Blew another one!

elmer_fudd

Went out to the WMA yesterday with my scoped .22 mag hoping to come across some hogs. Saw deer, turkey, and at about 4:30 I heard a lot of movement so got behind a tree. Sure enough I started seeing pigs about 75 yards away. I waited for a shot and finally lined up a head shot on a big spotted one (aimed behind the ear). After the shot I didn't see it.. so was hoping it was down. I saw a couple dozen that ran off and I didn't get another shot. Never could find any blood or anything, so assumed I missed.

Heading back to my car I ran into some fellas that had killed one earlier from that same sounder.

I've only killed 3 pigs over the years so am not that experienced at it, and this is the first time I have taken a shot with a rimfire. I'm wondering what I could do better in this situation. Should I have tried to get closer to them? I figure with that many hogs I would likely be spotted or possibly scented. I have never tried grunting to draw them in.. but maybe they would try to circle downwind of me?
I am thinking I should probably use the muzzeloader next time because a rimfire doesn't leave any margin for error. I would take my .22 mag revolver as a backup in case a momma came at me.

Big7

The Oracle
.22 WMR is PLENTY.. So is a .22 LR.

They won't bleed much unless you hit them
with a center-fire and not much even then.

To much fat and the skin will draw back and close the
hole with small calibers.

In LR, try Aguila 60 grain SSS.
They are quiet, even un-suppressed
and hit like a Thor Hammer.

By your description, I'd say you just missed.

.22 WMR behind the ear would have dropped that thing
like a bad habit. Better yet, shoot FOR the ear canal.
Not much bone to go through to get to the "good stuff".

elmer_fudd

Yeah, that muzzleloader is so heavy, so that's why I went with the rimfire. Even though I was leaned against the tree I should probably be using shooting sticks. The scope is sighted in for 75 yards, but that is still a long shot.

jbogg

I have been using my centerfire this year on a few, but I like the muzzleloader as well. 250 grains of any quality bullet to the heart/lung is a big target, and results in a dead pig. It is a little heavier than a rimfire, but that big cloud of smoke makes it worth the trouble.

GTHunter

I've seen 5 pigs shot with rimfires that didn't get to ride home in the truck. It is a poor indian that blames his bow, but perhaps I am just not a good enough shot to continue trying it, so I won't ever try it again in February. I know a lot of people have great success with .22 mags, including Mr. Glen Solomon, who I consider the Godfather of pig hunting on public land, but I have been disappointed too many times. There is no reason not to use a centerfire this time of year.

panfish

I killed a lot of pigs with a 22lr. Never lost one yet. But I know I'm going to now. I should not have said anything.. when I do pull the trigger I usealy try to shot 4 or 5 times fast..

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Believe me, if I had access to pigs on private land I would be using my .30-06

As long as the WMA you a hunting has a furbearer season then you CAN use the 30-06 while bobcat and fox season is open. Some WMAs do not have a furbearer season like Pine Log for example.

killerv

All we had was a 22mag one day when we came up on a dozen or so, picked out a 120lb sow and shot her behind the ear. She sat right down.

elmer_fudd

As long as the WMA you a hunting has a furbearer season then you CAN use the 30-06 while bobcat and fox season is open. Some WMAs do not have a furbearer season like Pine Log for example.

OMG! I never noticed that part about small game weapons only for night time hunting. It's on now!!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Went out to the WMA yesterday with my scoped .22 mag hoping to come across some hogs. Saw deer, turkey, and at about 4:30 I heard a lot of movement so got behind a tree. Sure enough I started seeing pigs about 75 yards away. I waited for a shot and finally lined up a head shot on a big spotted one (aimed behind the ear). After the shot I didn't see it.. so was hoping it was down. I saw a couple dozen that ran off and I didn't get another shot. Never could find any blood or anything, so assumed I missed.

Heading back to my car I ran into some fellas that had killed one earlier from that same sounder.

I've only killed 3 pigs over the years so am not that experienced at it, and this is the first time I have taken a shot with a rimfire. I'm wondering what I could do better in this situation. Should I have tried to get closer to them? I figure with that many hogs I would likely be spotted or possibly scented. I have never tried grunting to draw them in.. but maybe they would try to circle downwind of me?
I am thinking I should probably use the muzzeloader next time because a rimfire doesn't leave any margin for error. I would take my .22 mag revolver as a backup in case a momma came at me.

I've said it a hundred times and I'll say it again.......Heart/Lung shots ALL DAY!! Bigger and softer target. If I am looking straight at a pig, I will try to him him in the forehead, but any side shot, I am going to put one in its armpit!

Low and forward........Behind the ear surely is a fave amongst many here and if you hit the spine, the pig should not go anywhere. Best advice is to know your anatomy:cool:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
BTW- I'm stoked you got to see pigs and get a shot at one!! WOO HOO! Thats AWESOME!!:cheers:

elmer_fudd

BTW- I'm stoked you got to see pigs and get a shot at one!! WOO HOO! Thats AWESOME!!:cheers:

Thanks! That is the second time I came across pigs this winter (on different wma tracts).. which I know is pretty lucky. I went out yesterday for the last time.. this time with the AR.. but did not come across any. darn skeeters were out in this warm weather. Will put away the rimfire until squirrel season.

I am familiar with the heart/lung placement.. but would you use a rimfire for that? Part of that target is behind the front shoulder/leg. I believe I will go for heart/lung from now on with a centerfire for sure.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Thanks! That is the second time I came across pigs this winter (on different wma tracts).. which I know is pretty lucky. I went out yesterday for the last time.. this time with the AR.. but did not come across any. darn skeeters were out in this warm weather. Will put away the rimfire until squirrel season.

I am familiar with the heart/lung placement.. but would you use a rimfire for that? Part of that target is behind the front shoulder/leg. I believe I will go for heart/lung from now on with a centerfire for sure.

I hunt Pinelog almost exclusively and there is No furbearer season there so I carry the .22 mag.......DEFINITELY put the rim fire in its arm pit as it may bounce off the skull if there is any angle to it.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I've dropped a few with a regular 22, shot behind the ear or straight into the forehead. Don't get the shot just right, and they will run off like nothing happened. I like buckshot on private property when stalking a sounder. Wait until they bunch up, then shoot from about 35 or 40 yards, Gets more than one most times. When i have a choice between sow or boar, i will shoot the sow first. They are the multiplying factor.

Don't feel bad Elmer. I took a shot at one last year with a 22lr from a rest at about 30 yards. Aimed for the base of the ear and it ran away like nothing had happened. Don't know what happened. I'm sure it works great sometimes, but there is no margin for error. I won't try that again. It just pains me to loose game.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Don't feel bad Elmer. I took a shot at one last year with a 22lr from a rest at about 30 yards. Aimed for the base of the ear and it ran away like nothing had happened. Don't know what happened. I'm sure it works great sometimes, but there is no margin for error. I won't try that again. It just pains me to loose game.

Been there done that.......mine was a monster sow. I put 13 in her neck/skull base and then stuck the barrel in her ear........I could have blown out her lungs EZ facepalm:

bany

I suggest not shooting behind the ear Elmer. In the ear or in eye or in between both of either. Here’s 2 of 3 from last week. 22mag 30gr 3 shots=3pigs and not one step. 75yds on two

Attachments

• 59356FC0-A2CF-42F0-AB47-33FBAEC4997B.jpg
    59356FC0-A2CF-42F0-AB47-33FBAEC4997B.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 256
  • D42AFF09-EEE4-4D2B-A74E-C39086D399D8.jpg
    D42AFF09-EEE4-4D2B-A74E-C39086D399D8.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 256