DNZ Mounts

Rabun

I put one on my ML...super easy to mount, but yet to sight in. Any opinions on these? Do they really align as well as they advertise?

wareagle700

They are machined well but will not make up for the varying tolerances on many actions. Any mount or rings, regardless of price/quality, won't be properly aligned unless the surface that they mate to matches up perfect.

I have a once piece DNZ on a Rem700 that's been great but I had to bed the rear of the mount to keep it from flexing.

Rabun

They are machined well but will not make up for the varying tolerances on many actions. Any mount or rings, regardless of price/quality, won't be properly aligned unless the surface that they mate to matches up perfect.

I have a once piece DNZ on a Rem700 that's been great but I had to bed the rear of the mount to keep it from flexing.

Thanks Wareagle....this is on a 700ML. How did you determine it was flexing and when you say "bed" it...what do you mean? Did you have to machine the rear mounting area on the receiver so the mount mated flush?

Thanks much!

wareagle700

With a one piece base, lay it on top of the receiver and install only the front screws. When you tighten them down, check the rear of the base to see if it is still touching the receiver. Sometimes you can slide feeler gauges under there, sometimes its touching in the front but not the rear, vise-versa, etc.... If there is a gap, when you install the rear screws it will flex the base which causes scope rings to be out of alignment.

The correct fix for this is to build up the under side of the scope base so that it mounts flush with the top of the receiver (no flex).

This tutorial does a better job explaining it that I could typing it on here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Bed-A-Scope-Base-Remington-M700-308-AAC-/

Rabun

With a one piece base, lay it on top of the receiver and install only the front screws. When you tighten them down, check the rear of the base to see if it is still touching the receiver. Sometimes you can slide feeler gauges under there, sometimes its touching in the front but not the rear, vise-versa, etc.... If there is a gap, when you install the rear screws it will flex the base which causes scope rings to be out of alignment.

The correct fix for this is to build up the under side of the scope base so that it mounts flush with the top of the receiver (no flex).

This tutorial does a better job explaining it that I could typing it on here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Bed-A-Scope-Base-Remington-M700-308-AAC-/

Ahhh...gotcha. When I mounted the base I checked alignment with Weaver ring alignment bars. Looked like they aligned perfectly (didn't see a need for lapping), but I think I'll check it like you said above before I go through the zero in process.

Thanks!

wareagle700

If your alignment bars looked good and didn't show any gaps I wouldn't worry about bedding it. Maybe put some loctite between the receiver and mount just to fill in any gaps.

Buckhead

I have a one piece DNZ mount on my Tikka T3 and a two piece DNZ mount on a Sako A7. No complaints with either. Fairly lightweight, very sturdy. No alignment issues. I prefer the DNZ mounts over Talley. I know some don't care for their looks, but I like their unique appearance. Attached is a pic

Attachments

• IMG_1050.jpg
    IMG_1050.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:

Rabun

I ended up taking off the mount and checking to see if it needed bedding per Wareagles advice...it did not. I did go ahead and lap it and remounted. Quick bore sight and seems to be pretty close. Just need to bring to range and sight it in.

Thanks guy's!

Attachments

• DNZ.JPG
    DNZ.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 516

lonewolf247

I have pretty much gone to DNZ 1-piece on most of my hunting rifles, well at least my most recent ones anyway. I really like the simplicity of the DNZ 1-piece, because it takes out another possible culprit of something getting loose in your mounting system, because there is no link between the rings and the bases.

Also, it's so much easier to mount correctly, than say the Leupold system with the windage adjustment, because of having to assure proper alignment. Don't get me wrong, I have the Leupold mounts on my main rifle, and have been on there 20 years with no issue. However mounting them without alignment bars, would be sketchy to really get them right.

As mentioned, the only issue that I could see you'd run into, would be if the action is not true, of course even with a 2-piece system, if it's off enough, you'd have to address it. I have mounted DNZ on 4-5 rifles with absolutely no issues. It's a solid mounting system.

Rabun

I ended up taking off the mount and checking to see if it needed bedding per Wareagles advice...it did not. I did go ahead and lap it and remounted. Quick bore sight and seems to be pretty close. Just need to bring to range and sight it in.

Thanks guy's!

I finally got a chance to shoot last weekend. First time in my life I ever mounted a scope and it was dead on without any adjustments needed. As noted above, I did bore sight....looked through the barrel and adjusted scope to match the point I saw through the barrel. Just uncanny that it was dead on following bore sighting.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I put one on a new Ruger American I just got. Everything lined up great, I was on paper from the first shot. I'd definitely recommend them.