Deer won't eat my corn

Hardwoods

Been feeding the deer corn since deer season went out and refreshing it every 2-3 weeks. Everytime we went it was all eaten but today we went to refresh the corn and they had hardly touched it. We got pics of them just walking right by and only a few eating. Can someone tell me why they won't eat it?

stev

Banned
Been feeding the deer corn since deer season went out and refreshing it every 2-3 weeks. Everytime we went it was all eaten but today we went to refresh the corn and they had hardly touched it. We got pics of them just walking right by and only a few eating. Can someone tell me why they won't eat it?
must be a lot of good brouse they like better .

camotoy

if you got blackberrys around they are hammering them right now !!!

Flatone

turn the feeder down and monitor the usage.... they will start back. I had a stretch that lasted from June till Sept when they simply didn't touch one particular feeder.. I turned the feeder way down and had to rake out the old moldy corn... go figure. Don't take it personal. They should think twice before offending the cook!

swamp hunter

Hogs will take up the slack. Too much browse right now. Hard to beat fresh greens , and blackberrys. I love them Crystal Burgers , But not for dinner every day.

high tech. hunter

It must not be that good Orville Redenbaucker stuff :bounce:
Beats me, those other theories sound good to me.

I never can get them to eat corn in the summer. I knowsome people that feed all summer and say the corn dissapers.I am notsure they are not feeding coons.

Rip Steele

All the rain that we have got put alot of green on the ground. They prefer to eat browse this time of year. They want need to corn till August if that. But you can throw a little out once a week nothing heavy and they seem to eat it as a quick fill up.

Gut_Pile

They don't need it right now. The woods are full with green right now and they prefer that. The corn does them no good this time of year besides being a quick meal. Once the browse starts to fade away they will be back on your corn again.

People's gardens are coming in. Deer got to take care of business just like folks. Eating up gardens takes up all their eating time.

Attachments

• P6090057.jpg
    P6090057.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 3,623

JBowers

They don't need it right now. The woods are full with green right now and they prefer that. The corn does them no good this time of year besides being a quick meal. Once the browse starts to fade away they will be back on your corn again.

BINGO! With the abundant spring and early summer rainfall experienced across Georgia, native vegetation is abundant, is of higher quality, and is more preferred by deer. Let Mother Nature provide for them and save your money.

Or, you can waste your dollars on corn to feed hogs and coyotes. Not to mention, establsihing predator ambush sites as in the attached picture.

Attachments

• coyote1.jpg
    coyote1.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 6,766

Hardwoods

Well okey dokey then... thanks for all the replies guys.:flag:

BIGJOHNA

In my opinion with all this rain we have had,the corn may have gooten wet and began to rot. My lil girl and I usually put 50 lbs or better in one ( 3"pipe ) feeder in our backyard every other week. Usually they run thru it pretty quick unless it gets wet. Once wet, they wont touch it! We've had to cut down recently to just throwin out a half gallon or so each time so as not to waste any. Hope that helps. ;)

"It is more important to praise God and his glory everyday of the week than it is to go church on Sunday."

We're seeing the same thing in Taliaferro County. We checked our feeders and the deer have been passing the corn up. I turned their broadcast time way down. After reading all these replies, I'm probably going to turn them down even more (maybe 1 second cast duration twice a day) until we move all of them before the season starts.

It appears our feeder has attracted a 'yote as well.

Does anybody here keep any of their feeders active during the season in a non-hunted area to help hold deer on their property?

Attachments

• CDY_0002.jpg
    CDY_0002.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 3,207

high tech. hunter

Corn moving slow here as well. Feeder picture attached. I have moved my cameras to the mineral lick areas now.

The first day of September is my annual signal to pull my camper to the hunt camp and take down feeders and cover licks etc... That makes me the legal >10 days prior to bow season Sept. 12th with no bait. 60 days to go :cool:

Attachments

• Corn feeder.jpg
    Corn feeder.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 3,374

dharnold

Feeding Deer

Having same problem. For the last month coons and crows visiting feeders. Using Godfreys and Purina deer mix makes no difference. 6 feeders have half corn and half soy bean. Put out mineral blocks and minerals from the bag both, still no activity. This is in Green county. The food plots are not doing all that well because of the rain but still not much activity. The only thing I haven't done is hang a neon sign "free lunch".