Giant Boar killed under the Moultrie Hog Light *Video

Realtree Ga

I've had this boar coming to my corn feeder every night between 10pm and Midnight. Decided to buy the Moultrie Hog Light to go under my feeder and was able to finally kill this monster. These feeder lights are awesome. I was around 110 yards from the feeder and was able to see him perfectly with my regular scope.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Pretty cool

Realtree Ga

Nice! Much of a shield on that boar?

Ha! It had a shield alright. I bet the hide alone weighed 80 lbs. I didn't think I would ever get the hide off once I got to mid back. I would guess at least 4" thick from that point on. I had to sharpen my knife twice while skinning. I had to carry the hide off in my skinning bucket by itself it was so heavy and then come back for the carcass.

Yup, those big old solitary boars that go over 250 or so get some really thick, substantial shields. I've been lucky enough to kill three over 300 and the shields are(were) unbelievable. One shield stopped a .44mag 270gr JFN out of a Marlin Carbine and that shot never even bled (45 yards). He did succumb finally to 4 more 270s, the last at 10'. He is seen on these pages often in a sidebar ad from Woods N Water.

This is the smallest of the 3, killed in Johnson County in 2015. His shield kept a 200gr XP3 out of a .325WSM from exiting, the bullet dropped him but was stuck in the offside shield; shot was about 75-80 yards. The black one in the pic is the hog seen here in the ad run by Woods N Water.

You boar is a stud! And I enjoyed your report on the light and your plan in taking that smart old stud boar! :cool:

Attachments

• 0217151034b-10.jpg
    0217151034b-10.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 1,726
  • 0217151116c-4-6.jpg
    0217151116c-4-6.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,723
  • 0223160908.jpg
    0223160908.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,731

Realtree Ga

Yup, those big old solitary boars that go over 250 or so get some really thick, substantial shields. I've been lucky enough to kill three over 300 and the shields are(were) unbelievable. One shield stopped a .44mag 270gr JFN out of a Marlin Carbine and that shot never even bled (45 yards). He did succumb finally to 4 more 270s, the last at 10'. He is seen on these pages often in a sidebar ad from Woods N Water.

This is the smallest of the 3, killed in Johnson County in 2015. His shield kept a 200gr XP3 out of a .325WSM from exiting, the bullet dropped him but was stuck in the offside shield; shot was about 75-80 yards. The black one in the pic is the hog seen here in the ad run by Woods N Water.

You boar is a stud! And I enjoyed your report on the light and your plan in taking that smart old stud boar! :cool:

Love that trophy room. I probably should have shoulder mounted this guy. Oh well, a Euro will have to do. That is a hoss pig in your pic. Makes me feel even more confident in the pic comparisons that mine had to be close to that 300 mark.

IMHO, hogs and black bears are very often very overstated, weight-wise. I watched your video a couple of times and believe your boar is what you figured. Congratulations again and I hope you enjoy some good BBQ!

I have several other mounts and have nearly run out of room. I decided to get my first hog euro done (Blondie) and also did my Tn buck this year. Euros are very nice and I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Attachments

• 0523161940.jpg
    0523161940.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,704

Realtree Ga

IMHO, hogs and black bears are very often very overstated, weight-wise.

I agree 100%. I've seen a lot of bears people claimed to be 200 or 300 pounds and the actual weight is usually about 60% of their estimate. LOL. I didn't want to be that guy claiming this was a 300 pounder and it be more like 200. I know that I'm a 200 pounder and that thing was much bigger than me. :biggrin2:

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I agree 100%. I've seen a lot of bears people claimed to be 200 or 300 pounds and the actual weight is usually about 60% of their estimate. LOL. I didn't want to be that guy claiming this was a 300 pounder and it be more like 200. I know that I'm a 200 pounder and that thing was much bigger than me. :biggrin2:

Do what?!?! Where you hiding it?:rofl:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Thats a big ole pig right there! Very nice!:cheers:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nice big ol' hog!

Oddly, I have had kind of the opposite experience with estimating hog weights. The times I have been around a skinning shed with a scale on the gambrel, 90% of folks have overestimated the weight of deer, but most tend to way underestimate the weight of a hog.

Realtree Ga

Nice big ol' hog!

Oddly, I have had kind of the opposite experience with estimating hog weights. The times I have been around a skinning shed with a scale on the gambrel, 90% of folks have overestimated the weight of deer, but most tend to way underestimate the weight of a hog.

I've bought myself a scale so now I won't have to guestimate. :flag: