How many 'shooters' did you see this season?

QuackAddict

I saw two for sure and both of them are now in the freezer. I saw a couple more that were possibly shooters but I didn’t get a good enough look at them before they disappeared.

Twinkie .308

I saw 8 different bucks that were 110-120", 5 from 120-130" and two 130"+ from the stand. The only ones I considered shooters never gave me a clear shot. I've never hunted a property where I saw so many biguns. After 4 years here I've shot one buck that scored 126" and another one that scored 130". I've learned a lot about trigger control with so much potential running around.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
As mentioned, a "shooter" is how you define it, a buck that you would pull the trigger on, which varies between hunters and regions.

Key statement. ^

If he makes your heart go "thump, thump, thump" he's a shooter. Everybody's heart is different.:cool:

Kris87

I saw a handful. Killed two with my bow that I had already identified that I wanted to kill. This one I let go was bigger than both I killed but he was only 3.5. Got great video of him though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171110-155916-576x1024[1].jpg
    Screenshot_20171110-155916-576x1024[1].jpg
    72 KB · Views: 182

pottydoc

Three that met club standards. (120) Two I couldn't get a shot at, the other was a younger ten that will be a stud next year. I know I'll probably never see him again, but I watched him walk off.

Hammack

Hunted maybe ten times all season. I saw 5-6 shooters, and killed one which is about my average now days. I usually kill one good deer a year and let the rest go.

walters

Deer

Saw 3 shooters, and 1 maybe shooter, killed
The first one, and it scored 150+ inches, he set the bar high, messed up and let the next 2 walk, looking for a little bigger. But they will be bigger next year

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have no criteria for a deer being a "shooter." If I'm hunting and I see a deer that I want to shoot, I shoot it. If I don't want to shoot it, I don't. This year, I shot a couple deer, and didn't shoot a bunch of deer. The biggest buck I had a shot at, I didn't shoot, because I already had a dead buck on the ground.

deerhuntingdawg

Two that I’d consider a shooter for me. And one is the buck in my avatar(on the left).

releehweoj

8 of my cameras and 6 another guy's cameras - 6 shooters identified - 8+ "next years" captured.

21 outings to the stands - saw 3 shooters - took 2.

Buck Dropper

I hunted 62 times this season from bow thru January. I saw a shooter 7 different times. Some of those were probably the same deer, but different locations and different days. I killed two.

Deernut3

The Thursday before Thanksgiving when it rained like heck all day and then stopped an hour before dark, I saw a hot doe with five bucks chasing her. Three of the five were no doubt shooters for that area which I'd say is anything better than 115 inches. Another would have been close but was broke off after his left G-2.