Which would you plant?

mizuno24jad

We have 8 acres that we can plant in food plots, if you had to choose between a spring/summer plot or a fall/winter plot, which would you choose to plant to benefit the deer herd the most?

davidhelmly

If I had 8 acres to plant I would plant it all in the fall. I would do 6 acres of in clover/cereal grain mix and the other 2 acres in a brassica mix.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
(assuming you've soil tested and amended the soil)

I vote for clover too. I'm in middle Georgia and am getting a fall planted cereal grain, brassica and 3 clover mix, to carry me thru to the next fall. I also have a few plots of perennial, white clover as well.

Low(er) maintenance and lower costs.

Buckstop

I vote for clover too. I'm in middle Georgia and am getting a fall planted cereal grain, brassica and 3 clover mix, to carry me thru to the next fall. I also have a few plots of perennial, white clover as well.

This has worked good for us. We do oats and rye with a three clover mix, crimson, arrowleaf and red in early October it lasts into the summer depending on moisture. 8 to 9 months of production is a pretty good bang for your buck.

1gr8bldr

You say which time period would benefit the deer the most. Clover will do both. However, not quite the pulling power to hunt over, but those types are done and over offering no benefit. I don't have a clover field at the moment, however, when I did, during most times off the year, I get 1500 pics per week, and get to see all the local bucks. [the power company came in a widened the powerline where my field was by 20 ft+ each side. They tore my field up, however, once I get all that debris up with the stumps, I will plant me another clover field, even better]

mizuno24jad

Something like this sounds like a good plan, plant in the fall and last to the summer

1gr8bldr

I had a plot that lasted 7 years. It was as beautiful and lush at 7 years as it was the first. The only reason I lost it, the 7th year, A grass started trying to come up. I had loaned out my weed wiper to an uncle who decided to loan it out himself. By the time I got it back, it was too late. Lesson learned, don't be tempted to be a nice guy.

Forest Grump

We have 8 acres that we can plant in food plots, if you had to choose between a spring/summer plot or a fall/winter plot, which would you choose to plant to benefit the deer herd the most?

I would have 2 questions, to be able to answer yours (assuming you have done a soil test & limed the recommended amount):

1) What is your habitat like? (eg: What is available to your deer to eat in both warm & cool season?)

2) How large are the individual plots that comprise your 8 acres? (eg: Do you have 16 half-acre plots, or one that is 4 acres?)

Also, an idea of what the population per sq mile & a general idea of your management goals & acreage of your property would be helpful...

livetohunt

Knowing how the plots are situated on your land is definitely important info to know in answering your question. I would go with a combo in most situations. Assuming deer population is not extremely high, a summer plot like soybeans would be good because it would feed deer in the summer and in the winter. Some clover would be a great choice too. Then oats is always a good pure draw in the fall.

GeorgeShu

If your soil has correct ph and you provide adequate NPK, then I believe in planting a fall plot that will last one full year with just a little luck with the summer rains.

A mix of wheat, rye grain and oats if you like, along with medium red clover, arrow leaf clover, a good white clover, some daikon radishes and or purple top turnips.

Seed rate of 50+ lbs of grains, 15 lbs of the clovers and 1 lb each of radish and turnip. I mix all the seeds together, spread them over well prepared seed bed and run a rake over the top to bury them lightly. Do this right in front of a rain.

With luck you will feed deer and turkeys from mid Oct till you prepare for the next crop next Sept.

Best bang for your buck, minimum work load, will have something growing for entire year that critters will feed on, nest in, eat bugs in! Hide in.......you get the idea.