Any old PC Gamers on here?

PappyHoel

First one I had was a 110 baud Rayovac with an acoustic coupler. Do you remember tweaking DOS modem programs trying to get another bytes worth of speed out of them?

I had to turn in homework programs in binary.

I don't miss dial-up.

We used to run a bbs on our 9600 baud modem and thought that was the best thing ever. We even played the turn text based game called 'trade wars'

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
You guys are all lame. Asteroids is where it's at. I set the all time record at Aunt Charlie's in Buckhead 30 years ago.:bounce:

http://www.freeasteroids.org/

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
I'm considering picking up PUBG on xbox one - do you have to play it a ton to get good enough to enjoy it?

Dr. Strangelove

Civilization is a great series also,,,, not too old and not a fps,,,, but good none the less,,,,

Ha! Almost failed out of UGA in 1991 because of Sid Meir's Civilization! My favorite game ever!

abrannon

10 gb....

Remember when you were the bees knees if you had a 10 gig hard drive? I remember swapping 5 1/4 disks to play leisure suit Larry :)

Heck I remember loading programs with tapes. The first (Hard Drive) my father had was really a 4 KB ROM Drive (Cartridge) The first real HD we had was giant it was 4 MB.

I bought my first 1 GB HD in 94. I had to buy it on a credit plan it was so darn expensive. Then it was not until late in 95 before I got a computer that could read more than 500 MB's per partition.

abrannon

Did any of you have the Commodore Vic 20? On those you connected them to a TV thru an RF converter and you had to type in all you games until they came out with the cassette tape.

You would spend a couple of days typing in all that code just to play a game.

PappyHoel

I'm considering picking up PUBG on xbox one - do you have to play it a ton to get good enough to enjoy it?

You can play any style you want. I played solo for the first day to get used to the controls. Me and my buddy made 2nd and 3rd last night out of 100. You can team up, play solo or play with a squad.

Ive only been back to gaming since last Friday.

WayneB

Did any of you have the Commodore Vic 20? On those you connected them to a TV thru an RF converter and you had to type in all you games until they came out with the cassette tape.

You would spend a couple of days typing in all that code just to play a game.

yep, and a commodore 64, and an Amiga, then the Atari 1040 then a DOS machine.

abrannon

I remember the Amiga. One of teh guys in my platoon got one around 89-90. Dragon's Lair was incredible of that thing.

PappyHoel

PUBG player here plus some BF4 and BF1. Friend me - SilencerGA. Gonna be 43 myself in 8 days.

Download the experimental server quick. The experimental server will be up tonight at 10pm EST and it will be on all weekend. It has the new 4x4 map. I was part of the beta for the map and its very FUN!

PUBG’s third map will open for all players to test this weekend
https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/07/pubg-third-map-open-all-players-test-this-weekend/

Im sorry i didnt reply to this thread sooner. I just thought of it after reading about the experimental server. Unfortunately, the game wont allow me to add you unless you are online and we play a match together. You cant send invites (yet).

Last edited:

PappyHoel

Wow, didn't even know this thread existed.

Don't mean to derail the PUBG talk, but if you want a good PC game that's in the vane of "outdoors," check out Dont Starve.

It's a rogue-like game, so if you don't like perma-death, then this one might not be for you.

Haven't played in a while, but the endless gathering and combos you can get make this game so addicting.

It's a survive-to-thrive type game.

Immense fun!

Ive heard of it, but there are other games like it out there. Rust and Dayz are 2 of the same games. The maker of Dayz created PUBG, its sort of along the same genre .

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I love solitaire

whitetailfreak

When I was a young un', I would love going to Godfather's Pizza and playing Pac Man and Galaga. That's about the extent of my gaming.

AccUbonD

I go way back to logging in to AOL 56k and playing Delta Force: Task Force Dagger. I've slowed way down as I've got older but the urge hits sometimes. Recently it hit and I bought Arma 3 and played for a few weeks then quit.

The one that I always want to get is DCS world. I have the demo but use keyboard to play. Reason I haven't bought the game is the investment needed to play the game correctly.

DCHunter

I'm 42 and remember starting with playing my neighbor's Atari when I was about 4-5. Then we got a Commodore 128 a few years later. Had all kinds of games on it that you would load with floppy disk. Had to type something at the command prompt like 'load"gamename",8,1 or something like that. Each game seemed to have its own variation of that command to get it started. Right now, I'm stuck in my ways and all I play is whatever the current version of Call of Duty is current on XboxOne and only play hardcore team deathmatch. I like the 1-2 shot kill "realism" of that mode and I just like how I can get in a game and it only lasts a few minutes so I don't get sucked into to playing hours at a time. I just don't have time to play some of these games that take hours anymore.

PappyHoel

I go way back to logging in to AOL 56k and playing Delta Force: Task Force Dagger. I've slowed way down as I've got older but the urge hits sometimes. Recently it hit and I bought Arma 3 and played for a few weeks then quit.

The one that I always want to get is DCS world. I have the demo but use keyboard to play. Reason I haven't bought the game is the investment needed to play the game correctly.

Arma 3 is used for special forces training. It will take you a full day to complete a mission and an hour flight time in the Black hawk