Living near chicken houses

merc123

I've found a house online but the only issue is that it's within 1,000 feet of two different chicken farms. One has 4 houses the other 2. I've experienced the chicken odor so I'm a bit wary. Anyone live close to one?

sparky

chickens

not only odor,but FLIES and lots of them,my brother has 4 houses and lives about 2000 ft from them :cry:

SarahFair

We use to keep a boat up at a marina on lake lanier and ran with some people that had house boats so we would stay the whole weekend.
During the nights (and sometimes days) when the wind was right you couldnt barely stand stay outside for the smell! It was pretty bad.

marknga

GONetwork Member
My folks live in Franklin County and I would guess that the nearest chicken house is a 3/4 mile away or so and some days ..... well some days it is rough. And the flies, the flies can be overwhelming.

fulldraw74

We have them approx. 700' - 800' feet away..... The only time you ever smell them is when they are cleaning them out and that usually lasts a few days. The other down side is when they come to catch the chicken. They catch them all night and make enough noise that it keeps us awake....

merc123

I'm thinking that's the reason it hasn't sold because based on a website I found it originally listed for $225k (appraised is around $208) back in 2009 and it's now down to $123k. They dropped it $31k in the past 2 weeks.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Just remember if you do buy it....... Those chicken houses were there first, as were the people that run them. We have had folks that move in raise immortal cain about my grandfather's farm and it has been there for 60 years.........:shoot:

maker4life

The neighbors have four acroos the road from me and the only time I smell them is when they're loading up the spreader trucks .

SarahFair

I'm thinking that's the reason it hasn't sold because based on a website I found it originally listed for $225k (appraised is around $208) back in 2009 and it's now down to $123k. They dropped it $31k in the past 2 weeks.

Just remember its going to be hard to sell in the future too.

swamp hunter

I got two horses next door and when the Wind is right ..........
I just can,t fathom buying a home next to that. And as Sarah say,s It,s gonna be hard to sell again. What looks like a Bargin now might not be so good one day.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
The neighbors have four acroos the road from me and the only time I smell them is when they're loading up the spreader trucks .

That's probably because you're used to it.

T

merc123

House wasn't even worth looking at. I drove up to the chicken houses and you could definitely smell them. You couldn't at the house, but it was a cooler day and the wind was swirling. Anyway, on to the next house! This next "good deal" will probably be next to a Satist cult. Thanks guys!

Luke0927

some of my families house are a mile or so down the road....I'm about used to it but is ruff when its spread on the pasture a couple hundred feed from your house....and it doesnt' rain for 3 weeks like this year.

DYI hunting

If you find another house around chicken houses, they are not that bad. I live around 1,000 feet from 4 of them. Sure beats living beside a bunch of neighbors in a subdivision.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Nothing like finding city folks looking for total perfection in the country.

Not pointing this at the OP.......... But you know what else just burns me up..... These same folks who move up here from Florida or Atlanta or wherever they come from........ They get here and gripe and complain about things being the way they are and want it like it was where they came from............:huh::rolleyes: Then WHY did you move here....... if it was so nice back "home" take your tail back where you came from.......:shoot:

Sunshine1

My father-in-law hauled in a truckload of chicken poo to spread out in his garden. It was a HUGE mound. He wasn't ready to do anything with it so he covered the mound with a huge sheet of plastic.

Let me tell ya..........the smell was horrendous.:crazy: I thought something had died in his yard. The neighbor had called the gas company to come check for a leak. Then she called the law because she swore there was a dead body nearby. No joke.

I wouldn't live near a chicken farm if they GAVE me the house!!!!

Sunshine1

Not pointing this at the OP.......... But you know what else just burns me up..... These same folks who move up here from Florida or Atlanta or wherever they come from........ They get here and gripe and complain about things being the way they are and want it like it was where they came from............:huh::rolleyes: Then WHY did you move here....... if it was so nice back "home" take your tail back where you came from.......:shoot:

Hey now............as much as I like where I live........I think Georgia is great. It would be my second choice of where to live. ;) Is it the city-folks you're talking about??

I have lived in Hall and now Jackson(1000ft. away from 5 chicken houses) and about 1 mile from Wayne Poultry.....Parents live in Lumpkin.....you are stuck with the smell....and I work at the Felony Probation Office in Gainesville right next to Mar-Jac and behind Pilgrims Pride....just tend to get use to it....I have been up here for 4 years now.....transplant from Clayton/Henry County....I'll take chicken crap over trash and SMOG!