20 Gauge Turkey Loads?

MKW

I don't know about the "guru" stuff, but it is certainly true that I have shot a ton of 20ga turkey loads thru a ton of different guns and chokes. Until a couple of years ago, I'd shoot around 80 20ga turkey loads at paper every year. Then...I found Nitros! Before Nitros, my best patterning gun was a 26" Rem 1187 20ga. It would stay right around 150 hits at 40yrds with pre-07 Hevi 13 #6s and a PureGold .555. With Nitro #7 Hevis, it is pretty easy to get 200+ at 40yrds. At present, I have 5 different 20ga turkey guns that will stay at or above 200 at 40yrds. If I had bought Nitros earlier, it would have saved me loads of money in shells and chokes!
I am very interested in the Federal Heavyweight #7s and have 5 boxes to test when the weather gets right. I'm looking for a consistant 140 hits at 40yrds. If I can get that, I'll drop the Nitros.
If it were me, and I had your gun, the first thing I'd try would be the Federals with a Rem factory superfull choke. There are other chokes that seem to be working and still others that are supposed to be coming out for that shell, but the Rem Superfull seems to be the most consistant producer right now.(from what I've read) If that didn't work to your satisfaction, I wouldn't mess around any more. At that point, I'd go for the Nitro H276 #7s. I lost all confidence in EM when they messed up the '06 and prior Hevi 13s. And, I don't really like the 1090fps.
Good luck!

Mike

Sloppy_Snood

All this talk has me thinking about getting a 20ga for turkeys, if you had to pick a gun what would you get?

LINK: 20GA Winchester SX3 Shotgun (Click Here)

Super-soft shooter, .630" backbore, Invector + choke system, 6 1/2 pounds (unloaded), Decelerator recoil pad, adjustable LOP, and best-of-all: it is a real gas action semi-automatic (not a semi-auto blowback shotgun).

Should be available sometime first 1/2 of 2010. :cheers:

striper commander

I shoot the heavyweight 7's in my 12ga and get over 200 easy. They are moving at 1300 FPS also. I just looked at federals website last night checking to see if the shells were still being made. I need to order some more. I noticed on there site that the 20ga loads are moving at 1100 FPS. If I was shooting a 20 I think I would go with the federals and a 555 pure gold. I can't wait to see the results you get with the feds Mike.

hawglips

Banned
...I don't really like the 1090fps.

...the 20ga loads are moving at 1100 FPS

Keep in mind that in the case of Hevi-13 6s, and Fed HWT 7s, the density is going to more than trump the slower speeds.

I don't know exactly what the trade-off is between pellet speed and density, but I do know that the hevi-13 6s at 1090 penetrate way better than Nitros 7s, and the Fed HWT 7s do as well. As far as punching through flesh and breaking bones is concerned, speed is just one variable, and just a means to an end.

MKW

Keep in mind that in the case of Hevi-13 6s, and Fed HWT 7s, the density is going to more than trump the slower speeds.

I don't know exactly what the trade-off is between pellet speed and density, but I do know that the hevi-13 6s at 1090 penetrate way better than Nitros 7s, and the Fed HWT 7s do as well. As far as punching through flesh and breaking bones is concerned, speed is just one variable, and just a means to an end.

Yes, I fully realize how these things work. 1100fps with 1.5oz of #7 15g/cc shot(Federal) is much better than 1090fps with 1.25oz of #7 13g/cc shot(EM). It's not just the speed, it's the whole picture. My problem with EM is that they have a history of screwing up a good thing. Just as soon as they get a good patterning #7 load, I'm afraid they'll change it up for some reason.

Mike

dtala

20 guage?

turkeys?

ammo?????

oh yeah, one word, well, two. Ok, three.

Nitro Ammo Company:yeah:

My wife shoots a Beretta 3" 20 guage and 3" 4-5-7 Nitro shells. Stone cold killer at 40 yards...every time.

ber5.jpg

ber4.jpg

35 yard pattern...207 pellets in a 10 inch circle.
ber1.jpg

ya'll got that, right...207 pellets in a 10 inch circle.

troy

ps, ya'll that have shot em..ya ever notice how FEW pellets ya find IN the bird???? Like they went thru an thru???

Porter

Well I've shot a lot of the Fed HW #7's along with Nitros and handloaded T98's.

Last summer I was consistently getting around 180 hits out of my Rem 870 JR and the Rem SF choke in the 10" at 40 yards. For a $10 choke, that thing rocks. My 870 JR has the 18.5" barrel too.

I'm done with Nitros. The handloaded TSS shells eat them for breakfast and I was just loading up 2 3/4" shells. I cannot wait to see how much more devastating the 3" shells are.

I have some more testing to do with 4 chokes to see if I can beat the Rem SF with the Fed HW. So far that choke has been a winner for Remchoke guns, so I'm not going to hold my breathe!

hawglips

Banned
Yes, I fully realize how these things work. 1100fps with 1.5oz of #7 15g/cc shot(Federal) is much better than 1090fps with 1.25oz of #7 13g/cc shot(EM). It's not just the speed, it's the whole picture. My problem with EM is that they have a history of screwing up a good thing. Just as soon as they get a good patterning #7 load, I'm afraid they'll change it up for some reason.
Mike

I hear you. Good points.

frankwright

How about the Fed HW #6. I found some and wondering how they will do with the Remington RSF choke?

Hobie

Got a Remington 870 20 guauge 20" barrel with rifle sites.Use Pure Gold 55 and Nitros straight 7's get 200+ in a 10"circle all day at 40 yards
Thats the MKW Cult setup so went with it and it works awesome

870pattern004.jpg

013.jpg

returntoarchery

After conferring with my live-in CFO, looks like my hobby budget is set for some barrel TLC from the Gun Docc for my M37 20ga. It'll be interesting so see what the Fed HW #7 will do then.

It's just me but I wouldn't trade my M37 for any other turkey gun given it's slick action, light weight, ease of point, and classic sleek looks. But with that said the Rem 870 youth is a real bargain with the pattern numbers it'll shoot with the standard Rem super full turkey choke with the Fed HW #7.

frankwright

I went to Title Pawn and got a loan and bought 20 rounds of the Federal HW #7s.:D

As soon as they get here and it gets above freezing, I will give them a try.