Who is the best....

Nitro

Banned
The best turkey is probably some older gentleman none of us know. He isn`t on the internet, doesn`t care about talkin` to others about huntin` turkeys, keeps most everything to himself, and could care less what folks think of his huntin` abilities. He doesn`t think about how good he is either. He just likes to hunt and kill turkeys, and he does so, very well.

When I as a child, I was lucky enough to know a couple of gentlemen of this caliber.

So, you have met Arthur Truelove??:D

Hawken2222

The best turkey is probably some older gentleman none of us know. He isn`t on the internet, doesn`t care about talkin` to others about huntin` turkeys, keeps most everything to himself, and could care less what folks think of his huntin` abilities. He doesn`t think about how good he is either. He just likes to hunt and kill turkeys, and he does so, very well.

When I as a child, I was lucky enough to know a couple of gentlemen of this caliber.

Herb McClure comes to mind as well. I am not sure if he is on here, but this guy has been flat out doing it for 50plus years.

georgia_home

I don't know about the best, but the worst is probably me!

"The best lack all conviction and the worst are filled with passion and intensity." I heard that's a yates quote, but I am not sure.

I hope to get one this year, it will only be my 3rd season. So for now I read and watch and hope I can get done this year.

mauser64

Amen to Roscoe Reams. My mentor is a man named Preston Mulkey. He fits your description perfectly. Probably not on the net but a man of 60+ years of exp in the ga woods. Killed his first deer in the late 40's, not sure about the first turkey but it was prolly before I knew what a turkey was, and was filling up the boat with bass before Ray Scott wet a line. Anyway, he won't show up in any newspaper, tv show or internet blog but "sportsman" is an understatement for what he is!:clap:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The two that I knew were Albert Pickle and C. I. Kirby. Both are gone now. Mr. Kirby was instrumental in my upbringin` and thought process. He was my maternal Grandfather.

Arrow3

I never knew any "old school" turkey hunters when I was learning...My dad got me started and he killed a few birds...I developed my own style over the years....I don't beat around the bush about my turkey hunting though...When Im standing there waiting for it to break light in the spring time, im straight up focused on busting one's head wide open....:)

clent586

I never knew any "old school" turkey hunters when I was learning...My dad got me started and he killed a few birds...I developed my own style over the years....I don't beat around the bush about my turkey hunting though...When Im standing there waiting for it to break light in the spring time, im straight up focused on busting one's head wide open....:)

I am kinda like you. I did not know anyone when I started other than the voice of Ben Rogers Lee on a cassette tape. It came with a camo jones cap, Olt Owl Hooter and a Lynch World Champion caller from Nitelite mail order catalog. I managed to scrap enough money together to buy some of the state of the art Jim Crumbley Trebark attire as well! My dad did not hunt and I knew no one who did turkey hunt. I have been fortunate as well over the years to meet some great hunters and take a little from each. I was over at a certain someones house the other night whos name I will not mention ......as I am sure it would embarass him:D. He was showing and running some sure enough fine callers and it got me fired up to say the least. It sure took my mind of waterfowling for a day or two and got my fire lit for the spring. Good luck to you all this spring while your bustin' them noggins!

Gaswamp

it that time of year

turkeykirk

Lot of banned folks in this thread.:rofl:

mike1225

I noticed how many of those guys were banned. I got to thinking what was the story behind some of the ones that used to post all the time. I've been on here probably 10 years but don't post too often. It don't take long to figure why some get banned.

Dan DeBord

I asked Mr. Herb McClure who the best gobbler hunter he ever met. He said a retired warden who lives Fannin Co. I'm proud to call both these men friends.