2-4-D Amine for tree removal

Does anyone know the correct mix to use for 2-4-D Amine for killing sweet gum trees and other unwanted trees? I'm planning on using a back pack sprayer and the hack and squirt method.

treemanjohn

Banned
You don't need a backpack sprayer for hack and squirt. All you need it a small spray bottle and a hatchet or bush axe. 2 4 D is OK. I prefer glyphosate 41% or RM43. I use both straight. It'll cost you about 3 cents a tree. It will kill them dead as a hammer

81vr4EfsZaL._SY550_.jpg

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
I mix 1 oz Amine to 1 gal water. I just spray the leaves and it kills the trees.

doomtrpr_z71

The rate for an injection is 2ml per tree undiluted, however you need to wait until at least may to use 24d effectively.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I prefer straight 41% glyphosate, or a really strong triclopyr/2, 4-D mix like Garlon for hack and squirt. The label will tell you what rates to use for various methods of control. And the label is the law.

So, I can spray straight glyphosate (41%) on trees 6nchs or less in diameter this time of year and I should be good to go? Correct?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
So, I can spray straight glyphosate (41%) on trees 6nchs or less in diameter this time of year and I should be good to go? Correct?

It works better when the tree at least has buds swelling and isn't completely dormant. That is pretty much true of any herbicide. And you need to get it into the tree, not just on the bark. Hack/squirt or cut and paint both work well.