Chufa

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I planted me a few bags of chufa last year around the edges of my food plots and I forgot how much the turkeys loved these things , looks like bream beds , my daughter already put her a blind up for youth weekend , these things ought to be illegal to hunt over !

Attachments

• 831995A2-8C46-4FD0-AC4C-B5AA748412A8.png
    831995A2-8C46-4FD0-AC4C-B5AA748412A8.png
    857 KB · Views: 591

antharper

Staff member
Another picture

Gotta love it !

Attachments

• 8813D4C6-C81C-4C96-9B0C-D5A9E64AA6B1.png
    8813D4C6-C81C-4C96-9B0C-D5A9E64AA6B1.png
    876.7 KB · Views: 586

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
So you planted it last year? In the spring? We were thinking of trying some last year and never did. We get mixed responses of when to plant and what kind of soil to plant in. And where to get it. It obviously looks like you are successful with it! I'd love to read what you have to say for newbies to try Chufa. We have several food plots with cereal grains close to the end of their cycle in them now

antharper

Staff member
Sea trout 1st , I’m far from a farmer , but they were very easy to grow , most people say if u have hogs don’t even bother and to plant in sandy or well drained soil ! I got my seed at a feed and seed store in Newnan, I think 60$ a 50lb bag , not sure on exact date but I planted during turkey season and basically done it same way I’ve always done iron clay peas , fertilizer and lime every year in all my plots and just broadcast and lightly covered with disk , should of sprayed during summer but I just mowed over coffee beans with mower picked up , and the dirt is full of them now , gonna plant a few more areas this spring ! I’m sure some others will chime in and give u some better instructions !

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
That sounds easy.
I've read a lot not to bother if we have have hogs. We get trail cam pics of hogs passing through a few times a year. Hogs don't seem to maintain permanent residence on the property.
Congrats on your chufa! Those pictures are exciting!

antharper

Staff member
Thanks , I put 2 trail cams in them a couple days ago , I’ll post some more pics soon I hope !

tr21

we planted some a few years ago in a new loggers loading deck (nasty soil with motor oil puddles and god knows what else in it) it did great came back for 3 years on its own. it looked like the surface of the moon there were craters as big around as a 55gal drum and a foot deep from the turkeys scratching to get it. we have planted many food plots since then and none have ever done as good as that one. we have used both chufa gold from nwtf and Spanish chufa, they seem to like the Spanish better from what we notice. antharper in a few weeks lightly run a disc on a lane or 2 in your plot, don't do the whole thing just 1 or 2 runs to fluff it up.

wooly

Thanks and enjoy!
We are thinking about doing this also.
Good hunting!

Squadron77

The first year I planted I got a bag and planted about half of it in April. By August the turkey cleaned out the field so the next year I planted 2 bags in April and the turkey had cleaned out the fields by late November. I wised up and started planting the week of July 4th. The chufa would mature by mid October and the turkey would be on the acorns and not get into the chufa until mid to late January. There were still be on the chufa in March and April.

DRBugman85

:mad:Planted 3 food plots and the HOGS dug it all out and ruined all 3 plots they came from the land around our leases. The hogs have got out of hand here in South Georgia.