Rental for the Autobahn

Patriot44

Banned
Hey All- going to Munich in two weeks and want to knock out a life's bucket list item. Has anyone ever rented a luxury sports car for the sole purpose of driving on the autobahn?

I am going with a couple guys so we can split up the cost. Thanks and I know this is a pretty wild question but I know there are some Army dudes on here that may have done this.

sinclair1

I have been in the uncles SL, but I hear it's changed a lot and you need to do some research to find a good area now days, if you really want to open it up.:flag:

Patriot44

Banned
I have been in the uncles SL, but I hear it's changed a lot and you need to do some research to find a good area now days, if you really want to open it up.:flag:

Thanks buddy! This is actually number two on the life bucket list so I want to do it right. I am going to hit up some of my eng buddies that live there. I know that one of them has the new BMW v8 that I would not mind driving.

rayjay

Check the air in the tires before setting out. I'm not kidding !!!

flyfisher1

Me and the misses went over to Germany about 4 years ago. I rented a "Premium" class car through Avis using my company discount code and saved about 10-15%. The picture and description on Avis's site indicated a manual shift BMW. I thought we got a steal of a deal because I only paid about $600 for a 2 week rental! We opted to take a $20 cab to a nearby off site Avis because the ones at the airport have to pay concession fees for having an airport presence. I think that saved us a little money. I'm not sure what you consider luxury but the car were given at Avis was the most luxurious car we had ever been in...considering I've only driven a pickup truck my entire life. It was a Mercedes E200 6-speed turbo-charged. Man this thing was a blast to drive. What we consider luxury cars over in the US are par for the course in Germany, everyone drives a BMW, Mercedes or Audi. I think we were on the A-1 and got it up to about 130MPH with plenty of omppph left then someone in the passenger seat made me slow down, probably for my own good. Gas fill ups were painful though as it only took 93 octane. I think it was about $120 to fill up from empty and getting around 800km+ per tank. Well worth it though. We were going to take it on the Nürburgring but the BMW driving experience was going on all day and normal folks weren't allowed on the track until 5PM, and we had a destination to get to. Maybe next time.

Capt Quirk

Back in the day, you used to be able to rent Shelby Cobras with the performance engine. That would be a blast! Of course, folks would rent these, and swap the engines with their stock Mustangs.

I haven't been there for a while, but when stationed over there in the early 90s I owned a 1988 Corvette and enjoyed the mostly unlimited (still then) autobahns. Keep your headlights on at all times and be sure to allow faster cars to pass. The Germans are excellent and very disciplined drivers.

On my previous tour in Germany I purchased a new BMW 320i and two new Audi 5000S to enjoy the traveling we did.

I'd look at a BMW 540i or Audi A7 to rent.

Enjoy your vacation!

Cmp1

BANNED
I can't comment on the rental car,,,, but I was stationed there for 4yrs,,,, I'm sure it has changed since I was there, late 80s,,,, since this is the On topic forum, if you want to PM me,,,, feel free to Patriot,,,,

rjcruiser

Just know that certain sections have speed limits. Had a buddy get a ticket over there on the autobahn....And it is illegal to pass on the right.

Had a VW Passat that struggled to get to 115 mph last time I was on the autobahn.

Cmp1

BANNED
I bought a 320 while I was there, straight 6, dual carbs,,,, I got passed all the time, gas is probably still really expensive,,,, like others have said, no passing on the right,,,, there are speed limits,,,, How long are you going to be there? I can recommend some places to go, if you want,,,,

Savage19NRA

I was stationed there in the 70's. Drove a XM757, 6 spd automatic, 4 axle tractor with hydraulic steering pulling a 30,000 lb loaded Pershing Missile launcher. Maxed out at 50mph on the level. Even at 50 mph that was a snake to drive with proportional hydraulic steering.

Did get passed by a speeding Carerra south of Heilbronn and the wind off that bullet moved my rig a few inches.

If you can find it try a Augusta Brau, He%%ll Bock, smooth!

Cmp1

BANNED
:hair:

You are dating yourself a bit there...:bounce: I bet you have been to Bliss as well?

Thanks ya'll, I am really looking forward to this.

Munich is really pretty, but if you're going to rent a car, make sure you get to Garmisch partenkirchen,,,, but really the trains would be better,,,, and get ya a Bitburger while you're there,,,,

Savage19NRA

:hair:

You are dating yourself a bit there...:bounce: I bet you have been to Bliss as well?

Thanks ya'll, I am really looking forward to this.

Never been to Ft. Bliss, AIT at Ft. Sill 1974. Then on to Swabish Gmeund, Btry B, 1/41 FA, Pershing Sir!.

Before I pass on, I intend to have a Meer's Burger again.