Question about iron clay peas and soybeans

Stump06

Hey guys, I planted several plots about the middle of June with some Iron clay peas and soybeans. The plots are now about knee high or so and the deer don't seem to be paying them any attention.

Anyone have any experience with this? There is also peanuts planted on the farm and i know the deer are frequenting them but my brother planted a plot about the same time as me and with the same stuff and they are hammering it.

I just wonder if they'll come to it later (Sept or Oct) or maybe wait till late season after a frost and eat the pea and bean pods that are left.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
If that is the first time you planted IC cowpeas, the deer might not get in to them, until they flower ...... which has to be close. Then "they'll get em"!

Stump06

Thanks for the responses! We usually just plant fall plots but have planted early plots like these in the past and they usually are in them right away... I just don't wanna waste time and effort if the plots are not gonna be beneficial.

We have had an unusually wet June/July so I'm sure natural browse is at a high level right now as well

Forest Grump

In some cases, deer don't know what they are & are reluctant to try them the 1st year. But I have found that IF I can keep them out (or get lucky) with ICP's & they get 1-2 feet tall, deer seem to mostly leave them until the days begin to shorten & it starts to get just a little bit cooler, then they will pick you to stems almost overnight.

Canuck5's observation is a good one; peas & clover are fixing maximum N as they begin to flower, & immediately begin to pump it into the plant to make seed. That makes the protein & nutrition go up, so the deer like it more. Add the incentive that they realize Fall is approaching, & Mother Nature demands they eat like a pig to fuel up. You can have an acre of lush peas turn to stems in less than a week.

The NEXT year, you will have a hard time getting one plant past the 1st set of leaves... they learn fast where the grocery store is...

Jim Boyd

We can grow ICP and have some success - particularly if our plots are big or in years where the nearby ag fields have some very attractive offerings, such as peanuts (which serves to give them a better alternative to the ICP).

Your deer will find them and eat them.

Soybeans?

Forget it in our area.

You could throw a pork chop past a hungry wolf before you could get a soybean taller than 2" in our area - unless you could plant a field that is perhaps 15-20 acres.

I wasted 12-15 bags of Eagle beans one year - planted 10+ acres (in multiple plots with the biggest being 2.5 acres) and they came up perfectly. They were then perfectly removed by the deer - not one plant made 3" in height.

My guess is you are sitting on a gold mine!!!!!

Good luck!

Stump06

The NEXT year, you will have a hard time getting one plant past the 1st set of leaves... they learn fast where the grocery store is...

Thats what I've learned. My brothers plot is in one we try to plant an early season bow plot in every year and most of the time it ends with the same results as this year. The plots I planted are older/neglected plots or plots we usually plant for fall. So they may still be figuring it out.

My guess is you are sitting on a gold mine!!!!!

I sure hope so! The are forage soybeans so I'm hoping they'll get tall enough to stand up to deer browsing by the time they start in on them... its sure looking that way so far!!

atlashunter

In some cases, deer don't know what they are & are reluctant to try them the 1st year. But I have found that IF I can keep them out (or get lucky) with ICP's & they get 1-2 feet tall, deer seem to mostly leave them until the days begin to shorten & it starts to get just a little bit cooler, then they will pick you to stems almost overnight.

Canuck5's observation is a good one; peas & clover are fixing maximum N as they begin to flower, & immediately begin to pump it into the plant to make seed. That makes the protein & nutrition go up, so the deer like it more. Add the incentive that they realize Fall is approaching, & Mother Nature demands they eat like a pig to fuel up. You can have an acre of lush peas turn to stems in less than a week.

If you are growing them to improve the soil should you terminate them as they are beginning to flower? And is it ok to disc them into the soil?

Big7

The Oracle
they'll get em

Great browse..

When they put out, it's on.

Not much luck with iron clay (tried it one time)

They will go a ways through corn to
get to those soybeans.

Bet the egg money on that. ;)

I c p s will grow on a rock. Deer eat them even after they turn brown. I grow the Austrian winter peas my self. They stay green and green is what you want when everything in the woods turn brown.