The source of my Apple trees Cedar rust?

gordylew

I had posted a few weeks ago showing what I felt was Cedar rust that was causing my Apple trees to have lost all the leaves and fruit. I found this (picture) on several large red cedars that are growing within a 100 yards of my Apple trees. I believe this maybe the culprit. What to do ? Cut down every Cedar tree? Some are bigger around then me and 25 feet tall

gordylew

pic of cedar tree rust spore?

Attachments

• cedar rust.jpg
    cedar rust.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 152

gordylew

There is several trees with these on them. I have lived here 14 years and hadn't realized how big these trees have gotten compared to when we first moved here. This could be the reason the apple trees were not affected the first ten years. Comments and opinions welcomed. I would love to save my apple trees as well as the pear trees. Thanks

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, those are cedar-apple rust galls on the cedars. You could cut them, or prune the galls off. The galls will be big, orange, squishy, alien-looking things with tentacles in the springtime.

The thing is, the spores can travel for two miles or more in the wind. For what it's worth, I have never seen a cedar tree or an apple tree that wasn't infected that I can remember. Most of the time, it doesn't cause serious harm.