How long is a Creation day?

marketgunner

God did what God did. It appears to me that God may have, in the process of creation, created the "rules." Although we do not understand all the rules, the ones we have identified so far, seem to be very consistent. Rules like quantum physics, chemistry (both organic and inorganic) and gravity all seem to be very carefully designed and thorough. Perhaps, God took six identifiable and distinct epochs in creating this universe because God wanted to create a complete, naturally flowing and consistent universe.

One point posters here seem to neglect. God is everlasting. Our Lord was here before there was a universe and God will be here when all of this is gone. Why would God be in the least bit be concerned in how long it took to create? Perhaps God has identified the ages (epochs, periods, days) of Creation as a tool for us, to help us find a closer relationship with God, the one God, the God who IS the creation, who IS the Creator, who is Eternally God.

(And maybe, like Adam, and so many of us since, we have found a way to miss the point - seeking to define the chronological instead of appreciate the divine.)

I think, He was influencing the fallen angels that were here .

In the Beginning God ...., is wrong the correct translation is In the Beginning of God creating ....

We know angels and sons of god already existed

Job 38:7

When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

RegularJoe

Another matter about which i have long time wondered
(has no bearing, of course, on whether i am 'saved' or not, thankfully :- ) .....
Can I actually 'safely' assume that back 'in the day' when He was creating the Creation that the glorious Earth was actually rotating on her axis (1 rotation = 1 'day') in the same time frame as she is at this present time .....
thus affecting the actual time length of a day.
IF i have to guess (i am not any kind of 'scientist,' fyi :- ), i'd guess that she was rotating at the current speed; however, perhaps it is niave of me to assume so.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Which is harder for your god, to forgive your sins or create the world in 7 days, allow a fish to swallow a man and spit him out after 3 days, raise up men from stones, make stones cry out Hosannah, etc? Many of you claim faith, but few actually BELIEVE because you simple KNOW better. That’s not Faith: it’s foolishness cloaked in pride attempting a charade of beliefism.

Last edited:

marketgunner

One can believe without understanding or believe through understanding. My understand in not important. My believing cannot depend on my strength, The faith is a gift of God , given to us to exercise. It is up to use to exercise faith correctly.

The how strong is my belief is not important, it is the truth of what I believe.

Artfuldodger

One can believe without understanding or believe through understanding. My understand in not important. My believing cannot depend on my strength, The faith is a gift of God , given to us to exercise. It is up to use to exercise faith correctly.

The how strong is my belief is not important, it is the truth of what I believe.

Amen!

BanjoPicker

They Were 24 Hour Days

They were 24 hour days just as they are today, And the Earth was made before these seven days, for it was cover with water from the first flood !

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Not only was the earth, stars, sun, and all the other stuff here created, God created time at this point.

some people find it hard to imagine a place that existed (heaven) with beings ( God, angels and heavenly creatures) outside of our time / space continum, even though this is the biblical teaching on the subject. God has always existed, was not created, He just was.

This infinite being then imagined a universe that was in perfect working order and created it, and in the process created time.

I can only imagine.

kmh1031

How long were the Creative days?

Much discussion and arguments have been had over this question...however what does the Bible have to say, or not say on this topic?

The Bible does not specify the length of each of the creative periods.

Yet all six of them have ended, it being said with respect to the sixth day (as in the case of each of the preceding five days): “And there came to be evening and there came to be morning, a sixth day.” (Ge 1:31)
However, this statement is not made regarding the seventh day, on which God proceeded to rest, indicating that it continued. (Ge 2:1-3)

Also, more than 4,000 years after the seventh day, or God’s rest day, commenced, Paul indicated that it was still in progress.

At Hebrews 4:1-11 he referred to the earlier words of David (Ps 95:7, 8, 11) and to Genesis 2:2 and urged: “Let us therefore do our utmost to enter into that rest.” By the apostle’s time, the seventh day had been continuing for thousands of years and had not yet ended.

