Snow crushed my pop-up blinds

Clipper

I had two pop-up blinds in the woods when we got the 12" snow in December. I pulled them last week and this is what I found. My older blind is trashed as the fabric is torn badly and one of the poles is broken. I think I can salvage a pole from the old blind to repair the newer blind. Guess I know what to do with the Cabelas gift cards my wife gave me for Christmas, now.:)

Attachments

• Pop-up 1.JPG
    Pop-up 1.JPG
    204.8 KB · Views: 257
  • Pop-up 2.jpg
    Pop-up 2.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 256

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I got really lucky. I went to check on mine the day after it snowed. It had collapsed, but I had left a shooting tripod in the blind and I think it prevented the roof of the blind from going to the ground. I raked out as much snow as I could. I came back a couple weeks later and my blind was holding at least 20 gallons of water in the inverted roof. I poured it off and collected my blind. The material on top of the roof had stretched and no longer fit snug to the blind, but no poles were broken and there were no tears in the fabric.

I set it up one last time for the last week of the season but neglected to secure it. A few days ago, we had a really windy day. My blind had tumbled about 800 feet from where I left it. I was sure it would be broken now, but not a scratch.

This is an Ameristep, I think the Brickhouse. This is probably the 9th or 10th season I've used it.

Clipper

I got really lucky. I went to check on mine the day after it snowed. It had collapsed, but I had left a shooting tripod in the blind and I think it prevented the roof of the blind from going to the ground. I raked out as much snow as I could. I came back a couple weeks later and my blind was holding at least 20 gallons of water in the inverted roof. I poured it off and collected my blind. The material on top of the roof had stretched and no longer fit snug to the blind, but no poles were broken and there were no tears in the fabric.

I set it up one last time for the last week of the season but neglected to secure it. A few days ago, we had a really windy day. My blind had tumbled about 800 feet from where I left it. I was sure it would be broken now, but not a scratch.

This is an Ameristep, I think the Brickhouse. This is probably the 9th or 10th season I've used it.

Glad your blinds are OK. I set one up on a power line last spring for turkey and staked the corners with the small wire stakes that come with it. Found it later 200 yards down the hill in a briar patch. Almost didn't find it, I was thinking someone stole it.

deast1988

Yep, if you leave them out. Got to upgrade your spikes. I found if you leave windows open but mesh up helps with strong wind. But nothing can stop the snow or heavy rain from collapsing the roof in. You should be able to piece one working other is probably salvageable but won't be the same. I leave older one out most of the year new one gets carried in or out and depending I might leave it a week or 2 just let the spot tell me. I know for bow blinds and deer they got to adjust for it being there.

Turkeys don't pay them any attention strange animals we target.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
See Rhbama's thread in the "Gear Review" Thread on Ameristep blinds . . .:D

jerry russell

Take it back where you bought it. I had a bear absolutely destroy one and Bass pro gave me a new one.