This year's nest or last year's?

Quackmasterofgeorgia

Last year the hen had a succesful hatch. I finally got time to go and replace the shavings and always take a picture before I do to make sure there aren't any eggs, well I count around 7, and don't know if they are from this year. What do y'all think about it?
*tried to resize it on imgur, but it wouldn't.
3I7fQnW.jpg

jerry russell

Can't answer your question but my boxes have had ducks in them for three weeks. I have never seen them occupied in early February. We have had two hatches on my lake with 19 ducklings. All 19 made to adulthood. I would have thought some would have been lost to predators given the remoteness of the lake.
Putting out duck boxes was the best thing I ever did. The lake is swarming with woodies now.

Quackmasterofgeorgia

Can't answer your question but my boxes have had ducks in them for three weeks. I have never seen them occupied in early February. We have had two hatches on my lake with 19 ducklings. All 19 made to adulthood. I would have thought some would have been lost to predators given the remoteness of the lake.
Putting out duck boxes was the best thing I ever did. The lake is swarming with woodies now.

It turns out that it is this year's nest. Have another one out on a different swamp with a hen in it. Just put two more out today. They normally hatch off 13 per box with the first hatch. I will agree, they boost populations.