Goin' trad this year. Need some arrow advice.

pnome

So, I've decided to go traditional this year. Had some Cabela's gift certificates burning a hole in my pocket and I went and bought a Frontier longbow about a month ago.

It's 68" with a 45lbs draw. I've been practicing with it on the regular and intend to keep practicing all summer long in order to be ready for deer season. So far, I've got things pretty well dialed in @25yrds. Made some improvements to my form after watching some youtube videos and I even got my first "robin hood" last week.

But I'm using some old aluminum arrows I had laying around and I want to go with wood. I also need to think about what kind of broadheads I'm going to go with.

I'm kind of torn right now. I know I need to practice some more with the wood arrows, but should I go ahead and get them with the broadheads glued on now and start practicing with them (i've got a couple blob targets so no issues there)? OR should I order some with field points and then get some more with broadheads later?

Broadhead recommendations for deer with a 45lb bow?

Is 6 going to be enough or should I buy 12?

My research shows that 3 rivers archery has what seems to be the best deal, but is there any place where I could get a better deal on arrows?

Thanks in advance for any arrow help you might offer.

Oh, and because I know you guys like pics, here she is:

Attachments

• 2016-04-18 16.18.49.jpg
    2016-04-18 16.18.49.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 233

Dennis

Buy 12 have 6 with field points and 6 with broadheads. I would get a test kit of arrows to see what spine the bow likes. Then you would have several different places you could get arrows. I like Douglas fir better than cedar. Surewood is a great place to get premium wood arrows

sawtooth

Good to hear. Wood arrows are the way to go. When ordering your arrows, staY away from big stores- deal with a place that can give you the attention that you are going to need to get you going. For Douglas fir- Surewood shafts. For cedar, wapiti archery is hard to beat. I've heard great things about RMS gear too, just never have traded there.

2wheelfoster

Dendy - sawtooth makes some fine wood arrows! As for broadheads.... I have been shooting the Ace 2 blade 150 gr. and love them. Sharpen up nice and hold a good edge. Plus... they wont break the bank.

SELFBOW

Dialed in to 25yds and you just started? I've been at it 8 yds and don't ever see 25 yds. You will win every 3d tournament in the world if you're dialed in like that. Tell us what you did to get that figured out so fast?��

What's your arrow Weight at now?

Last edited:

Clipper

You did well in choosing a bow. It was wise to start out at 45#, many hunters start out heavier and end up with form problems. If you are dialed in at 25 yds it sounds like the aluminum arrows you are shooting are spined correctly for the bow and your nocking point is set correctly. Wood arrows are thicker than aluminum and you will need to adjust your nock point to shoot them.

The advice to buy a test set was good. You also need to learn how to tune your arrows to your bow. Since you are ordering wood arrows I would Google "paper tuning arrows" and use that technique to decide which spine and what arrow length you need. As you learn more about tuning you will understand how spine, length, and point weight affect arrow flight. One last bit of advice - big feathers correct shooting errors (Robert Carter said that). Get 5 or 5 1/2" feathers.

If you have problems ask questions here, folks will be glad to help. A member who lives close to you will also be happy to shoot with you and give you tips and pointers. Welcome to traditional bowhunting.

pnome

Dialed in to 25yds and you just started? I've been at it 8 yds and don't ever see 25 yds. You will win every 3d tournament in the world if you're dialed in like that. Tell us what you did to get that figured out so fast?��

What's your arrow Weight at now?

No idea what the arrow weight is. I'm shooting 125gr field points though.

I'm not completely new to instinctive archery though. I learned on an old 55lbs recurve many moons ago, but haven't touched it in about 10 years.

pnome

You did well in choosing a bow. It was wise to start out at 45#, many hunters start out heavier and end up with form problems. If you are dialed in at 25 yds it sounds like the aluminum arrows you are shooting are spined correctly for the bow and your nocking point is set correctly. Wood arrows are thicker than aluminum and you will need to adjust your nock point to shoot them.

The advice to buy a test set was good. You also need to learn how to tune your arrows to your bow. Since you are ordering wood arrows I would Google "paper tuning arrows" and use that technique to decide which spine and what arrow length you need. As you learn more about tuning you will understand how spine, length, and point weight affect arrow flight. One last bit of advice - big feathers correct shooting errors (Robert Carter said that). Get 5 or 5 1/2" feathers.

If you have problems ask questions here, folks will be glad to help. A member who lives close to you will also be happy to shoot with you and give you tips and pointers. Welcome to traditional bowhunting.

Changing the knocking point might be an issue. It's not one of those brass things, it's served on. Guy at the store did that for me. The arrows I've got fly pretty straight, though I certainly haven't paper tuned or anything.

I'll be ordering the test set. As for feathers, what's up with Flu-Flus? What's the point there? Are they easier to shoot?

Mudfeather

I would wait a while before switching to wood. Wood shafts will give you a few variables to deal with and think about. Also they just arent as durable. You will break some. I would stay with what you are shooting well and dont throw to many changes in to quickly.

Shooting at a live critter with no sights can be enough to deal with at first..I do love wood and made my own for years. They fly quieter and are just romantic..dont tell my wife I know that word..