The Thousand Year Reign of Jesus Christ, who is Scripturally identified as “Lord of the sabbath” (Mt 12:8), is evidently part of the great sabbath, God’s rest day. (Re 20:1-6)

This would indicate the passing of thousands of years from the commencement of God’s rest day to its end. The week of days set forth at Genesis 1:3 to 2:3, the last of which is a sabbath, seems to parallel the week into which the Israelites divided their time, observing a sabbath on the seventh day thereof, in keeping with the divine will. (Ex 20:8-11)

And, since the seventh day has been continuing for thousands of years, it may reasonably be concluded that each of the six creative periods, or days, was at least thousands of years in length.

That a day can be longer than 24 hours is indicated by Genesis 2:4, which speaks of all the creative periods as one “day.”

Also indicative of this is Peter’s inspired observation that “one day is with God as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day.” (2Pe 3:8) Ascribing not just 24 hours but a longer period of time, thousands of years, to each of the creative days better harmonizes with the evidence found in the earth itself.

Artfuldodger

Not only was the earth, stars, sun, and all the other stuff here created, God created time at this point.

some people find it hard to imagine a place that existed (heaven) with beings ( God, angels and heavenly creatures) outside of our time / space continum, even though this is the biblical teaching on the subject. God has always existed, was not created, He just was.

This infinite being then imagined a universe that was in perfect working order and created it, and in the process created time.

I can only imagine.

Did God create time on the fourth day?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Much discussion and arguments have been had over this question...however what does the Bible have to say, or not say on this topic?

The Bible does not specify the length of each of the creative periods.

Yet all six of them have ended, it being said with respect to the sixth day (as in the case of each of the preceding five days): “And there came to be evening and there came to be morning, a sixth day.” (Ge 1:31)
However, this statement is not made regarding the seventh day, on which God proceeded to rest, indicating that it continued. (Ge 2:1-3)

Also, more than 4,000 years after the seventh day, or God’s rest day, commenced, Paul indicated that it was still in progress.

At Hebrews 4:1-11 he referred to the earlier words of David (Ps 95:7, 8, 11) and to Genesis 2:2 and urged: “Let us therefore do our utmost to enter into that rest.” By the apostle’s time, the seventh day had been continuing for thousands of years and had not yet ended.

The Thousand Year Reign of Jesus Christ, who is Scripturally identified as “Lord of the sabbath” (Mt 12:8), is evidently part of the great sabbath, God’s rest day. (Re 20:1-6)

This would indicate the passing of thousands of years from the commencement of God’s rest day to its end. The week of days set forth at Genesis 1:3 to 2:3, the last of which is a sabbath, seems to parallel the week into which the Israelites divided their time, observing a sabbath on the seventh day thereof, in keeping with the divine will. (Ex 20:8-11)

And, since the seventh day has been continuing for thousands of years, it may reasonably be concluded that each of the six creative periods, or days, was at least thousands of years in length.

That a day can be longer than 24 hours is indicated by Genesis 2:4, which speaks of all the creative periods as one “day.”

Also indicative of this is Peter’s inspired observation that “one day is with God as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day.” (2Pe 3:8) Ascribing not just 24 hours but a longer period of time, thousands of years, to each of the creative days better harmonizes with the evidence found in the earth itself.

such a perversion of the original text.

Gen 1 uses the word 'yom' to indicate day... along with the term 'evening and morning'

each and every time those words appear in the Bible, it is interpreted day... a literal 24 hour day.

Now please explain to me how, the first time it is used it could mean anything else? If you are introducing a new word, you have to have a definition of that word. How could that word, use the first time mean something different than it did in the rest of book of Genesis?

It is only logical that it wouldn't and it doesn't.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Did God create time on the fourth day?

no.. it was created on day one. First Day.

'yom' is the term for day, and 'evening and morning' defines it as a literal 24 hour day. Each time this is used in the Bible, it means a literal 24 hour day, and no one argues that point. But they try to say in Gen 1 and Gen 2 that those terms means something else.

Weird and perverted.

kmh1031

Creation day

Not all days mentioned in bible are 24 hr days...
Notice 2Pet 3:8

8 However, do not let this escape your notice, beloved ones, that one day is with God as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day.

