at work to search for movies. When I find a movie that I like , I add it to my watch list. When I get home and turn on Roku ,my watch list will have the movie I saved.

SarahFair

Does Hulu have programs like AMC, History, A&E, HBO, SHOWTIME, etc etc?

WestGaJohn

Does Hulu have programs like AMC, History, A&E, HBO, SHOWTIME, etc etc?

You have to be an HBO subscriber & Showtime subscriber through a cable company & use HBO Go & Showtime Anytime through a streaming device like Roku to see their programming.