Having trouble with heeling...

My GSP pup can't seem to keep his nose off the ground most of the time when I'm teaching him to heel. It makes it difficult for him to walk smoothly on the leash and he walks by me most of the time after I stop. Any tips for better teaching to heel??? Thanks

Jim Ammons

Keep leash fairly tight and keep nose off ground. When pup tries to walk ahead of you use a rolled up newspaper or child's plastic ball bat and tap him on the nose when he walks past you-also tell pup to heel at the same time.

He is only 12 weeks and I have only been working with him on heel for a few days so it just may be something that will come along slowly... Just have to be patient I guess!

zzweims

Be patient, he's just a baby. Heck, he's only had 3 months to experience all those great smells out there. Keep it short. When he goes a head of you, turn around and go the way you came and encourage the dog to follow/heel.

Stevo387

I use the wonder lead by Delmar Smith. No need to train heel to early. Just get him used to walking on a leash. He will pull but thats ok. Let him be excited to see a lead.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
I use the wonder lead by Delmar Smith. No need to train heel to early. Just get him used to walking on a leash. He will pull but thats ok. Let him be excited to see a lead.

I made my own but this thing is awesome. I waited till they were closer to a year old to start with it though.

gtrman

HTML:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo387  

I made my own but this thing is awesome. I waited till they were closer to a year old to start with it though.  
Today 12:36 PM

What they said....
My dog was heeling at 6 months like I had velcro on my pants leg. I would bet a dog will take to it younger or older. I don't know, I just know when my buddy showed me my dog one day of it in the yard...It did not take long at all for him to respond. Get one...EZ lead, Wonder Lead, make your own with pigging string (I have heard them called EZ or Wonder Leads, but I think they are advertised as Wonder Lead by Delmar Smith)...they work, and work well. Google it, watch some videos and read how to use it. Gundog Supply and Lion Country Outfitters both sell them, I believe. They are easy to use, and quite amazing. You will not be dissapointed.

Timberdoodle

My two cents:

Know what you WANT in a dog first. Some folks want a formal obedience-type dog that only does what you tell it to do, when you say. Others enjoy a free thinker. Most want something in between.

Pup is young, so keep that in mind. Keep sessions short - several five minute sessions per day will get you results better and faster (and easier on you and the dog), than even one 15 minute session a day. Also TREATS are very important here.

If the dog is sniffing the grass outside, teach a correct heal inside first, where there are as little distractions as possible. I prefer use of an English-style slip lead, but a properly fit flat collar would do. The Wonder lead would work too.

The important part is the leather tab that allows you to keep the loop from releasing to much. Put it on pup (as a perfect "P"), then bring the end up behind their right ear, and pull the skin on the neck don behind the loop, so the skin from the jawline forward is taught.

Then, show pup you have treat for him. Stand, keeping pup at your left side. Give him the treat with your right hand. Have another in your right hand, placed at you left thigh or knee. Start walking, all the while keeping moderate tension on the area right behind the jawline. Pup should focus on the treat now, not the ground.

FOCUS, is what you really are training in heel. The dog KNOWS how to walk just fine to his satisfaction. Your job is to make him YOU are more interesting than anything on the floor.

Eventually, you will stop treating as much, when you get the behavior you want.

If he passes by you, the focusing on your knee should help that. Also, changing direction 180 degree + a slight "touch" of the lead + saying "heel" should help.

Also, I have had good luck just putting the lead on as mentioned, and attaching the end to my sturdy belt. Start walking. Pup will have no choice but to follow. Change direction often, especially if pup takes his focus off you, or begins to check out the ground, or decide to pee out of bordem.

This is not as effective as the first way, but is simpler to follow. Usually, this is used for dogs that are grossly inattentive, or have behavior/dominance issues. Think of it more akin to breaking a horse (no, I have never been in horses, so speak metaphorically): more force and less finesse than the first method.

While none of the above is original thought (not much, if any methods in dog training are), they are time tested. I would not put a e-collar on a dog that young, unless you are VERY well versed and experienced in it's use. It can work wonders when executed well with correct timing & stimulation, and judiciously, but in the hands of someone inexperienced, can ruin a dog the quickest as well.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks for all the help! This is my first experience training a bird dog so my biggest issues are knowing what time is appropriate to train for a certain behavior. I don't want to push him too early and I don't want to wait too late either. In the meantime, I'll lean on you folks for advice and tips! Hope my puppy will be forgiving with some of my inexperience haha

Gaswamp

I just started to use the wonder lead...Very impressed with it

StevePickard

Here's a link to a very good site for what to expect in puppy training from 8 weeks to 8 months. It written by a Brittany lover, but since a GSP has a short tail too, I'm sure it will work fine for them also! There is tons of info about training from puppy to adult on this site. I think this site will be very helpful to you.

http://brittanys.com/Brittany_training.htm#8weeksup
Steve Pickard

28gage

Let him be a pup. When I work a pup that young just lead breaking is enough. If you must teach heel try two steps at a time. Stop him with the lead and scratch his ears and make him think he's done something great. Then say heel and walk two more steps and repeat. You will soon see he wants the praise and will stay with you for a couple of strides and then stop him. When he's walking with you and stopping after a couple of steps try longer walks 10 yards or fifteen but make it fun for him. He's just a kid so keep the lessons short and fun..

Killinstuff

Well this thread is 4 years old but...........pups are pups so let them be pups is my view. But heal is easy to teach. Put them on a short leash and swing and end of the leash at them as you say heal and they try to get in front of you. Whip their nose a few time and they get it. A switch or branch does the same thing. Heal learned in 2 minutes.

Gaswamp

Here's a link to a very good site for what to expect in puppy training from 8 weeks to 8 months. It written by a Brittany lover, but since a GSP has a short tail too, I'm sure it will work fine for them also! There is tons of info about training from puppy to adult on this site. I think this site will be very helpful to you.

http://brittanys.com/Brittany_training.htm#8weeksup
Steve Pickard

thanks for the link

drahthaar

Mike, the best advice I've received for this question is from a NW Drahthaar guy. He holds treats in his heel side hand while basically resting his thumb on his hip. That keeps the dogs focus up, and even allows you to direct him to sit by sliding the treat backwards above his head. Once the pup understands you can withhold giving the treat until he is in the right spot, or stops when you stop. Then add waiting for eye contact to give the treat.

An added step that helps with a toothy treat eater is to cut hotdogs into long skinny strips like shredded carrots and place one in between the middle and rings fingers where they meet the palm. Hold your hand palm down above where you want the pups head. This gives the dog nothing to accidentally nip and lets you close the hand to withhold the treat but keep his attention with the scent. Obviously teaching the pup not to chew fingers when taking a treat is important but can be confusing to try and teach this plus heeling at the same time- this way you avoid scolding him for biting after a good heel, or rewarding a nip.