Is a day in the Bible always literally 24 hours in length? Genesis 2:4 speaks of “the day that God made earth and heaven.”

This one day encompasses all six of the creative days of Genesis chapter 1.

According to Bible usage, a day is a measured period of time and can be a thousand years or many thousands of years.
The Bible’s creative days allow for thousands of years of time each. Further, the earth was already in existence before the creative days began. (Genesis 1:1)

On this point, therefore, the Bible account is compatible with true science.​—2 Peter 3:8.

kmh1031

A final comment on the Creation day time frame

24 hour creative day?

The Hebrew word translated “day” has a variety of meanings, including ‘a long time; the time covering an extraordinary event.’
(Old Testament Word Studies, Grand Rapids, Mich.; 1978, W. Wilson, p. 109)

The term used allows for the thought that each “day” could have been thousands of years in length.

Consider this fact regarding a 24 hr day vs a longer day...

Light from the Andromeda nebula can be seen on a clear night in the northern hemisphere.

It takes about 2,000,000 years for that light to reach the earth, indicating that the universe must be at least millions of years old.

End products of radioactive decay in rocks in the earth testify that some rock formations have been undisturbed for billions of years.

Genesis 1:3-31 is not discussing the original creation of matter or of the heavenly bodies.
However it describes the preparation of the already existing earth for human habitation.
This included creation of the basic kinds of vegetation, marine life, flying creatures, land animals, and the first human pair.

All of this is said to have been done within a period of six “days.”

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
the word day 'yom' when used with the term 'evening and morning' each and every time it is used always means a literal 24 hour day... even when it it is used in Gen 1.

BanjoPicker

The Six Days are Literal Days

Not all days mentioned in bible are 24 hr days...
Notice 2Pet 3:8

8 However, do not let this escape your notice, beloved ones, that one day is with God as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day.

Is a day in the Bible always literally 24 hours in length? Genesis 2:4 speaks of “the day that God made earth and heaven.”

This one day encompasses all six of the creative days of Genesis chapter 1.

According to Bible usage, a day is a measured period of time and can be a thousand years or many thousands of years.
The Bible’s creative days allow for thousands of years of time each. Further, the earth was already in existence before the creative days began. (Genesis 1:1)

On this point, therefore, the Bible account is compatible with true science.​—2 Peter 3:8.

That the six days of Gen. 1 were literal twenty-four hour days as we have know days every since, is very clear in Scripture. the reason why they were literal are as follows: The word evening is from Hebrew ehred, meaning dusk, evening or night. It is translated evening forty-nine times, but it is not once used in a figurative sense. The word morning is from the Hebrew boker, meaning dawn, break of day, morning or early light. It is translated morning 187 times, but not once in a figurative sense. This shows that the words day and night, or light and darkness are literal days and nights, and are regular periods of light and darkness regulated by the sun, moon and stars, as mentioned elsewhere in Scripture (Gen. 8:22; Ps. 19:2; Job 38:12; Jer. 31:35-37; 33:19-26). There is no hint in Scripture anywhere that day and night ever did, or ever will come from a different source than from the sun, moon, and stars that were created before the Earth, as we have seen, or that we are to understand day and night in a symbolic sense.
It is true that the word day, which is used 2,182 times as a literal day, may refer to a prolonged period when it is qualified as "the day of the Lord" or "the day of God" However, when it is used with qualifying words beginning or ending the day, like evening and morning, it can only be understood in the literal sense. It is further proved to be literal by numbering each day as first, second, third, etc, as one naturally would number days when speaking of any seven days which he wishes to mention. No symbolic period is ever numbered in Scripture.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I dont understand what the argument is about. I think we Christians have a lot more to worry about than deciding what a day constituted.

BanjoPicker

I dont understand what the argument is about. I think we Christians have a lot more to worry about than deciding what a day constituted.

I think one needs to understand as much of the Bible as he can. no argument here just Bible learning.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy

It is important, Bo$$, because either the Bible is true and believable, or it isn't. If the first conversation in the Bible is false, or has errors, how can you believe the rest?