What's wrong with people

jsa1281

We have killed plenty of bucks off of this place and will continue to like I said before would love to drop it to 3 guys or so but how can you when no one wants to pay? It's just hard was all I was getting at. Sorry if I didnt hst bacon to yall doin enough I'm new to this forum thing and I can't check it every hour.

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_0137.jpg
    IMG_0137.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 257

jsa1281

Just a few that's been killed tried to post more it wouldn't let me. Hopefully more will b on the wall soon

deers2ward

....Dues are 1100 for the year. 5 is really one more than I wanted but that saves a little money for the rest of us....

So are you saying you pay the landowner $5,500/year for 300 acres?

Or are you saying each of you pays a whopping $220 each?

jsa1281

Yea man pretty typical these bucks have already been a few years old obviously before they got to the protein. And you have some that just show up every now and then. Hopefully the new bucks will be bigger I know the weight of the fawns last year were.and the 5500 leaves 700 extra dollars for feed and protein and new things or whatever ya know. 700 is not alot last weekend I went down with 400 dollars worth of stuff and that was about my 6th trip since the end of the season. Not with 400 dollars worth everytime but you get my point. So say we take 700 out and just cover the lease then your expected to work down there and help out. So depending on where you live for example me I live 2 1/2 hours away so when you add up fuel and food for three or 4 trips for everyone you would end up paying more.

transfixer

In this day and time its virtually impossible to find members who are willing to put time in during the off season, whether its doing food plots, or mowing roads and edges, or trimming shooting lanes, years ago , and I mean probably 20 yrs ago, people weren't so busy with life, and it wasn't hard to get everyone to the lease on the same day, over the years its become almost impossible, that's why we leave it to the individual members to do food plots if they choose, I've done some myself, and one other member has also, getting the other four guys down there in the off season is virtually impossible, we've accepted it and just do our own thing around our stands.

DeoVindice

My neighbor does not hunt but he plants 100 acres is winter rye every year. I love that guy.

I hunted for free most of my life, within 10 minutes from home. I was lucky to have it so good. When the day came and we lost that property, I had to join a club, so I did, and after two seasons I realized what a waste of money that was. The club had close to 5,000 acres and 50 members. Good deer on the land too, but the expense was something I could not justify. So I bought my own land, maybe 10 minutes from the club where I was a member. Granted, it isn't 5,000 acres, but it is mine and I see lots of deer. Since I bought it in 2014, I have taken 2 good bucks and several does. I spend a bit more on my own place, but I'm not throwing my money into something that will never give me a return. I cannot understand why more hunters won't get their own land. They are spending plenty of money on their clubs, with no guarantee of tomorrow and nothing in return when/if they ever leave. Personally, I would rather hunt 20 acres of land that belongs to me than to pay dues to some club and be forced to share with others and abide by the rules of others.

I know guys who have belonged to the same club for 40+ years. Almost all of them have mentioned how they should have bought their own land many years ago. They don't like to think of how much money they have spent over the years on a club they have 0% ownership, and almost 0% say so.

I found a nice 210 acre farm that had already been subdivided into 5 smaller tracts, then I talked to my family and closest friends about it, and 4 of us bought the tracts. Each of us has our own land, and we've never been happier. And honestly, I don't spend much more owning my land as I did on that club.

Choices. We have them.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Myself, if I owned my on property I’d still be a member of a lease , maybe I’m just in a good one , but I enjoy the time spent in camp with family and friends year round just as much as the hunting , and I love me some hunting !

rance56

My neighbor does not hunt but he plants 100 acres is winter rye every year. I love that guy.

I hunted for free most of my life, within 10 minutes from home. I was lucky to have it so good. When the day came and we lost that property, I had to join a club, so I did, and after two seasons I realized what a waste of money that was. The club had close to 5,000 acres and 50 members. Good deer on the land too, but the expense was something I could not justify. So I bought my own land, maybe 10 minutes from the club where I was a member. Granted, it isn't 5,000 acres, but it is mine and I see lots of deer. Since I bought it in 2014, I have taken 2 good bucks and several does. I spend a bit more on my own place, but I'm not throwing my money into something that will never give me a return. I cannot understand why more hunters won't get their own land. They are spending plenty of money on their clubs, with no guarantee of tomorrow and nothing in return when/if they ever leave. Personally, I would rather hunt 20 acres of land that belongs to me than to pay dues to some club and be forced to share with others and abide by the rules of others.

