food plot

glynr329

Getting about time to think about food plots. What is everyone planting this year and where is the best place to get seed?

Mikeg135

best place to get seed is not at your local sporting goods store, but rather a locally owned farm and garden store.

I do a similar mix to Pennington's feeding frenzy and also very similar to what people on the forum's call the LC Mix. Winter rye, oats, winter peas, clover, and a turnip.

good luck with your plots this year. its getting close to start some tilling

glynr329

Thanks for the info. I went over the plots 2 weeks ago getting them ready for the final tilling. Planting towards middle or end of September. Thinking about oats,abuzzI rye, clover and turnips.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Looks like a good selection! I'll be doing wheat, 3 different clovers and a brassica to be named later!

Triple C

Only thing I'd add to you list would be to consider daikon radishes with or in place of turnips. I've experienced much heavier browse of radish over turnip, particularly earlier in the season.

Canuck5

Only thing I'd add to you list would be to consider daikon radishes with or in place of turnips. I've experienced much heavier browse of radish over turnip, particularly earlier in the season.

That's what I've found too!

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I will just be waiting on deer season to start. My perrennial clover is growing well.Ph is 6.8 so no lime this year. Might get the truck to spread some fertilizer.

Canuck5

Plus you get the added benefit of the radishes providing natural tillage! I am using some this year in a couple new spots just for that very reason.

Yes they do!!!

Attachments

• Daikon Radish 1-10-16.jpg
    Daikon Radish 1-10-16.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 707
I'll be doing a self-made mix of different types of oats, winter rye grain, crimson clover, yuchi arrowleaf clover, yellow sweet clover, maybe some durana clover, sugar beets, medium red clover, maybe some chufa, and radish. I always buy / order seed from those with the best prices. Adams-Briscoe Seed Company, Welter Seed Company, Hancock Seed Company, and since it's right up the road and generally has good prices, Golden Brothers in Thomasville. I always get the oats / rye from local stores like Farm Products or Feed Stores. Just make sure you get rye grain and not rye grass.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
picture.php

This is my first attempt. Soil test, 2100lbs Lime, 300lbs triple 19, and 120lbs of Soy bean, ICP, millet, sunflower, sorghum, buckwheat and cereal rye. This is 16 days since planting.

Put out 144lbs of milogranite and 40lbs of "bug killer" today in hopes of keeping deer and 'dillos out of it.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
picture.php

This is my first attempt. Soil test, 2100lbs Lime, 300lbs triple 19, and 120lbs of Soy bean, ICP, millet, sunflower, sorghum, buckwheat and cereal rye. This is 16 days since planting.

Put out 144lbs of milogranite and 40lbs of "bug killer" today in hopes of keeping deer and 'dillos out of it.
Moth balls spread every 2-3 foot in a perimeter keeps the dillos out of my yard.3 boxes per month and I still get to shoot them outside the perimeter

Buckstop

Mix of Oats, Cereal Rye, Crimson, Apache Arrowleaf and Red Clovers. Will mix in some rape and trophy radish in a few plots too.

Tried this mix on good recommendation from this forum and has done extremely well for us.

glynr329

I ordered my seed today and I am going with radish also. I did the radishes last year they kept coming back.

XJfire75

Where are y'all ordering the radishes from? Gonna call my local places for oats and rye