Pecan trees

southernman13

Thinking of planting 5 or more acres. What’s a good variety and good place to purchase them. Won’t be irrigated at least not in the beginning. Also preferred spacing. I see a lot here and there that seem to be fairly close. I’ve heard they serve their purpose and then cut every other one out. Again that’s heresay

southernman13

Thx for the info. Was hoping for some recommendations for Randolph County area. I may stop by some of the local growers and bend their ear

doomtrpr_z71

Plant Elliott for nuts and Pawnee for pollination, otherwise don't bother, you won't be able to deal with the pecan scab issues you will run into.

southernman13

Yes sir that’s what I was looking for. Equal amounts of each or does it matter. That gives me a good reference for a starting point thanks.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
The spacing depends on what you want to do. At the end of it all most old orchards are at a 50x50 spacing. A lot of the young trees now are planted at a 25x25 spacing. If memory serves me correctly at 50x50 you can get 17 trees per acre. so double that for the 25x25. Good luck!!

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
pecans

Dick7.62 gave you a great place to start. If you are serious about planting 5 acres do some research,you'll be glad you did. UGA extension service has got a really good book out you should invest in. It's title is Southeastern Pecan Growers Handbook. It will satisfy most of your questions and concerns. For 30 to 40 dollars you get the benefit of the best practical,and time proven practices of pecan growing compiled by Lenny Wells of UGA. I did almost exactly what you want to do 40 years ago. I wish that I could have had this book then. I'll be glad to tell you more if you'll pm me.

doomtrpr_z71

Dick7.62 gave you a great place to start. If you are serious about planting 5 acres do some research,you'll be glad you did. UGA extension service has got a really good book out you should invest in. It's title is Southeastern Pecan Growers Handbook. It will satisfy most of your questions and concerns. For 30 to 40 dollars you get the benefit of the best practical,and time proven practices of pecan growing compiled by Lenny Wells of UGA. I did almost exactly what you want to do 40 years ago. I wish that I could have had this book then. I'll be glad to tell you more if you'll pm me.

Lenny just updated it in April I believe https://estore.uga.edu/C27063_ustores/web/classic/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCTID=4500&SINGLESTORE=true
A good bit of the book is online for spray schedules and such.

bullfrog79

i planted some this weekend. ordered my from willis, arrived in about 2 weeks. i plan on trying to get more now that i have some in the ground. mine are pawnee and elliot.

Killer Kyle

Good advice right here. Not just the book, but your local coumty extension agent is likely the best place to start. Keep us updated on your plantings and their progress. I'd love to see a two or three or five year update. Booooyy you gonna have the squirrels in a decade or two!
Just out of curiosity, what is the goal of your planting? Farming pecans I assume? Investment? Hunting? Just curious!

joejoe47

If you go to 25 x 25 it takes about 70 trees per acre. Makes the establishment cost much higher but does give you higher returns much earlier.

southernman13

I haven’t had time to do anything more with my plans. Time just keeps on keeping on and before you know it it’ll be summer. I may try and see what I can do in February if anything. Good luck to all with it

huntall

I wanted have more planted this year. I planted 5 from stark brothers and they have great quality. Some produce 6-10 years