rimfire scope

greg_n_clayton

I am fixing to order a new Nikon Rimfire scope for a rifle I have on the way.

What are you guys thoughts on the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9 X 40 verses 4-12 X 40 with BDC retile ?? $20 difference between the 2.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
This is the one I put on my super duper 10/22. It is crystal clear and I love it and comes with 3 different elevation turrets for different ammunition. They also have a warranty as good as Vortex. I bought a 3-9x40mm Bushnell centerfire scope that I thought would work on my 10/22, but it would not adjust low enough for my rimfire. I sent it to Bushnell because I thought it was broken, but it was not. Because I was unhappy with it they sold the 3-12x40mm RIMFIRE scope in the posted ads for half the price of the $129 price which is a great scope. The turrets return to zero after I turn them up or down AND the PARALLAX adjustment on the left side distance numbers are spot on. All I have to do is laze the distance and turn the turret to the distance and the parallax is perfect. I have had Bushnell scopes for around 30 years and have never had a hiccup from any of them.

gt40

Attachments

• archangel stock .jpg
    archangel stock .jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 444
  • 6-3-2017 25 yds. .jpg
    6-3-2017 25 yds. .jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 442
  • bushnell 3-12x40mm rimfire scope .jpg
    bushnell 3-12x40mm rimfire scope .jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:

greg_n_clayton

thanks Billy on the hill !!

I am also leaning toward the Nikon because of the info they provide in the "spot on app". I found the info found there very interesting and informative.

greg_n_clayton

The Nikon ain't chiseled in stone. I been looking at he Bushnell Rimfires as well. Not very knowledgeable when it comes to rifle scopes. Old age and bad eyes are making me go this route.

But I do need to make a choice, the rifle will be here toward the end of the week !!

Thanks for the replies.

killerv

I have two of theirs. Really great rimfire scopes for the money. Their earlier prostaff rimfires were nicer than thenew prostaff ii rimfires. The latest models just look and feel cheaper. Their earlier models were best for auto guns, the eyepieces were quite large and bolt guns had issues with them no matter where you set the eye relief unless you used really high mounts...the bolt was gonna hit. For a little over 200, you can get a leupold rimfire. Just put one on a cz and its killer.

ASH556

I have the Nikon Rimfire BDC 3-9 on a 10/22 Takedown Lite and a Leupold 2-7 Rimfire on a CZ 452 American. Both are great scopes. The Leupold is clearer, smaller, lighter, and more expensive. The Nikon isn't a bad scope either. Both are plenty good for what I. See them for. I've never used a Bushnell I liked or kept long. Features look good on paper but are cheaply executed. Less magnification yields better field of view and eye relief making the scope easier to use in field positions, so for hunting I'd stay with a 2-7 or 3-9. If it's a bench gun then the 4-12 makes more sense.

greg_n_clayton

I want to thank you guys for the replies. I ordered the 3-9X40 Nikon. I am hoping it is the I instead of the II. But time will tell.

thanks again !!

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
New ad for the scope I put on my 10/22.

gt40

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 10.32.10 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 10.32.10 PM.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 264

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
This is the one I put on my super duper 10/22. It is crystal clear and I love it and comes with 3 different elevation turrets for different ammunition. They also have a warranty as good as Vortex. I bought a 3-9x40mm Bushnell centerfire scope that I thought would work on my 10/22, but it would not adjust low enough for my rimfire. I sent it to Bushnell because I thought it was broken, but it was not. Because I was unhappy with it they sold the 3-12x40mm RIMFIRE scope in the posted ads for half the price of the $129 price which is a great scope. The turrets return to zero after I turn them up or down AND the PARALLAX adjustment on the left side distance numbers are spot on. All I have to do is laze the distance and turn the turret to the distance and the parallax is perfect. I have had Bushnell scopes for around 30 years and have never had a hiccup from any of them.

gt40

Ive got a Zeiss Terra 3-12x44 on mine and I love it. There are always going to be bad reviews on every product or product line, for example I think anything Leupold is just overrated and unwillingness to try something that hasnt been deemed "the best" by the pros, Browning anything is pure poison in my book and wouldnt soil my guns bu having one in the same safe with them. The BEST way is to go and actually look and see how YOU like it, one scope for me may not be a fit for you. If you are ordering it? Go with what your gut tells you, remember, its YOUR rifle and scope. In these forums I see so many people speak of all these high end pieces of equipment they have, but, at the range I go to almost weekly, what do I see? ALOT of low to mid range firearms and scopes. I can say " go with a Schmidt & Bender, but thats a $3000 scope that in my dreams would like to have, the reality? I have 2 Zeiss, the rest are Nikons except the Barska 1.5-4.5 that has the Euro post reticle on my .416 Taylor. Yes, Barska. Call it cheap all day long, but it handles the .416 like a champ and has yet to lose its zero. As far as mounts? I like Talley, and DNZ even better, less moving parts and no turning of rings. They are rock solid and with a dab of blue loctite my sighting in for hunting season is just one shot to be certain and precaution. Again, YOUR scope, get what YOU like/prefer and feel proud of your equipment, its yours, nobody elses. Good luck on your choice