Milledgeville Gaboon Viper

j_seph

Gaboons are real cool snakes, scary as they come.
Knew a guy that had about 6 of them in cages right as you walked in his front door.
You'd walk in and they'd all swell up and hiss real loud. You Kinda Edged in his door and slid close to the wall when you walked by.
Nobody EVER broke into his house....
Your friend still have 6 of em now or 5:rolleyes:

emusmacker

I do know that the Gaboon viper is considered in the top 5 deadliest snakes in the world. Not arguing with a herpetologist but I know a little about snakes and became friends with a guy that had gaboon vipers. they are docile, but the bite will kill you in a matter of minutes. There was a documentary on the worlds deadliest snakes and the Gaboon viper was like 4th. it showed several people from Africa being bitten by a gaboon viper and they were dead with 45 mins easily, and a couple were herps from the US studying the venom. Like I said not trying to downplay what the Herpetologist said but just stating what I saw and what another herpetologist told me.

KLBTJTALLY1

I'm a grown man and I'm scared to death of this snake. Rattlesnakes, copperheads, whatever doesn't bother me but these things are scary. I believe it's a legit story based on the lady's story. Just like GA & SC saying there's no panthers when there's been many sightings. I usually leave snakes alone to do their thing but this one would be dead as hades if I saw one. I only hope he's alone but it's unlikely based on other stories out there like in SC and Maine. Snake boots and a pistol fellas.

misguided

i also saw a story from SC last yr where there was a gaboon viper loose. had a confirmed shed in hand. what i can't get over is that they continually say how serious it is because there is no antivenom nearby. originally said it would have to come from africa but then did say atl zoo has some. so, why not get at least 1 dose down to m'ville now in case someone is bitten? it's called be prepared EMS!!! no doubt it is a gaboon viper, just is the pic legit. i'm thinking it is. i mean pythons are being seen, trappedm, killed all the time. 2 cobras in tx in the last month, etc. we get hundreds on containers a month into our warehouse. yrs ago i grabbed up a snake one morning that was in the aisle and have everyone scared. and someone said what if it is poisonous? i wasn't sure what it was even though i'm good at identifying snakes but told them i knew all the poisonous(venomous) ones here and it for sure wasn't. they said, what if it came in on a container? i said, oops! same for spiders!!!

watermedic

Worst things about the Gaboon Viper is the speed of their strike and the fact that they have 2 inch fangs!!