GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Firearms > Muzzleloading

Old 02-17-2014, 04:20 PM

Default Cva Optima v2 or Wolf?

Can y'all give me some pros and cons on each gun. New to muzzleLoading.
Just give me your opinion.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:20 PM

either gun will do the job great. I owned the v1 optima and still own the v1 wolf. Theres just some minor changes with the v2 like the breaking lever.

I'd personally go with the v2 optima since there isn't much of a price jump, plus you can get a thumb hole stock version is thats what you like.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:28 PM

If your on a budget, I have the Wolf and its a great gun for the price. I can, and have, knocked down a pig at 200yds. It will shoot 1 1/2 inches at 100yds with 240gr Hornady XTP loads over 100gr of triple 7 pellets. I like it. And for $220 shipped to my house with a scope, I can not complain in the least. If you are looking for a budget setup, I recommend it.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:49 PM

Can't go wrong with either; I have the Wolf and Optima Pro Magnum... Shoot'em up !!
Attached Images

Last edited by Marlin_444; 02-20-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:07 PM

I have the accura V2, sub 1-inch groups at 100yds with 240 XTP and blackhorn
Old 02-20-2014, 07:31 PM

Good shootin Goshen Mtn Man !!
Old 03-11-2014, 07:05 PM

I picked up a CVA Wolf on CL for $120 with a bunch of ammo, powder and accessories over the holidays. It's a great shooting gun but there are two cons:

1. The position of the break action button will cause it to push in and drop your primer on the trail when wearing heavy clothes using a sling. Sling and carry it upside down and the problem goes away.

2. Watch out when you clean out the firing pin housing. The little spring will disappear on the floor somewhere if you're not careful. I've lost it twice and had to crawl around on the basement floor for 15 minutes looking for it!

Tip: You can fit two extra primers in the screw holes of the butt pad.

Mine came with fiber optic iron sights and a weaver mount. I'm using iron sights for now.

I bought a BH209 plug for it but haven't switched to BH yet. I've got too much Pyrodex around to justify buying anything else.

- Swamperdog
Old 03-28-2014, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamperdog View Post
I picked up a CVA Wolf on CL for $120 with a bunch of ammo, powder and accessories over the holidays. It's a great shooting gun but there are two cons:

1. The position of the break action button will cause it to push in and drop your primer on the trail when wearing heavy clothes using a sling. Sling and carry it upside down and the problem goes away.

2. Watch out when you clean out the firing pin housing. The little spring will disappear on the floor somewhere if you're not careful. I've lost it twice and had to crawl around on the basement floor for 15 minutes looking for it!

Tip: You can fit two extra primers in the screw holes of the butt pad.

Mine came with fiber optic iron sights and a weaver mount. I'm using iron sights for now.

I bought a BH209 plug for it but haven't switched to BH yet. I've got too much Pyrodex around to justify buying anything else.

- Swamperdog
I have been shooting a TC Omega for 4 years. after 3 shots with Pyrodex pellets I need a hammer to load it.And cant hit a 24" target at 75yds. Powder ring about 6" from bottom of barrel.
Pyrodex loose powder is a lot better. BUT.
I bought a 10 oz can of Blackhorn last year.
Now the pyrodex is just in case I ever run out of blackhorn.
Much cleaner burn. Better accuracy for me.
Went to Pyrodex loose powder. Problem was less. But
Old 04-27-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collardncornbread View Post
I have been shooting a TC Omega for 4 years. after 3 shots with Pyrodex pellets I need a hammer to load it.And cant hit a 24" target at 75yds. Powder ring about 6" from bottom of barrel.
Pyrodex loose powder is a lot better. BUT.
I bought a 10 oz can of Blackhorn last year.
Now the pyrodex is just in case I ever run out of blackhorn.
Much cleaner burn. Better accuracy for me.
Went to Pyrodex loose powder. Problem was less. But
I picked up a can of Blackhorn yesterday at BP and shot it today at the range. I too was using the 777 pellets, and would have the powder ring you talk about. I never had an issue with accuracy after a couple shots, but I had to scrub pretty good to get rid of the powder ring.

I'm pretty impressed with the Blackhorn so far. I didn't get to shoot much today, but here is what I found.
Worked from 85gr up to 100gr. I shot once at the beginning with 100gr 777 pellets and the 240gr XTP loads to confirm it was still zero'd as I left it. It was.

With a 100gr load of Blackhorn, I was shooting with the same POI as the 777. Awesome. I did not get to try a heavier load, but will see what 110gr and 120gr will do. No need to go over that.

I was using the 777 primers as well. Worked great with the pellets. However, with the Blackhorn there was a delay between when the hammer fell, and the rifle went off. I am not used to this, and did not like it. Luckily for me, I was previously told to ditch the 777 primers if I went to Blackhorn, so I picked up the regular remington sts primers, tried those out and bingo. Instant ignition.

I fired two shots before cleaning it. Loading too the same amount of effort as the 777 pellets after the barrel was fouled, but what I did see is that running a swab through the barrel cleaned it right out. I did not have the powder ring that I got with the pellets. Like I said, it never gave me issues before, but I figured its better to not have it.

My question is, do y'all measure out your powder in the funnel before every shot, or is there a way to use "quick loaders" with the loose powder?