Trolling motor/battery reccomendations for Scanoe

Ryman07

I fish on a Scanoe and currently use a Minn Kota Endura 30 trolling motor to get me around.

It is time for a new battery for sure, and looking for the best value option that will last me long days of fishing... sometimes with 2 fishermen on board. Battery reccomendations?

Also, I was thinking about replacing my Endura 30 trolling with the next level up Endura C2 40. How much of a difference will the extra 10lb thrust make on speed/power?

Rabun

I have been using AGM batteries for my trolling motor vs. flooded batteries for quite some time now. There rate of self discharge is much slower and they re-charge quicker and they are much less apt to be damaged by vibration. They are more expensive but to me they are well worth it because history has shown me that I do not ruin AGM's like I do flooded batteries...but that's just me. If you go with a standard flooded battery, just make sure you get a deep cycle one and I recommend maintenance free. With any battery, the key to longer life is to never fully discharge them (below 11.8 volts) and to always re-charge them after use and keep them conditioned during storage.

30 vs 40...you have a little over 30% more thrust so you will realize more speed and since it would be a new motor, I would think you gain some improvement on efficiency because it is new (assuming they are both 12volt motors)...although sometimes newer does not mean better...it may mean cheaper components. If your 30 is running fine, I would put your money into as good/high capacity a battery as you can afford and a quality charger. If you are looking for a step up in efficiency and power, consider a 24 volt motor, but now you have two batteries in a rather small boat so that may not be an option.