Ash Wednesday

WaltL1

With today being Ash Wednesday, just wondering if any of the believers here observe Ash Wednesday and if so how/what do you do?

ambush80

Creeps me out when I see schmutz on people's foreheads every year. I saw a newscaster lady with some. She looked ridiculous.

ky55

Creeps me out when I see schmutz on people's foreheads every year. I saw a newscaster lady with some. She looked ridiculous.

Martha McCallum and Laura Ingraham on Fox News.

WaltL1

Schmutz? :rofl:
I had that cross adorn my forehead many a time.
While typically associated with Catholicism its not limited to that.
Ash Wednesday is a Christian day for peace and the first day of Lent, which is six weeks of repentance before Easter. Ash Wednesday is observed by many Western Christians, including Anglicans, Lutherans, Old Catholics, Methodists, Presbyterians, Roman Catholics and some Baptists.

Artfuldodger

I was in Lowes Wednesday and noticed ashes on a mother and daughter. I thought they were Jewish. It didn't even dawn on me then that it was Ash Wednesday.
It looked like it was in the shape of a cross or plus.

WaltL1

I was in Lowes Wednesday and noticed ashes on a mother and daughter. I thought they were Jewish. It didn't even dawn on me then that it was Ash Wednesday.
It looked like it was in the shape of a cross or plus.
Yep a cross.
Ash Wednesday derives its name from the placing of repentance ashes on the foreheads of participants to either the words "Repent, and believe in the Gospel" or the dictum "Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return."[2] The ashes may be prepared by burning palm leaves from the previous year's Palm Sunday celebrations.

ambush80

I'm embarrassed for humanity when I see displays like that, jus as much as I'm embarrassed when I see Hindu dots, burkas, messianic Jew sideburns. etc. What the heck, People!!!??

WaltL1

I'm embarrassed for humanity when I see displays like that, jus as much as I'm embarrassed when I see Hindu dots, burkas, messianic Jew sideburns. etc. What the heck, People!!!??
:rofl:
I'm going to have to part ways with you on this one.
I really don't see it as any different as seeing a Christian with a Bible in their hand, or a kid with purple hair or someone with a concert t-shirt etc.
More or less just a visible expression of who they are I guess would sort of be how I see it.
Doesnt get any more reaction out of me other than "Oh they like the Grateful Dead or Oh they are Jewish or Oh they are Muslim or Oh they are a punk rocker" etc etc.

Artfuldodger

It's weird when Christians are fanatics but OK when football fanatics wear costumes, cheese hats and makeup.

I guess one could say at least the football fans only do it at events.

Big7

The Oracle
Does anyone even know what the ashes
are? Why do it?

Hint: Blessed burned palm ashes.

Why put that Cross of ashes on you head?

XChew a while, then I'll tell you..

WaltL1

are? Why do it?

Hint: Blessed burned palm ashes.

Why put that Cross of ashes on you head?

XChew a while, then I'll tell you..
are? Why do it?
Hint:
I had that cross adorn my forehead many a time.

matt79brown

It's one 'em ''divine traditions''. Probably originates with the sackcloth and ashes fasting done by the Jews under the law of Moses but with a new testament Catholic spin on it. To each his own I reckon.

Big7

The Oracle
It's one 'em ''divine traditions''. Probably originates with the sackcloth and ashes fasting done by the Jews under the law of Moses but with a new testament Catholic spin on it. To each his own I reckon.

Catholic is the New Testament.
Spin came around 1500's sumptin'.

Took off in 1611.
Been spinnin' (and splittin') ever since.

Don't take my word please.
Look it up.. I recon.

Just Sayin'.

matt79brown

Em' Catholics keep good records. If you wanted to waste the time studying it you can probably track it down to the exact day that it started and who got credit for the grand idea. I reckon.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy

but you are not embarrassed with face tattoos, ear plugs, piercings, implants that resemble horns, teeth reshaping, or the like ???

geezzz

Big7

The Oracle
Em' Catholics keep good records. If you wanted to waste the time studying it you can probably track it down to the exact day that it started and who got credit for the grand idea. I reckon.

In order.

We do. Most of them are in Rome in the rest of
most known Christian archives. (look it up)

33 A.D., is the answer. (look it up)
Waste of time trying to reform His Church.

Jesus and the Apostles and ECF's (look it up)

Handed down tradition is all there was until about 350 A.C.
The Bible was The formation of the New Testament canon (A.D. 100-220)

Go ahead and look that up too.. ;)

Hit me up if you need anything else.