Tithing benefits!

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tithing is good for the soul. God don't need your money

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
You do realize which forum this is posted in, correct?

Say what you will. It's nigh impossible to counter the dreaded :whip: with mere reason. I mean if someone gets one of those over on you, it's over for all intents and purposes.

SemperFiDawg

Yeah but those churches sure do.

Meh. Depends on the church. Our church stays broke, but we don't NEED anyone's money. If it comes in it's immediately spent on missions: either local or distant. There is no savings account. Everyone knows this up front. Pastor drives an old Chevy with over 250k on it with headlights gorilla taped in, courtesy of a deer. We're not rich nor want to be.......just help others and spread the gospel. It's that simple.

There's certainly a lot to critize with a lot of Churches, but for every church out there that makes the news for the wrong reasons, there's a bunch more that are out there making a positive difference.......just like people. Only the bad ones make the news.

StriperAddict

?? But we've begun in the Spirit ...

According to Jesus, tithing is a matter of the law. The cross shows us we have died to the law thru the body of Christ (Rom7:4), and our new hearts have been changed to obey out of grace (Rom:6:17-18). We can miss it often for the reason of holding on to Moses gives us a pseudo safety net for all manner of obedience. Beloved, this just cannot be. Either we are led by the Spirit in the realm of giving or we're not. Are we seeking to make our giving 'perfected' by the flesh, or are we walking in total dependence on the new way?

Grace shows us a better way, the infusion of the Spirit and the freedom of His righteousness within. Living out of that (abundance) is the life of the faith of Christ, without the condemnation - or the confusion - of the law, but within the benefit of the Life within, to be expressed by communion and not by law.

In the New Covenant economy, giving is cheerfully from the heart with no obligation, set standards or restrictions. Therefore, the benefit cannot be measured back in percentages of money, per the "health/wealth" gospel, but that Christ is seen more clearly as our exceedingly great reward.

matt79brown

Old thread I know, but gotta comment. In my studies on tithing I found this to be a way to support the Priest that served in the temple under the law of Moses. Like your preacher I too can quote the verses from the old testament that support tithing and warn against not doing so. Heard 'em all my life. However that system is no longer in place. Where is the temple, priest, animal sacrifice that went along with the tithing? There all back there on the other side of the cross! DON'T GET ME WRONG, WE ARE TO GIVE! But to who, what for and why? Study the words of Christ and his apostles & you will find instruction to give to widows, orphans, poor, blind, and so on. There is also examples of supporting those that preach the word. Anyone who has a need that you can alleviate. Especially those that are of the faith the word says. Paul in his letter to the believers at Corinth told them to take a collection for the brethren that where in need in Jerusalem. Jesus stressed the importance of caring for others in Matthew 25 not long before he went to the cross. GIVE & GIVE SOME MORE!! Over & over in the word of God, you see true believers suffering hardships of all sorts. This idea of tithe and all your problems are gonna go away is not found ANYWHERE in God's word, old or new testament. Give. YES! To who? When? Why? Study and see for yourself. YOU'LL NOT HEAR THIS PREACHED IN CHURCH! Why?
Keep in mind that the Lord's apostles worked with their hands at times to support themselves so as not to be a burden on the church. Read it all for yourself. Its right there in your bible. Your preacher may want 10% but what does the Lord want? That is the question we need to be asking ourselves.

Artfuldodger

Not really a tithe but someone has to support their local Church. If it's a small church then perhaps the "work with their hands" can apply. Most preachers at smaller Churches and in the past farmed and/or had other jobs.
The members cleaned the Church, did lawn maintenance, and even building maintenance.
Times they are a changing. Folks don't even have time to cut their own grass or change their own oil let alone at the Church.

