Cameras and cold

Matthewmathis8

I’ve recently gotten some new property up on mont eagle to hunt. I went up this past weekend and put out some cameras to see what made it through the season. I saw where the temps were supposed to get down to around 0 up there these past few days. Will that affect my cameras? I’m sure it is tough on the batteries but not sure about messing them up completely.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've never had issues with it so far besides shorter battery life.

Jim Boyd

Mine run in Illinois through the winter and it can brutally cold there.

I have not noticed shorter batt life as NCHB notes but the pictures are just fine.

I think your manual that comes with your camera tells you the operating temps and they are probably listed fairly conservatively.

Good luck!

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I have been using the Duracell Quantum batteries for the past few years now and they work much better than anything else. I have lots of cameras (especially the WGI Razor 10 LIGHTSOUT MODELS) that get 12-14 months battery life. I have lots of other cameras that I get 6-10 months routinely.

Without question, the battery life is diminished by the super-cold weather that we have recently experienced. You might not realize it until you get closer to that "12-14 months" period that you have been expecting and, unfortunately, your overall battery life may be shortened by a few months instead.

One other thing to notice is that when your battery life gets down to one bar, your photos will appear to be much darker and much harder to see. That is a natural occurrence on most any brand of camera to my knowledge. I try my best to check each camera most every week and go ahead and change out any batteries that are down to one bar as such so that I don't possibly miss that one photo that turns out GREAT.

A good example of this can be seen in my post # 32 and then compare it to my updated post # 42 that I made just this morning. Look at the brightness difference.

Please check this link below and see the difference.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=912496&page=2

livetohunt

I had a couple of cameras(Moultrie) quit working for a couple of days this year in Illinois, and one camera(Browning) completely stopped working. The Browning is dead even with new batteries so the cold killed it. My Reconyx cameras kept running perfect and the lowest temp I saw on a picture was -18F.