Preffered line for surf fishing?

Gtbuzz93

I have always used 20-30Ib Cajun red tied to a swivel before the steel leader when I fish on the beach. It’s served me well over the years and I’ve caught several large shark with no problem. I have always been curious about using braid on the beach like I do inshore. Or maybe I should just stick with mono but move away from the Cajun red?

Robust Redhorse

I had a bad experience with Spectra a few years ago while surf fishing. I was using #30 and something pretty big took me across a sand bar and the line abraded into.

Maybe braid is better now, but I haven't used it for surf fishing since.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I like Andy's mono. Pink 30lb.
It's served us well for lots of big sharks, big reds, and big stingray

nickel back

I like braid with a long fluorocarbon leader.

I have used 65lb braid with a long leader 4olb to 100lb pound fluorocarbon leader

Scallen2112

It's a compromise. Braid will get you a further cast and will cut through the wave movement better to keep you in place. You will also have more on your reel in case a big one grabs it and runs. The down side is it is less abrasion resistant than mono. I personally take the chance and use 55 lb braid on my larger surf rods, and 20 ld braid and flouro leader on what I am using to cast jigs for flounder and such close in.

Rabun

Regular old mono main line for surf fishing. Both mono and braid w/flouro leader for flinging baits.

XJfire75

Power pro braid to heavy flouro leader(depending on what’s being targeted) with dropper rigs to pyramid weights on the bottom

weagle

12 lb trilene big game. Easy casting, less drag in the surf, plenty strong enough.

SNJy6qO.jpg

breadfan

I love braid for surf fishing and I use only yellow line so birds or not real bright people can see it.

I'll second that for the bright color, only I use mono. I surf fish a lot down here between Jacksonville and St.Augustine Fla, and bright line with a flouro, or Ande Ghost as a leader is a must. I really got tired of fighting seagulls, pelicans, people, ect. ect. Plus you can see your line, its a win win. I use Whiskers catfish line, Stren Catfish and grand Slam High Seas IGFA. I try to stay with 15lb. or .015-.016 (.38-.40mm)
I fish mainly for Pompano and Whiting.

Last edited: