Longleaf Pine Best For Southern Wildlife Habitat

tarpon1716

Brandon Bobo, a senior wildlife biologist with the National Wild Turkey Federation (NWTF) explains the vital importance of longleaf pine stands to America's wildlife. Deer, turkeys, quail and a host of other species flourish in longleaf pine stands, which is why biologists and the NWTF are working to re-establish them the way Native Americans did centuries ago.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Here is another great tree for wild life and especially deer. I have gotten trees from this company and many others. You get a much more mature tree from here than any other company I have done business with.

http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/Fuyu-Persimmon-Tree.htm

Review:

"Amazing tree
My grandfather had a Japanese persimmon when I was young and I still remember its remakable fruit. So I ordered the Fuyu Persimmon from Fast Growing Trees and it has been amazing. The tree arrived here in Houston, in the usual excellent condintion from Fast Growing Trees. I planted it about three months ago, i.e. February, and now, the first of May, the tree is not only growing without any planting shock but has at least a half dozen fuit growing on the tree. I am delighted with this purchase and highly recommend the Fuyu Persimmon from Fast Growing Trees."

gt40

PS: I just planted one of their Comice Pear trees in the middle of May and the branches have grown 18 inches in 2 months.

308 WIN

Brandon Bobo, a senior wildlife biologist with the National Wild Turkey Federation (NWTF) explains the vital importance of longleaf pine stands to America's wildlife. Deer, turkeys, quail and a host of other species flourish in longleaf pine stands, which is why biologists and the NWTF are working to re-establish them the way Native Americans did centuries ago.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

screedee

Fort Gordon

Fort Gordon is attempting to re establish some LLpine forest on base. I will search for the article and post.

swampstalker24

Fort Gordon is attempting to re establish some LLpine forest on base. I will search for the article and post.

I think attempting is the wrong word..... they've successfully established tens of thousands of acres of mature longleaf forest at Fort Gordon, along with all the other military installations located in the Sandhills region. Most of it is required by law in order to protect and enhance the Red Cockaided woodpecker habitat, but it's a win-win situation because it creates ideal terrain for training soliders in dismounted maneuvers.... I spent many a morning and afternoon enjoying the beauty of those longleaf pine forests and all the aboundant wildlife that they provide habitat to! :cheers:

fishingtiger

I planted a couple acres by hand of ll pine back in 2010. Some of them are 15 feet high now. Others are still in grassy stage. Depends on how much light and competition exists. I do like watching em grow, though! Something about a nice stand of long leaf is so beautiful!

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
barbour county wma, in alabama, has turned tonthe long leaf for all of its replanting, started about 7 or 8 years ago. but its bittersweet. in my lifetime they would always cut the hill tops, and leave the bottums. also there was several thousand acres of mature mix pine/ hardwood stands (50-60 years old? maybe even virgin, not sure). but in the last decade or so theyve gotten to where they CUT IT ALL. the woods i grewup in will never look like that again for my son to see. the forrests out on hawk road were just eye popping, then one day it was ten square miles of stumps big around as a car hood. so hurray for the longleaf but so long for the forrest!

Elkbane

I'm a professional forester and IMO, the push to establish longleaf is a huge CensoredCensored propoganda routine, largely perpetrated by people who really don't ever want to cut trees. It's fire that creates the habitat, not the species of pine tree. If you want to lock up a piece of land in 40+ year rotations and get 1/2 to 2/3 of the economic value out of your tree crop than you can with loblolly, go ahead, it's your decision to make.

Look at just about any North Florida/South GA national forest - they've turned them into uneconomic, bland, gallberry and longleaf monocultures that are anything but diverse. But then again, they really don't want to grow trees for money.
Elkbane

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I'm a professional forester and IMO, the push to establish longleaf is a huge CensoredCensored propoganda routine, largely perpetrated by people who really don't ever want to cut trees. It's fire that creates the habitat, not the species of pine tree. If you want to lock up a piece of land in 40+ year rotations and get 1/2 to 2/3 of the economic value out of your tree crop than you can with loblolly, go ahead, it's your decision to make.

Look at just about any North Florida/South GA national forest - they've turned them into uneconomic, bland, gallberry and longleaf monocultures that are anything but diverse. But then again, they really don't want to grow trees for money.
Elkbane

http://ncforestservice.gov/publications/LongleafLeaflets/LL07.pdf

:pop:

swampstalker24

Elkbane

And this attitude is the reason Longleafs where replaced with the lobblolly all across the southeast.... money. What most folks dont understand is the longleafs are more than just trees, they are a unique ecosytems whos value is much greater than just the board feet per acre.... Although they grow slower, the quality of wood from longleaf justifies the longer investment period and make more sense from an economic standpoint.... just my opinion though...

swampstalker24

Elkbane

Show me a loblolly pine plantation that has a wire grass understory, abundant red cockaded wood peckers, gopher tortoises, and indigo snakes......

nrh0011

I read somewhere that the only place that has more wildlife than a wetland is a longleaf pine forest. If I find the article again I'll post it.

HighCotton

I was not aware deer loved to eat pine needles and pine combs

You, like so many others, are completely missing the point.

Prescribed fire is an excellent way to increase natural food supply (browse) and wildlife habitat.

All that's being said is that the longleaf pine is most tolerant of fire.

Elkbane

Guys,
Have at me. I can take it. I've grown longleaf, loblolly and slash. Actually done it, as in put trees in the ground, not theorized about it. And I really don't want red cockaded woodpeckers, gopher tortoises or wiregrass on my farm. Maybe you do. If you want them, great. But you have to take 40 acres set-asides surrounding known protected and endangered species locations along with them. Each of them. They may seem romantic until you have to plan work around them (like no food plots or any other ground disturbing activities). And if you're thinking raked pinestraw production areas are good for wildlife, you need to see one - I think you'll change your mind.

Purely and simply, if Longleaf was the "best", then all the commercial plantations you see would be longleaf. They aren't. For a reason. The economics don't support it.

High cotton. Thank you. You made my point. Fire is what's causing the habitat improvement, not the tree species.

ELkbane

HighCotton

Guys,
Have at me. I can take it. I've grown longleaf, loblolly and slash. Actually done it, as in put trees in the ground, not theorized about it. And I really don't want red cockaded woodpeckers, gopher tortoises or wiregrass on my farm. Maybe you do. If you want them, great. But you have to take 40 acres set-asides surrounding known protected and endangered species locations along with them. Each of them. They may seem romantic until you have to plan work around them (like no food plots or any other ground disturbing activities). And if you're thinking raked pinestraw production areas are good for wildlife, you need to see one - I think you'll change your mind.

Purely and simply, if Longleaf was the "best", then all the commercial plantations you see would be longleaf. They aren't. For a reason. The economics don't support it.

High cotton. Thank you. You made my point. Fire is what's causing the habitat improvement, not the tree species.
ELkbane

You're welcome. I never said anything against loblolly. I just made a statement that longleaf is better adapted for prescribed fire as a way to improve food and habitat. Folks interested in making money from trees should probably stick to slash and loblolly although I'd like to see a comparison of the economics. Like someone else has said, longleaf might take longer for harvest but the value of that harvest could be greater.

Gut_Pile

ELkbane

Then wouldn't the longleaf win out due to the fact you can burn from the beginning, compared to basically having zero habitat the first 12-15 years from a loblolly.

DeoVindice

Very good video. My little piece of south Georgia heaven has lots of long leaf pines. Big, old ones that have never been cut. We have big bucks too. Our pines make it perfect for prescribed burns. The straw piles up so deep it is almost like walking in snow. I did not burn this year but plan to do it next year, probably right after deer season.