What hunt doesn't interest you at all?

deers2ward

With an unlimited budget and unlimited time I'd do just about any hunt. I love the experience. If I kill something, great, if I don't that's fine also. Time and cost are the limiting factors for me.

Always been mystified by folks who say "I'd never do so and so" without at least trying it or doing *serious* homework on it. "I'd never do it because I'll never be able to afford it" is a completely different thing to me.

Personally, I'd never want to shoot anything in a pen or something placed there for me to shoot. Other than that, let's go hunt.

High fence? Always said no. But what about 18,000 acre high fence? Tried it and it's sure like wild to me. Fences do two things - keep stuff in and keep stuff out. Sometimes its the later that folks with fences are most worried about, especially the two legged critters.

Baiting? Grew up doing it in FL for deer and hog. Not any different than food plots *to me*. After the first shot those animals become nocturnal - at least the old/smart ones do.

I guess the older I get the more open-minded I become. And the less convinced that I become that I know all the answers. To each his own!:cheers:

^ :cool:

This is the type of outlook that would make all hunters stronger, but it seems jealousy and ignorance are more common these days than wisdom and humility. Or perhaps social media gives the former a microphone so it just seems that way....in any event, thank you for your post.

Al Medcalf

Deer hunting and bear hunting without dogs

Havana Dude

With an unlimited budget and unlimited time I'd do just about any hunt. I love the experience. If I kill something, great, if I don't that's fine also. Time and cost are the limiting factors for me.

Always been mystified by folks who say "I'd never do so and so" without at least trying it or doing *serious* homework on it. "I'd never do it because I'll never be able to afford it" is a completely different thing to me.

Personally, I'd never want to shoot anything in a pen or something placed there for me to shoot. Other than that, let's go hunt.

High fence? Always said no. But what about 18,000 acre high fence? Tried it and it's sure like wild to me. Fences do two things - keep stuff in and keep stuff out. Sometimes its the later that folks with fences are most worried about, especially the two legged critters.

Baiting? Grew up doing it in FL for deer and hog. Not any different than food plots *to me*. After the first shot those animals become nocturnal - at least the old/smart ones do.

I guess the older I get the more open-minded I become. And the less convinced that I become that I know all the answers. To each his own!:cheers:

What is there to be mystified about. You say that, then next paragraph, you’re doing it too. Why can’t people make choices without other people having a say so? I said this earlier in another post, your opinion of another’s opinion isn’t really being asked for here. I stated earlier, that not only do I not care to to hunt a certain critter, I don’t even care to go to Africa. Why would that mystify you?

HuntinDawg89

I used to think I wanted to go just about everywhere and hunt just about everything. I don't know why the urge to do that has faded. Maybe just because I realize that it isn't going to happen. Also, I'm just not that interested in hunting without my kids anymore and stuff gets expensive quickly when you start multiplying by 2 or 3...also I realize that I will most likely never have a large trophy room so what am I going to do with a big set of moose antlers? I'm only interested in killing males of mammal species (some birds I don't care whether male or female - you can't even tell with a Canada Goose) and I like to keep the antlers/horns whatever as a momento/rememberance of the hunt...where am I going to put all of that? I dunno.

I would love to shoot a nice Muley with a bow or maybe even a gun, but it probably isn't going to happen.

Things that wouldn't float my boat to hunt (in no particular order):

Muskox
Mountain Goat
Caribou (unless with a bow)
Zebra (too much like a horse - would definitely eat one if hungry enough though)
Lion
Tiger
Leopard
Hippo
Giraffe (does anyone hunt those? No idea)
Any kind of monkey/ape/baboon - too humanoid. I surely don't want to eat that. I think they hunt baboons in some places.
Anything in a high fence.
Most things over bait - possible exception of black bear over bait with a bow as that seems about the only way they do it (except with dogs). I know that isn't logical. I can't explain it. I would also shoot (not hunt) hogs over bait because they are not a game animal but an invasive and don't deserve the same respect as game animals. Another exception would be coyotes. I would shoot/kill coyotes in Georgia in any way legal, over bait, with lights, whatever. I would club a litter of coyote pups to death if I found them.

I've contemplated a future hunt for speed goats with one or both of my daughters only because it seems to be the cheapest thing to hunt out west and maybe I could swing the cost x 2 or x 3. Also, it wouldn't require my daughters to shoot some crazy heavy cartridge.

HuntinDawg89

Bear meat is delicious, one of the best wild meats out there. It's better than deer meat, and I love deer meat. Gator is also good. I ate bobcat once, and it wasn't bad at all. I think it would have been even better if the feller hadn't have overcooked it.

Bear mountain lion and gator taste great. I'll hunt anything. No limit.

I'm not doubting you guys, but I had never heard that bear meat was good except on TV and you know those guys aren't going to say "but I'm not eating this stuff." I've heard bear is greasy.

I know of a black bear camp in Canada where they never eat the bear meat...they say all the bear they kill up there are full of worms and you can see them in the meat when you skin them. I'd have a hard time eating wormy meat even if I knew that cooking it made it safe.

Y'all care to enlighten me any more on the subject of bear meat? I'm serious as I've always thought shooting a bear with a bow would be cool but it isn't nearly as appealing if the meat is going to waste.

ufg8r93

As I said, to each his own

Why would that mystify you?

Because I can't understand the attitude. YMMV.