I know guys who have belonged to the same club for 40+ years. Almost all of them have mentioned how they should have bought their own land many years ago. They don't like to think of how much money they have spent over the years on a club they have 0% ownership, and almost 0% say so.

I found a nice 210 acre farm that had already been subdivided into 5 smaller tracts, then I talked to my family and closest friends about it, and 4 of us bought the tracts. Each of us has our own land, and we've never been happier. And honestly, I don't spend much more owning my land as I did on that club.

Choices. We have them.

Because Hunting to most of us is a passion or hobby, not an investment. An most of us can get a better hunting experience through leasing land then buying it

DeoVindice

Because Hunting to most of us is a passion or hobby, not an investment. An most of us can get a better hunting experience through leasing land then buying it

OK, if you would rather throw money away at your passion, instead of investing in it, and the peace of mind that comes with it, do as you wish. Like I said, we make our choices. I hunt as much as anyone, always have, and the bucks in my area will rival any bucks in the state, so at least my investment was made in a trophy area. I certainly have no regrets, and wish the same for you.

I see you're in Hazlehurst. Nice area, rather poor for gators but pretty good deer hunting. Land is affordable there. You should consider it. Or not.

Pointpuller

I would get extremely bored hunting the same ole same ole spot and stand. If your fine with it.....rock on.
Ive got to move around to new areas.
I pay $2400/year for a lease with 10 other members on 1500 acres of diverse habitat. Its obvious $2400/year aint gonna buy me much property but leasing does. I like having lots of options for set ups.
Wifes family owns 50 acres absolutely loaded with deer but I never hunt there. 2 setups on the property. See 5-15 deer a sitting in the plots. That aint hunting. Its sniping. But if we are struggling for meat its an easy fix.

Last edited:

rance56

OK, if you would rather throw money away at your passion, instead of investing in it, and the peace of mind that comes with it, do as you wish. Like I said, we make our choices. I hunt as much as anyone, always have, and the bucks in my area will rival any bucks in the state, so at least my investment was made in a trophy area. I certainly have no regrets, and wish the same for you.

I see you're in Hazlehurst. Nice area, rather poor for gators but pretty good deer hunting. Land is affordable there. You should consider it. Or not.

just curious what county your land is in and what is the biggest buck score wise you have taken on it. thnaks

DeoVindice

just curious what county your land is in and what is the biggest buck score wise you have taken on it. thnaks

As of now I have property in Fulton, Walton, Douglas, and Marion counties.

I am not here to brag about what I have. It doesn't make a hill of beans, really, and I seriously doubt if anyone is impressed, or cares...I know I wouldn't be if I were reading this. But whatever...

The OP stated he is having problems with members on a 300 acre farm. I am only stating that for a farm of that size, one guy, or one guy along with a few friends, if need be, can easily own a tract of this size, and larger, if they are so inclined. In addition, land can be easily attained for very affordable prices, especially around a place like Hazlehurst... It is much easier than many believe, so I am only trying to help another like minded hunter see that there other options. There are always other options.

I did neglect to add that I have 210 acres to hunt in Marion county, that borders, runs adjacent and parallel to the Chattahoochee fall line WMA (Fort Perry) for close to a mile, and none of my private property neighbors are hunters, so I am lucky in that regard. I did not want to come across as a braggart, which I certainly am not.

In 3 seasons of hunting I have yet to score a 130" buck, on my south Ga tract, but the buck in my avatar was close, and I missed a 150" buck last season. First buck I've missed in over 10 years...But again, who cares? Does it really matter? I have killed bigger bucks elsewhere. Again, so what?

