How many egg sacs does a garden spider lay?

cmshoot

We have a large garden spider on our front porch, been there for months. Even though it's right beside the front door, we've let her be. My wife even turns on the front porch light at night to attract bugs to her web.

One thing we didn't want was lots of baby spiders that close to the front door. I kept an eye out and when I saw that she had laid her egg sac, I removed it and put it in the woods in a tree.

Since then she has laid 3 more, for a total of 4 (so far). Is this normal, or is it cuz I've been taking them.

Washington95

Little late for this response, but we had one near our front door, a huge spider, which we left alone. She had over time three large egg cases, one about size of end of man's thumb, next a little smaller, and last one a little smaller still.

We checked on her fairly often, and soon after found her lying dead under her web.

Walked into many a web in early morning dark going hunting. Didn't really like it much, but I think those big spiders are nice to have around.

And read somewhere that black bears loved to eat them!

cmshoot

Thanks for the reply. Better late than never!

I get huge garden spiders around my house. We love watching their progress as they get bigger, spin egg sacs and eventually die.