Good hunting (however and where ever you choose to do it).

Mexican Squealer

What is there to be mystified about. You say that, then next paragraph, you’re doing it too. Why can’t people make choices without other people having a say so? I said this earlier in another post, your opinion of another’s opinion isn’t really being asked for here. I stated earlier, that not only do I not care to to hunt a certain critter, I don’t even care to go to Africa. Why would that mystify you?

Same here on Africa. Don't want to go for ANY reason. I love it when folks assume that folks have no interest because they "can't afford it". Always makes me chuckle.:crazy:

ufg8r93

That's not what I said

Same here on Africa. Don't want to go for ANY reason. I love it when folks assume that folks have no interest because they "can't afford it". Always makes me chuckle.:crazy:

This is the opposite of what I actually said.

Certainly wasn't my expectation to trigger people on a hunting forum. Apologies if I offended you. :cheers:

Havana Dude

This is the opposite of what I actually said.

Certainly wasn't my expectation to trigger people on a hunting forum. Apologies if I offended you. :cheers:

Dear God in heaven. Are you seriously saying someone is offended because they spoke up on a DISCUSSION forum? I don’t get offended sir. I’m old enough now that I speak what’s on my mind, and don’t really care what others think, so maybe you are the one who got offended. My apologies to the original poster. I must have misunderstood the intention here. I’m out. Good day sir.

Killdee

I'm not doubting you guys, but I had never heard that bear meat was good except on TV and you know those guys aren't going to say "but I'm not eating this stuff." I've heard bear is greasy.

I know of a black bear camp in Canada where they never eat the bear meat...they say all the bear they kill up there are full of worms and you can see them in the meat when you skin them. I'd have a hard time eating wormy meat even if I knew that cooking it made it safe.

Y'all care to enlighten me any more on the subject of bear meat? I'm serious as I've always thought shooting a bear with a bow would be cool but it isn't nearly as appealing if the meat is going to waste.

Wasn’t it undercooked bear meat that the guys on that meat eater show got sick from?

holton27596

ive taken 4 bear in canada, never seen worms in any of it, all the hunters tyook their meat home, some of the best meat ive ever eaten, very mild.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Well, I've heard all my life that bear meat is delicious from hundreds of folks who eat it every year. I grew up on it. I've eaten tons of it, and never had any that tasted bad. I have no idea where that myth comes from, but I hear it a lot, 99% of the time from folks who have never eaten a forkful of bear meat. The only two instances I've heard from people who know about bad tasting bear was one my dad shot in Washington state that had been eating dead salmon for a month, and another that my cousin killed at a dump in Michigan that was eating garbage most of its life. Don't think you can blame either of those on bears in general.

Bear meat is very similar to beef or pork-it's like a cross between them. As for the "greasy," it is fat meat, but no more so than beef, or certainly not pork. Bear fat is excellent cooking fat, btw. I've eaten many of a pan of good biscuits made with bear grease for lard.

I have never seen bear meat with worms in it, and I've been in on skinning and butchering a lot of them. I guess it's possible, but it happens with deer or any other game occasionally, too. Bear meat can carry a risk of trichinosis if eaten undercooked, but so does grocery store pork, wand very much so with wild pork. I've been around people who ate bear meat regularly all my life, and I've never heard of an actual case of it.

In short, I would take the word of people who actually eat bear meat instead of some Canuck on the tv.

HuntinDawg89

Well, I've heard all my life that bear meat is delicious from hundreds of folks who eat it every year. I grew up on it. I've eaten tons of it, and never had any that tasted bad. I have no idea where that myth comes from, but I hear it a lot, 99% of the time from folks who have never eaten a forkful of bear meat. The only two instances I've heard from people who know about bad tasting bear was one my dad shot in Washington state that had been eating dead salmon for a month, and another that my cousin killed at a dump in Michigan that was eating garbage most of its life. Don't think you can blame either of those on bears in general.

Bear meat is very similar to beef or pork-it's like a cross between them. As for the "greasy," it is fat meat, but no more so than beef, or certainly not pork. Bear fat is excellent cooking fat, btw. I've eaten many of a pan of good biscuits made with bear grease for lard.

I have never seen bear meat with worms in it, and I've been in on skinning and butchering a lot of them. I guess it's possible, but it happens with deer or any other game occasionally, too. Bear meat can carry a risk of trichinosis if eaten undercooked, but so does grocery store pork, wand very much so with wild pork. I've been around people who ate bear meat regularly all my life, and I've never heard of an actual case of it.

In short, I would take the word of people who actually eat bear meat instead of some Canuck on the tv.

Thanks for the info. I had always liked the idea of hunting bears but was disheartened to hear that it wasn't that good to eat. The bear camp I speak of is in Canada and they kill a lot of bears every year and don't eat any of them because they all have worms in the meat. I haven't seen it with my own eyes but I have no reason to doubt the person who told me. This camp is open for spring bear hunts only if that makes a difference.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the info. I had always liked the idea of hunting bears but was disheartened to hear that it wasn't that good to eat. The bear camp I speak of is in Canada and they kill a lot of bears every year and don't eat any of them because they all have worms in the meat. I haven't seen it with my own eyes but I have no reason to doubt the person who told me. This camp is open for spring bear hunts only if that makes a difference.

Might just be something local to that area. It's not something I've ever heard of around here.