ruger stock and trigger question

bigdave

i have a stainless m77 mkII in .308, is it a long or a short action ? i am wanting to replace the stock w/ a thumbhole wood stock. where is a good place to look? does it make more sense to have the factory trigger reworked or go after market?

MrgreenJeans

I believe the .308 is a short action. To answer your trigger question I think you can get an excellent trigger either way. The advantage to the aftermarket is you will have the ability to adjust it (Timney).

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
trigger: Gun Docc put a timney in mine and it break clean and smooth at about 3.5 lbs. he did tell me he could have done about the same with the factiry trigger, but I already had the timney

caver101

Short action

triggers: tuned factory or after market are great either way. I have a factory 270 that has been worked over, good trigger.

Glassman

A new trigger is less than a hundred bucks. Like another post said, you have the freedom to adjust it as you see fit.

A trigger job varies in cost according to who does it. Be sure to use a reputable gunsmith or you will wind up taking it to more than one.

Maybe Gun Doc can suggest someone in your area. Any man that has the backing of as many people as he does knows his business.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
thanks for all the info. how much does a good trigger job or trigger cost?

the timney was about $80 if I remember correctly and about $35 +/- for the labor for Gun Docc to put in. It was well well worth it for him to do it considering how much he had to take off the factory safety to get it to work

caver101

Where in GA is GunDocc? Always looking for a good smith!

I had my factory worked over by R.L. Mathews, now deceased, if I recall it was $25-35, 6-8 years ago.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Gun Docc is in Toccoa...a bit of a haul but always worth it. 2 hours drive for me