Burl E.'s 10/22 re-build

Burl E.

I am starting a little project, as of late. (like I don't have anything else to do :banginghe )
I have a new Ruger factory bull barrel, a Boyds stock, and a trigger rebuild kit (starts with a V... Dont ask me to spell it or how to pronounce it. Ya'll know what I am talking about)
Is there any tips you may have to help me? Like replacing the barrel, does it just slide back in or do you have to do something to get it in line and straight?
I just want to make sure I am doing it right and won't hurt myself or others.:hair:
:pop:

SmokyMtnSmoke

Just take your time and and pay attention. It's a very easy to work on gun.

I did mine last year, Butler creek Bi-pod stock with a bull carbon fiber barrel, re-did the trigger group w/ an adjustable sear, jellow jacket buffer, man does she drive tacks now.

Go read articles from here as well http://www.ruger1022.com/index.html

GA1dad

Volquartsen?????

Handgunner

The barrel is easy to replace, it's been a while since I've tinkered with one, but it seems like there were two allenhead screws and a "dovetail" that held the barrel in.. Loosen the allen heads, twist the barrell off, and install the new one, and retighten the allenhead screws.

Fun projects, I wish I still had mine.

ruger.jpg

Here is a site with a wealth of knowledge and they even have a forum dedicated to the Ruger 10/22.

Rimfire Central

Back2class

Dont overtighten the barrel lug screws. I thnk its only about 10lbs tourque. They will strip out the alu. reciever. If the barrel isnt snug use locktite to seal it in the barrel channel in the reciever. Its all very easy. I have to say I wouldnt change a stock 10/22. Ive been there and done that and it only makes a 4th rate target gun. When heavy and clunky the 10/22 has nothing to offer. The 10/22 is wonderfull bone stock. To start changing it only takes away from it.