Camper Bounce and Squeak

AM1

Just got back from our 8th trip with our camper (2015 30' Wildwood X-lite). I have,a few questions over some minor issues that keep cropping up.

1. Camper bounce/shake- what do you guys do to eliminate it once set up. We level up and put down the stabilizer jacks but it still shakes and yaws when moving thru the camper.

2. Squeaking while in transit- I know alot of campers squeak at the hitch and tongue. Ours does it pretty bad. It doesn't bother me too much but it scares my wife. I have the WD hitch set up right and everything runs level, camper and truck. It doesn't seem to be the friction sway control bar because it still squeaks on our way out to the dump station (where I attach the sway control). I have not greased the ball.

Any ideas for either issue?

WayneB

unless you have a 6 point jacking system, you will have some bounce and sway, there is still weight on the axles and suspension.

You can add a couple screw type adjustable stands to help, or try to lift the rig with the jacks you have; however you may introduce a swayback effect and have cabinets or doors that won't function properly.

Most WD hitches pivot at the ball mount to the receiver, lubing this could help with sounds, but may likely attract dirt and debris and accelerate wear.

If you truck squats enough to need the WD hitch, you may want to try a dry lube like graphite that won't attract dirt on the hitch pivot.

I've never greased a ball before, I walk into the silly thing enough as it is. Having a greasy tell-tale and a knot on the shin just seems to add insult to injury to me.

Greene728

Look at X-Chocks. You’d be amazed what a difference it makes when the tires are firmly chocked in place. Far as bounce goes, do you have the stabilizer jacks “firmly” planted? Once your set up and in it a day or so go back and check them again as they will almost always settle some and need a little resetting. And the hitch is gonna make some nerve racking noises from time to time. Lube any points you can to help it out, but other than that not much you can do. Especially if everything is set up nice and level. You can try to take a little weight/stress of the torsion bars and see if it helps any. Maybe there loaded a little to much?

T-N-T

X-chocks are the best thing you can add to fix movement.

WayneB

X-chocks are the best thing you can add to fix movement.

I average 46 weeks a year with work related travel in my camper, and I have found x-chocks to be nearly worthless over a long stay.

Any time you can take weight off the suspension and place it directly to the frame, you gain rigidity and stop da bounce.
X-chocks only wedge the axles apart, which does help.. however day/night temp swings make them more or less effective depending on the amount of expansion or contraction based on temps.

Cheap bottle jacks and 4x6 wood blocks at all jacking points will do more over all to stabilize your rig.

just my $0.02

Greene728

I average 46 weeks a year with work related travel in my camper, and I have found x-chocks to be nearly worthless over a long stay.

Any time you can take weight off the suspension and place it directly to the frame, you gain rigidity and stop da bounce.
X-chocks only wedge the axles apart, which does help.. however day/night temp swings make them more or less effective depending on the amount of expansion or contraction based on temps.

Cheap bottle jacks and 4x6 wood blocks at all jacking points will do more over all to stabilize your rig.

just my $0.02

I can see your point if staying for longer periods of time with moderate to severe temp fluctuations. But for the weekend warrior or vacation campers, I think the X chocks work well. Carrying around a bunch of bottle jacks and wood cribbing would be silly for "most" people. Work campers like yourself with extended stays....yep!

3ringer

Sounds like you are doing everything possible. I was going to suggest loosening the sway control but you said that you didn't have it attached yet. It may be you need a different type of weight distribution hitch. They have some that are much better than the old bars and chains. I have the bars and chains . Mine creaks and moans sometimes. As far as moving at the campsite, maybe use double chocks on all wheels. Pull up on the front chocks while somebody kicks in the other chocks from the back of the tires. Other than that , try not to be bouncing around so much in there ?

WayneB

I can see your point if staying for longer periods of time with moderate to severe temp fluctuations. But for the weekend warrior or vacation campers, I think the X chocks work well. Carrying around a bunch of bottle jacks and wood cribbing would be silly for "most" people. Work campers like yourself with extended stays....yep!

There are screw type jackstands out there which I suggested first. bottle jack should be a part of your loadout for any travel in case of a blowout or bearing failure.

the 4x6 wood blocks I use no matter what, just to enlarge the footprint of the jack, and reduce the likelyhood they will sink in softer ground often found in state parks, COE and Forestry campgrounds.
16" length under jacks, and 12" + for under the tongue jack.

I'm older, gone to fat too, so I drilled a 3/4" hole in each block and loop some braided rope through em to use as handles. Works pretty spiffy. :)