Bird Dog Names

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Anything with at least 2 sylables, and it is a requirement that it "hollers" good.

This also works well for namin` boy chilluns! ;)

bassfishga

Some are named after guns or something simular. Remington, Gunner, Muzzy, Magnum, Beretta or Hunter...

We have a German Shorthair named Jaeger,(pronounced yea-ger) which is german for hunter.

SGADawg

Stay away from names that are close to commands as this will confuse the dog. ex. Bo is too close to no or whoa.

People I got my lab from were calling him Bo, had them stop and start calling him Sam when I picked him out at 3 weeks old.

BoxCallWillie

When I was a kid my Dad had Pointers
his #1 Male was named "Driver" :bounce:

BCW

Walkie Takie

names

we had a ol pointer , Dan was his name //////////
great hunting dog
just did;nt know how good he was , till he was gone and then I grew up and left home ,
back then everone ( most ) had a good hunting dog bird or coon .////
just the way it was in the 60 and 70 's

Luke0927

I have 3 bird dogs (GSP's) 2 male one female all named after differment makers of guns i have....

males
"Remmy" for Remingon
"Ruger" for Ruger

"Neli" for Beneli

godogs57

I had a field trial lab that was fast as greased lightning. His call name was "Jet"...full name was "Flint River's Jet Black Attack"...thought that was kinda neat.

I agree with others, name him a one sylable name and nothing that remotely sounds like any command you are likely to use.

No kidding: My first cousin had a dog he named "******************"...he thought it was cute until he got loose at the beach one day and he had to chase him down....true story.

hevishot

Banned
the name should be one sylable...not 2. (for ease of calling in the field) I own Gus, Jill, Hope, Nell, and Rose....one sylable is MUCH easier to have to repeat than 2 or more.

redlevel

My two Llewellins are Chipper and Andruw. That's "Chip" and "Druw" in the field.

I don't think "Sam" would work too well, when you think about it being too close to a command or whatever.

Reminds me of the Havilah Babcock story about the dog who thought his name was a commonly used term that would normally provoke fisticuffs when used between humans. A problem arose when a minister hunted with Babcock and his friend, who both used the dog's name freely. At a break, the minister asked just exactly what the dog's name was, and how it had come to be. The friend replied that the dog's daddy was named Bishop, so they had named the dog Son-of-Bishop in honor of the father.

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
My labs name is Hunter, short for Rocky Top's Slim Chance for Hunter. While in the field his name is Boo (nickname). He is smart enough to know both of them.

My next one will be named Buck.