Catching the big ones

Darkhorse

I hang a feeder about 10 yards from the door and when the same group of hogs are regularly coming to the bait then I turn off the feeder and start throwing out my corn in front of the door and inside. It usually takes a few nights before all of them start feeding inside and get comfortable.
When I'm confident they are comfortable inside then I run my tripcord across the trap about 2/3's of the way from the door, then bait heavy between the cord and door, and also throw some beyond the cord.
The hogs come in and feed on the heavy corn and after a while the smaller ones start wandering around and eventually trip the cord, catching the whole lot.
Wear rubber boots when refreshing the bait.
If you walk in on hogs feeding on the corn you can forget about catching any of them. They won't come back.
You don't need a floor. Get rid of it. They won't root under it but may lift it so tie the trap down with stakes or augers. That wire floor will stop a lot of them from ever going in.
Here's a link to a good one I caught some years back.
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=690278&highlight=

There are some good posts in this thread, including a photo showing this big boar slamming into the walls of the trap. Tremendous power.
Also a little info on how I got him into the trap. I messed with him for well over a week before he would go into the trap. Finally I got a bag of sugar coated donuts and broke a few up outside the door, then a couple of nights later I started throwing pieces into the trap. He didn't hesitate to go in after them, but 3 nights in a row his big butt hit the door and tripped it. All he did was back out and stand at the door stareing in at the donut pieces.
I ended up redoing my trip setup and raking any corn kernal I could find away from the door. Next morning I had him. But he was pretty vicous about trying to get through the wire at me. You must have a strong setup.
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=888919&highlight=

All this is just what works for me. Your mileage may vary.

95g atl

I hang a feeder about 10 yards from the door and when the same group of hogs are regularly coming to the bait then I turn off the feeder and start throwing out my corn in front of the door and inside. It usually takes a few nights before all of them start feeding inside and get comfortable.
When I'm confident they are comfortable inside then I run my tripcord across the trap about 2/3's of the way from the door, then bait heavy between the cord and door, and also throw some beyond the cord.
The hogs come in and feed on the heavy corn and after a while the smaller ones start wandering around and eventually trip the cord, catching the whole lot.
Wear rubber boots when refreshing the bait.
If you walk in on hogs feeding on the corn you can forget about catching any of them. They won't come back.
You don't need a floor. Get rid of it. They won't root under it but may lift it so tie the trap down with stakes or augers. That wire floor will stop a lot of them from ever going in.
Here's a link to a good one I caught some years back.
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=690278&highlight=

There are some good posts in this thread, including a photo showing this big boar slamming into the walls of the trap. Tremendous power.
Also a little info on how I got him into the trap. I messed with him for well over a week before he would go into the trap. Finally I got a bag of sugar coated donuts and broke a few up outside the door, then a couple of nights later I started throwing pieces into the trap. He didn't hesitate to go in after them, but 3 nights in a row his big butt hit the door and tripped it. All he did was back out and stand at the door stareing in at the donut pieces.
I ended up redoing my trip setup and raking any corn kernal I could find away from the door. Next morning I had him. But he was pretty vicous about trying to get through the wire at me. You must have a strong setup.
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=888919&highlight=

All this is just what works for me. Your mileage may vary.

Yes sir, strong setup indeed. Thx for referencing my traps above.

Last year I trapped a big ole nasty boar in my portable 4x8 trap. Had it T-posted into the ground (if I didn't he would have walked away WITH the trap). He ended up rooting about 18" down. Shot him and we couldn't get him out of the hole. Had to use the truck to pull him out....
It took all I had for David and I to get it in the back of the truck....and David is bigger than me. Wish I would have weighed him.... Have a picture of him taking up the width of the toyota. Big hog. Big cutters.

In my old corral trap another "escapee" ended up beating the heck out of the trap, bending the cattle panels and broke out of the gate. Moving FWD all my corral traps have guillotine style doors with 3/4" plywood.