Acorns on the ground...a bit early !

turkeykirk

Got a ton of them like that since Irma blew thru.

ucfireman

Wonder what it will do for later in the year if they all get ate or rot this early? Guess food plots will be a good idea.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The swamp chestnut oak I planted in my yard long years ago lost most of its acorns yesterday, and I was planning on using them for seed. I gathered em a little while ago and hoping that they are mature enough to sprout.

stick_slinger

Hoping the deer come by to have some for breakfast in the morning lol.

Tmpr111

This year's akern crop was unlike any I've seen in a longtime, and also more green ones on the ground now than I can ever remember seeing too.

ucfireman

This year's akern crop was unlike any I've seen in a longtime, and also more green ones on the ground now than I can ever remember seeing too.
Just got done looking at 4 big white oaks, 2 are still loaded, winds didn't get them and 2 still have a fair number.

oldfella1962

I had my binoculars in my rucksack Saturday - I should have used them to see if the white oaks I saw had any acorns when I was done hunting - I forgot all about them. I did see a lot of acorns on blue jack oaks in a place I was working outside today. Not a "preferred food source" but deer tear them up in some places I hunt around late October thru season's end.

swamp hunter

We got the Big Oak acorns all over the ground as well.
Low Bush Oaks are Loaded, really loaded...I'm good.

across the river

A hurricane blowing through will do that.

oldfella1962

We got the Big Oak acorns all over the ground as well.
Low Bush Oaks are Loaded, really loaded...I'm good.

oak trees have a lot of nick-names. When you say "low bush" oaks are you talking about these (that grow in sandy areas)? If so, I have a bunch in a few spots where I hunt. Blue jack oaks are called lowbush oaks but then again other oaks are called that too. But if the oaks in my pics are what you are talking about then I guess I've got a pretty good food source a lot of people where I hunt overlook.

Attachments

• oak1.jpg
    oak1.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 507
  • oak2.jpg
    oak2.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 503

swamp hunter

Yup oldfella..that's one of the couple different kinds we got on my Lease. Sandhill Hunt Club so yea their all growing on the top of the sand hills.
They sure put out the Acorns every couple years.
I quit trying to figure out their names awhile ago..Scrub Oak works for all of them...

oldfella1962

Yup oldfella..that's one of the couple different kinds we got on my Lease. Sandhill Hunt Club so yea their all growing on the top of the sand hills.
They sure put out the Acorns every couple years.
I quit trying to figure out their names awhile ago..Scrub Oak works for all of them...

well that's good to know! Those "preferred food sources" aren't gospel, because deer where I hunt love those blue jack oak acorns.

AliBubba

I was in the No GA mountains today clearing trails after Irma. Acorns of all sorts were everywhere knocked down by Irma. Not sure how this will effect the feed/mast for wildlife? Any thoughts/ideas?

spencer12

I was in the No GA mountains today clearing trails after Irma. Acorns of all sorts were everywhere knocked down by Irma. Not sure how this will effect the feed/mast for wildlife? Any thoughts/ideas?

Acorns everywhere here in south ga as well after Irma. My deer have scattered. I've got acorns of all sizes shapes and colors littering the ground. As of now they've got everything they need to not come by my stand.

supernube

I had 20+ deer in my summer food plot opening day. 0 yesterday and there are plenty of ic peas left to eat. I think they are eating the green acorns.

Northwestretriever

Yep, and they aren't ripe acorns either. They will rot before ever getting eaten. The mast crop this year has just been cut short, thanks to Irma.

Deer and squirrels are eating them in the mountains. Had two does tearing them up this morning.