Paper mill hiring Calhoun Tn

Beaudeane

Resolute forest products, formerly Bowater, in Calhoun Tn is hiring. I start Jan 9. They will be putting on a bunch of folks is what they told us during testing. Google "resolute Calhoun Tn" to find contact info. Resume required b4 u can put in application. I finally get to quit trucking after 25 years to be home daily. Pays well after probationary period. Swing shift days/nights will be hardest thing about it.

ribber

Resolute forest products, formerly Bowater, in Calhoun Tn is hiring. I start Jan 9. They will be putting on a bunch of folks is what they told us during testing. Google "resolute Calhoun Tn" to find contact info. Resume required b4 u can put in application. I finally get to quit trucking after 25 years to be home daily. Pays well after probationary period. Swing shift days/nights will be hardest thing about it.

Not sure which area you're going to, but Paper machine work can be rough, I worked on one for 9 years until I got a day job at the mill. The swing shift is manageable, but the overtime can be brutal at times. The money can be good, though.
My wife's father worked at that mill and she grew up in Cleveland, TN. That used to be a Newsprint mill, but News mills are fading fast. Most are converting to Packaging or tissue.

Beaudeane

Not sure what will be doin yet. Hope not on a paper machine. Crossing my fingers for a utilities, powerhouse or woodyard job. Been hauling liquor & caustic & soap in & outta there & several other mills the last 5 years. I will take what's offered & can bid out of a department to another in time. Being home every day/nite depending on the swing shift is what I'm after

Tnhunter

Good luck! It has been a very good living for people in this area. I'm curious what it is like if you go to the new tissue part.

ribber

Power, Woodyard, Shipping area, would be a better long term fit if you're not a young man. Paper machine usually pays a little better than other departments at most mills, but there's a little more physical demand also.
Of course, technology and new attitudes have improved a lot of the machines. I'm seeing that now at my mill. I giggle when I hear the younger/new hands talk bout how rough they got it. They don't have a clue. They bought them a walk behind Bobcat with a grapple to clean broke from the basement and it reduced workload by 50% easily and they still gripe. Heck, we had to pull broke manually with rope and a 2x4! I was in good shape then, couldn't do it now.

Shug

Chances are you'll be in the wood yard.....Word to the wise, the 35mph speed limit in Calhoun & Charleston doesn't, mean 37mph. That paycheck will be gone before you know it

Beaudeane

Start date Jan 16... was gonna be Jan 9th but HR changed that when I went & did physical Wednesday. If this works well I will have a 2005 Freightliner Coronado with inframe rebuild done 119k miles ago for sale in about a year. It's plan B for now till I know the new job will work for me.

Beaudeane

Orientation week is done. Will be in utilities starting Monday workin 5/12s to train, they said bout the first month or so. Not a bad change so far. At least I sleep in my own bed everyday now instead of in my Freightliner

CamoDawg85

Power, Woodyard, Shipping area, would be a better long term fit if you're not a young man. Paper machine usually pays a little better than other departments at most mills, but there's a little more physical demand also.
Of course, technology and new attitudes have improved a lot of the machines. I'm seeing that now at my mill. I giggle when I hear the younger/new hands talk bout how rough they got it. They don't have a clue. They bought them a walk behind Bobcat with a grapple to clean broke from the basement and it reduced workload by 50% easily and they still gripe. Heck, we had to pull broke manually with rope and a 2x4! I was in good shape then, couldn't do it now.

Ribber - I see you're in middle ga at a paper mill. Mind if I ask what company? I work for a company whose got a mill down in middle ga so wondering if we're working for the same man?

joepuppy

My sister in law works security at that mill (East Dublin).

Beaudeane

Gave it 2 months & I was done. Had a tech4 job in the powerhouse dept. The job was basically a pay loader operator that fed bark for fuel to a boiler conveyor belt. Easy enough but not for me. Saturday was my last nite. I signed my lease again on my truck & will be back to trucking again by the end of the week when I get my permit book from them. Same carrier as I was at b4 the job change. I thought trucking sucked but after the 2 months away from the $$ it didn't suck that bad after all. Actually had more time at home with the family when I was trucking than at the papermill job. At least I know for sure now because I tried it. Swing shift & being an employee ain't for me.

cr00241

Gave it 2 months & I was done. Had a tech4 job in the powerhouse dept. The job was basically a pay loader operator that fed bark for fuel to a boiler conveyor belt. Easy enough but not for me. Saturday was my last nite. I signed my lease again on my truck & will be back to trucking again by the end of the week when I get my permit book from them. Same carrier as I was at b4 the job change. I thought trucking sucked but after the 2 months away from the $$ it didn't suck that bad after all. Actually had more time at home with the family when I was trucking than at the papermill job. At least I know for sure now because I tried it. Swing shift & being an employee ain't for me.

At least you can say you gave it a shot. Just curious, what kind of swing shift were you working?

Beaudeane

12 hours days & nites... work 3-4, off 1-3 then opposite shift, then off 1-3 & get a 7 off per month but short handed so u gonna be workin part of the off days. Shift change was day to nite to day to nite every time ur schedule changed

ribber

12 hours days & nites... work 3-4, off 1-3 then opposite shift, then off 1-3 & get a 7 off per month but short handed so u gonna be workin part of the off days. Shift change was day to nite to day to nite every time ur schedule changed

Papermill life can be tough. I worked a similar schedule. Long weekend every 28 days (6 days off) but rarely do you get all 6 days. I did some hard, nasty labor and worked a lot of hours for many years, but when opportunity came I jumped to a day job. I miss the money but my life is a lot better. You basically have to be okay with very little free time to work there, and have a good supporting wife/family. Lot of divorces out there.
I couldn't count the people that worked for a short period of time and left. It's not for everybody.

Latest posts