Most Churches would rather have their Preacher not work so that he can visit the sick, council, etc. If so then someone has to pay for his cable TV and his food.
Again, this is not a tithe but similar to a tithe to pay the temple priest.
It's the same but different because of the New Covenant. Maybe.

matt79brown

Tithing was a a way to support the priest that served in the temple under the law of Moses. That system is no longer in place. Where is the temple? Where is the priest? Animal sacrifice? Like your preacher I too can quote all the verses about tithes & offerings from the old testament. Heard it all my life. Both the advantages of doing so and the warnings of neglecting to do so. However that system is no longer in place. Again I ask where is the priest, temple, sacrifice? Its all back there on the other side of the cross. Give? YES! But to who? Why? How? Study the words of Christ and His apostles and you will find examples, instructions and directions on giving. Jesus placed great emphases on giving to those in need. Ever read Matthew 25:31-46? Christ and His apostles show us the extreme importance of giving to those in need. Anytime we can alleviate the needs of others we are to give. Give, give and give some more. Give? Yes! But to who and why? In his letter to the believers at Corinth Paul instructed them to take a collection for the brethren at Jerusalem who where in need. There are also examples of supporting those who preach the word. However there are also examples of those that preach the word SUPPORTING THEMSELVES. Peter and Paul both had work they done from time to time to keep from burdening the church. Study it for yourself. Give. Yes. But to who? Why? This idea of tithe and all your problems will go away is not found anywhere in the word of God, old or new testament! All through the word true believers suffered various hardships. You probably have never heard these things brought up by your preacher. Why do you think that is? Give, give, give is absolutely correct! But to who? Why? Study for yourself. The preacher may want 10% of your weekly income but what does the word of God ask of you? Let your faith go beyond the doors of the church house. God's not broke. He doesn't need your money, But a lot of His people could use your help. Giving is not about getting a return. I would question mine and my preachers motives if I was considering it an investment strategy. Matthew 25:31-46. Read it.

matt79brown

Artfuldodger!!! I laughed till I bout near cried! Oh me, I thought my 1st reply didn't post so I said pretty much same thing again. HEHEHEHE.... oh well, I guess I made my point. You made my day. Thanks. HEHEHEHE....

Artfuldodger

Artfuldodger!!! I laughed till I bout near cried! Oh me, I thought my 1st reply didn't post so I said pretty much same thing again. HEHEHEHE.... oh well, I guess I made my point. You made my day. Thanks. HEHEHEHE....

It was late, I had to recheck to see if I was loosing it.:D
Glad you liked my response!

Mako22

BANNED
Bad things happen to tithers and some tithers stay poor all their lives. True tithing is done out of a love for God not as an investment to get a return.

Mako22

BANNED
There are also examples of supporting those who preach the word. However there are also examples of those that preach the word SUPPORTING THEMSELVES.

Kinda hard to be at a hospital praying over a dying church member when your on the job all day! I read your comment and find that you dont have a clue why tithing is done in a New Testament church.

SemperFiDawg

I chuckle every time I hear someone use the Old Testament example of tithing to argue that it doesn't apply now. It's a valid argument, but represents only one side of the coin. The flip side is to "sell everything you own and follow me" which is exactly what the early church did. Why do you think it is that this argument is NEVER used?

I would suspect the answer is because it would expose the true nature of the individuals heart to exactly where Christ sits in relation to their money.

I firmly believe that if a persons heart is truly grateful to Christ that person will daily strive to give MORE, not less, to the point that they are able to give all.

Last edited:

matt79brown

Woodsman69. Where is this tithing in the new testament? Your right I don't have a clue. Can't find it anywhere? I'm all about giving. Thought that I made that clear. But the way I give is not tax deductible nor will it gain you any prestige in the church. Please enlighten me! Really. Please explain the connection. Maybe there is something that I have over looked. I been wrong before, after all that's why I need a savior. Show me in the word. Also I pointed out that it is biblical to support those that labor in the Lord's work. I do so. Even with some preachers that I don't agree with on all the topics such as these, but their fruits show that they love the Lord and His children. But I also pointed out that it is biblical for these men to support themselves also. Oh' but I'm not suppose to point that out am I? Since beginning my walk with Christ I have had to change my mind on hundreds of topics. My goal was to encourage people to read and study for themselves, not blast paid preachers or belittle anyone.

matt79brown

SemperFiDawg. Now where gettin' somewhere! What If we believers today where as radical as the early church. Now that would be revival!