Cherokee Indian Grave Site?

fatboy84

Here are some graves I found at a friend's new lease....

No Indian graves but from the 1800....Headstones said some were in the GA Infantry..

Attachments

• img043.jpg
    img043.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 3,455

h20fowlin

Banned
Hey Dawg2----

I'd say that is a machette in your picture. Not sure what era, but i'm pretty sure that's what you go there. Looks to be in real good condition though.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Hey Dawg2----

I'd say that is a machette in your picture. Not sure what era, but i'm pretty sure that's what you go there. Looks to be in real good condition though.

It is. I keep one in the hunting house, the garage, and I have one in the woods too, it was from the 60's. Now if I can just find it in the woods. They are great to have in the woods.

fish hawk

Bass Master
they look like farmers put them there i am pretty shure there not a burrial site

Ozzie

Some folks have been PM'ing me asking for some pics of the grave sites. I was hunting this weekend and stopped by the old slave grave yard and took these pics with my camera phone. Sorry the quality isn't the best, next time I'll take a real camera and get some better shots.

These pictures don't begin to tell the whole story when you are there. There are approximately 60 of these graves lined up on the ridge top. I tried to pick some representative samples. In the big picture, you can see the headstone and the footstone and the depression in the ground from where the coffin has collapsed. The first picture of the headstone might have some kind of engraving on it, but it's illegible. I'll try and get some pictures of the Creek Indian graves I mentioned earlier one of these times.

Attachments

• 10-06-07_0932.jpg
    10-06-07_0932.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 3,877
  • 10-06-07_0938.jpg
    10-06-07_0938.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 3,440
  • 10-06-07_0940.jpg
    10-06-07_0940.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 3,185
  • 10-06-07_0942.jpg
    10-06-07_0942.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 3,224

Ozzie

WOW I just wonder how many times i have walkd past some of these and never noticed them

Yep, the property owner did not know they were there, and this hunting club I am in has been together about 6 years and no one noticed them before I joined last season. It just struck me one morning as I climbed out of a creek bottom and crested the ridge, that the stones and depressions in the ground were in a definite geometric pattern. There are 10 rows of 6 to 8 graves each. It is very old because there are some big trees growing up right through the middle of some of the graves.

I suspect that there was an old log church there at one time because churches and graveyards usually go together, and at one end of the rows of graves there is a level area where the church might have stood.

davisdole

Hall county indian pile

I have found a pile of rocks 4X6 on a very steep and east side of the hill overlooking a creek. I have found about 30 arrowheads on my land in the last twenty years. Makes me wonder as well.

crokseti

Our cabin is out on a side ridge that faces East and theres 2 rock piles further out the ridge.
Mostly quartz stones.
I walk around them when goin thru.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I see very few actual artifacts and a bunch of old farm rock piles in this thread.

See, that is where you are wrong. One of the piles I have had been vandalized and there were artifacts.

CAL

Not saying the rock piles are not Indian graves but around me are several grave yards with rock piles in them marking grave sites.These were from people marking there love ones site that didn't have money for a fit marker.They are very old too.I think from the early 1900's.Some of what different members are posting could also be the same.As far as the sites facing the east,we Christians believe that when Jesus returns He will come from the east. All graves around my home town face the east.The rock sites could be from the early settlers also.Just some thoughts to consider.

jason4445

There was a property I went to years ago in Cohutta, Ga. that in a field around the sides of a ridge were not stone piles, but stone pits sort of. Circles about 30 feet in diameter covered with stones averaging the size of a football/ basketball. The center of the stone circle was about four feet lower than the edge. The owner said that one day he and some friends started to remove stones form the center, got down about 8 feet and there were still stones- they put the ones removed back and never fooled with it again.

jcinpc

Gone but not forgotten
if those are graves more than likely any bones would have since disolved except for the teeth, enamel is the hardest substance in out body. Not all indian were burial laying stretched out, alot were bundle burials put in the hole after the bones were cleaned in the charnel house. there were hundreds of thousands of people here before us, they had to be put to rest somehwere and most places today have no resemblence to what it looked like that long ago.

Also note, not all indians were buried with riches and pots and gorgets or even plain ole arrowheads.They just dies and were interred. Down here in Florida our soils are so acidic bones dont last. Late Paleo and Archaic indians buried the dead in ponds and lakes here, they covered and staked them to the bottom and it would be used for thousands of years until the mound builders came along in the woodland times.

you want a great read?? check out the link of the Windover site, this has the best preservation of 7,000 year old human brain and tissue and these "savages" even cared for a 14 year old boy with SPina Bifida and made cloth shirts like we wear from palmetto fibers, 26 strands to the square inch.

http://www.nbbd.com/godo/history/windover/

I have found some bundled, staked burials before when the lakes go down. I have given the Arch`s some sites but they dont need them all, all they would do is take any related artifacts and it goes in to a box in a drawer somewhere for eternity. I know of at least 6 mounds that arent documented and they will remain that way until a developer comes along and bulldozes it.
The Seminoles have no say over any remains discovered here, they arent true Florida indians, they are a mixture of creek and cherokee and freed slaves .

See what is in one of those piles to fill your curiosity and if it is a burial cover it back up and now you know.

Last edited:

Capt Quirk

Interesting to say the least.

I wouldn't recommend digging any up though...

If they are indeed indian graves, they were put to rest, and IMO, are best left that way.
Dig them up, and if you find remains, move them. Then build a house there. They do it in the movies, and it seems like an interesting time:bounce: