Shad on Allatoona

t k

We have put in at little river the last couple of weekends and haven't been able to catch shad either trip. Is anyone else having trouble finding them in this area right now? We have a Garmin sidescan and have seen only a couple of small schools. I don't remember having this much trouble before at this time of year. We looked through the no wake areas around little river and the up through rose creek. Is there a better part of the lake to focus on for shad right now? Thanks

t k

I hadn't thought about a shad kill over the winter,but that would help explain it. Thanks

brianj

same here. three weeks ago, threw a couples times and loaded the tank. two weeks ago, had a hard time finding them at little river.
This past weekend went to kellogg and think i caught a half dozen. the ones i did find were in back of coves.
I'd agree, never had this much trouble catching bait this time of year before.
There are plenty of them bunched up someone, just need to find them and when you do, it's a one and done throw...
I'll hoping be out again friday trying - Good luck

mpwarrak

Wow, glad I'm not alone with this problem... Switched to a pontoon boat this year, (now I'm in your "boat" brianj!), and I was thinking maybe it was the way I mounted the lights or something... Been out three times, caught a half dozen shad with lots of throws, the first time and this last time I couldn't get a single one to save my life! And I'm trying mid-lake, near where I launch at Bartow Gatewood.

So we got some kind of problem with the shad out there! The good news is the fish were hungry, ended up getting 3 bluegills with hook and worm, caught two 3 lb spots and a small striper. Coulda had more fish with more bait!

t k

Does the cold weather affect the gizzards as it does the threadfin? I assume lake acworth is shallower and may have suffered worse than allatoona? It may be time to try brushy branch.

I haven't been on the lake since last spring fishing and didn't expect it to be quite so bad. I guess I should have realized it Saturday morning when I saw what I assume was a commercial bait guy throwing a net around little river for a short time before loading up and leaving.

Msteele

Threadfin are not that difficult to get if you can get out before sunrise and look around. Gizzards are not as fragile as threads when it comes to the cold winter we just had.

I had over 100+ threadfin in 5 throws last Saturday. I haven’t been on the lake in a long time and they were still in the same places as last year.

mpwarrak

Maybe I'm in the wrong places? I can normally get a couple dozen threadfins in 10-15 throws... I am getting out at 4:30am or so, about an hour and a half of darkness. Lately I'm getting none or maybe 1 or 2 per cast!

t k

I haven't been able to get on the water until a little after daylight with the kids so I knew it would be a little tougher. I have always used little river and it must not be the right place right now either. I may try lake acworth or further south on Allatoona Saturday night if I can for a Sunday am trip. Thanks for the responses so far.

Last edited:

Jonboater

Be careful if running the lake in the dark the lake has risen alot this week lot of stuff floating in the water

brianj

i was able to find a few dozen pretty easy this am mid-lake. Deep in back of cove, very shallow water. Didn't even try and throw at kellogg bridge.
unfortunately, still not finding any big hybrids. lots of fat spots and small hybrids/stripers. going to try further north next time.

seachaser

If you guys are still looking for shad I was just camping at McKinney creek for the last 4 days and there are thousands of shad every morning around. I stayed in campsite 95 so look at a map of campground and you will see where I was.We also had the pontoon out just playing and saw shad schools around Harbor town where the houseboat is beached just to the right of the marina. As far as fishing in 2 hrs in the boat caught 5 spots all on flukes with several more missing the fluke right at the boat.

castandblast

They are still on the lake in good numbers. I netted a little over 200 this morning pretty quick to stock up on on my home shad storage tank. Even with the full moon that had them scattered.

Msteele

They are still on the lake in good numbers. I netted a little over 200 this morning pretty quick to stock up on on my home shad storage tank. Even with the full moon that had them scattered.

I was thinking about the same thing on stocking up. Just to go fishing somewhere else though.

castandblast

I was thinking about the same thing on stocking up. Just to go fishing somewhere else though.

Yep, I live close to toona, but have a 550 gallon home tank that I keep shad in. I will fish several different lakes. I tried to post pics but it isn't my working right on my phone. I've got a couple hundred threads, couple dzn med gizzards, and about 10 mongo gizzards. The mongos have been in there since late feb.

Msteele

Yep, I live close to toona, but have a 550 gallon home tank that I keep shad in. I will fish several different lakes. I tried to post pics but it isn't my working right on my phone. I've got a couple hundred threads, couple dzn med gizzards, and about 10 mongo gizzards. The mongos have been in there since late feb.

February? You need to use them now.

AStrick

The last station on the right sells shad now! Used to be a Texico, something else now?
It's well worth it to me to buy shad from StriperSoup! I don't have to chase shad for a couple of hours, I don't get soak and wet from the net!
It's well worth $30 for a tank full , especially if you have a partner to split It! And I'm really not up to throwing a net with my many surgeries!
I'm hoping to get cancer off my nose soon!
But that's another thread!
Fo Sho!

Msteele

The last station on the right sells shad now! Used to be a Texico, something else now?
It's well worth it to me to buy shad from StriperSoup! I don't have to chase shad for a couple of hours, I don't get soak and wet from the net!
It's well worth $30 for a tank full , especially if you have a partner to split It! And I'm really not up to throwing a net with my many surgeries!
I'm hoping to get cancer off my nose soon!
But that's another thread!
Fo Sho!

I wished everybody would buy shad. :D

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I wished everybody would buy shad. :D

We’d be in the poor house if we had to buy bait. Between the big gizzards the last few months and the 150-200 threadfins we are taking right now, I’d need another job just to pay for bait. :bounce::bounce: