Note to Self about Late Planting.....

95g atl

Dear Self. Remember, planting Fall food plots means plant in EARLY FALL, not almost WINTER. (this isn't Florida).

Made the mistake to starting my winter plot a little later this year. Threw radish, winter peas, clover, rape, seeds in my small food plot in the backyard. With this cold as heck weather, nothing has grown more than the height of grass. haha

Somehow I thought this was going to be a mild winter (i heard that more than once on the long range forecasts). NOT TRUE. This has been a really cold couple of weeks.

Next year I am going to start in late september (like I should have this year).

Maybe I will have better luck with the Spring plot. :)

95g atl

double edge sword. too early = bugs and drought. got to golidlocks it!

LOL....true true.
It was a fairly warm October. I recall during black powder, I was being torn up by bugs at the club. No way I wanted to plant "winter plot" when it was 85 degrees.

tree cutter 08

I like to plant around labor day. Planted some about 1st week in October and it did OK but no way I would plant later than that here in northeast ga.

95g atl

We plant in late August / Early September at the club and it's been hit and miss with the survival rate. Primarily b/c of the heat AND frequent lack of rain.

Our club is on the same lines as Augusta......(HOT).

My food plot at home is Metro, White Co tends to be a few degrees cooler and frost date is perhaps 2 weeks ahead of ours?

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
We tend to get hot dry days in Aug,Sept and sometimes into Oct.before the rain starts.Talbot Co.

1gr8bldr

I have an adjoining land owner whom I used to joke about his early planting. I would think as long as I don't get into Oct waiting on rain, then I am OK. Goal being mid Sept. However, that time of year and especially near OCT is terribly dry. I have most my seed left from last year because I kept waiting.... and it just got to late, to dry. He always planted in August. He actually has no experience, that's just when he does it. However, I have observed that his food plots do fairly well. Reason being that earlier gets the evening thunder storms. His plot gets established, yet does not grow much due to lack of soil prep. This year, I was beginning to think that his early planting was going to hurt him. Another week of drought and it would have been done. It went from lush to dried up in a month. However, it came back to life with the next rain. Had I not observed his early planting, I would have never agreed that it was a good option, not without reservations, but a good option. Planted thicker, growing bigger, would have required more water. Yet his plots are put in with a tiller, so he has no root. This year, if I can get ready, I hope to plant mid august. But mine will have the ability for the roots to reach deep for moisture. I'm tired of not having the tonage of food that I should have. Planting to late, in NC, and it's green, but it's not feeding alot of deer. I did plant as late as Oct 12 once. It came up green, but that's about it. Tired of green plots. I want a food plot

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I have an adjoining land owner whom I used to joke about his early planting. I would think as long as I don't get into Oct waiting on rain, then I am OK. Goal being mid Sept. However, that time of year and especially near OCT is terribly dry. I have most my seed left from last year because I kept waiting.... and it just got to late, to dry. He always planted in August. He actually has no experience, that's just when he does it. However, I have observed that his food plots do fairly well. Reason being that earlier gets the evening thunder storms. His plot gets established, yet does not grow much due to lack of soil prep. This year, I was beginning to think that his early planting was going to hurt him. Another week of drought and it would have been done. It went from lush to dried up in a month. However, it came back to life with the next rain. Had I not observed his early planting, I would have never agreed that it was a good option, not without reservations, but a good option. Planted thicker, growing bigger, would have required more water. Yet his plots are put in with a tiller, so he has no root. This year, if I can get ready, I hope to plant mid august. But mine will have the ability for the roots to reach deep for moisture. I'm tired of not having the tonage of food that I should have. Planting to late, in NC, and it's green, but it's not feeding alot of deer. I did plant as late as Oct 12 once. It came up green, but that's about it. Tired of green plots. I want a food plot
Once you get a perennial clover plot established you don't have to worry about planting dates.I usually overseed mine every Oct. Been planted almost 10 years.

1gr8bldr

Once you get a perennial clover plot established you don't have to worry about planting dates.I usually overseed mine every Oct. Been planted almost 10 years.
I never have overseeded???? Never needed to? Both times I lost my clover and started over, a 7 and a 5 year old field, it was lost due to equipment. I was surprised how well it did not to need overseeding. I thought it "under seeded" itself as long as it was being browsed?

1gr8bldr

I overseeded corn into my clover one year. My clover was so lush, underbeath, it was always wet. The corn came up great as planned, feeding off the nitrogen of the clover built up over the years. However, it was a mistake. I could not use my weed wiper to control weeds. Eventually, I left some corn standing, weaving the wiper around. I learned something from this. Most years my clover looked like a groomed ballfield. The deer a little uneasy about walking out in it. But with the corn, standing random, they felt at home. Ever since, I don't mind allowing a few dogfinel stalks.

tree cutter 08

This year I'm going to plant sorghum again but in strips. Then plant my fall plot between them. I left a 10ft wide strip around the edge last year and planted it with oats when I did the rest and was amazed at how the deer used that 10ft wide strip around the edge. Had pictures all day in that strip next to the woods and they would wait till nearly dark to use the rest of the field. The sorghum gave them the cover they like.