Antler scores...LOL...Is this all you care about? And you call yourself a " passionate hunter"? haha..."A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be" - Fred Bear < I'm fairly certain he knows where the passions of a true hunter lies.

I am not trying to argue. I am trying to say that owning private property has its advantages. Lots of them, in fact. If you have a counter argument to that, without being abrasive, I'm all ears. Otherwise, I'll keep doing what I'm doing, and enjoy the profits if and when I ever decide to sell, which is doubtful. No one else will have it so good without owning their own property. I've seen too many hunters lose their beloved property without any say so, and zero return, after years of pouring their heart and soul into it...I was one of them, so I know...

I have a 4 year old son who will never have to worry about a place to hunt, and if he doesn't want to hunt, he can sell the land for a good deal more than what I paid for it. At that point I won't care.

Take it easy.

Last edited:

rance56

You are the one that made statement that the bucks you hunt rival any area of the state. You also made the statement that you hunt as much as anyone else. So I was just curious to see the results. If I go on a vacation is it a waste of money. If I’m after a trophy deer does that mean it’s only about a score.

Mexican Squealer

As of now I have property in Fulton, Walton, Douglas, and Marion counties.

I am not here to brag about what I have. It doesn't make a hill of beans, really, and I seriously doubt if anyone is impressed, or cares...I know I wouldn't be if I were reading this. But whatever...

The OP stated he is having problems with members on a 300 acre farm. I am only stating that for a farm of that size, one guy, or one guy along with a few friends, if need be, can easily own a tract of this size, and larger, if they are so inclined. In addition, land can be easily attained for very affordable prices, especially around a place like Hazlehurst... It is much easier than many believe, so I am only trying to help another like minded hunter see that there other options. There are always other options.

I did neglect to add that I have 210 acres to hunt in Marion county, that borders, runs adjacent and parallel to the Chattahoochee fall line WMA (Fort Perry) for close to a mile, and none of my private property neighbors are hunters, so I am lucky in that regard. I did not want to come across as a braggart, which I certainly am not.

In 3 seasons of hunting I have yet to score a 130" buck, on my south Ga tract, but the buck in my avatar was close, and I missed a 150" buck last season. First buck I've missed in over 10 years...But again, who cares? Does it really matter? I have killed bigger bucks elsewhere. Again, so what?

Antler scores...LOL...Is this all you care about? And you call yourself a " passionate hunter"? haha..."A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be" - Fred Bear < I'm fairly certain he knows where the passions of a true hunter lies.

I am not trying to argue. I am trying to say that owning private property has its advantages. Lots of them, in fact. If you have a counter argument to that, without being abrasive, I'm all ears. Otherwise, I'll keep doing what I'm doing, and enjoy the profits if and when I ever decide to sell, which is doubtful. No one else will have it so good without owning their own property. I've seen too many hunters lose their beloved property without any say so, and zero return, after years of pouring their heart and soul into it...I was one of them, so I know...

I have a 4 year old son who will never have to worry about a place to hunt, and if he doesn't want to hunt, he can sell the land for a good deal more than what I paid for it. At that point I won't care.

Take it easy.

Could we get some better shots of the buck in your avatar? Can't see close to 130". Migh be the angle:huh:

DeoVindice

Could we get some better shots of the buck in your avatar? Can't see close to 130". Migh be the angle:huh:
I don't know what he scored. I guesstimated he was around 120", but I really have no idea. I shot him the very first time I ever hunted my property in Marion.

DeoVindice

You are the one that made statement that the bucks you hunt rival any area of the state. You also made the statement that you hunt as much as anyone else. So I was just curious to see the results. If I go on a vacation is it a waste of money. If I’m after a trophy deer does that mean it’s only about a score.

No, I like big bucks as much as the next guy, so I would never knock you for hunting big ones. It is not all that hunting is about, though.

This thread is full of opinions, and lots of folks sharing their thoughts. I shared mine. Why is my approach a problem to you?

Yes, Marion county and the entire SW Georgia area that I hunt has some nice bucks. I have hunted all over the state and the bucks in the area can grow as big as anywhere else, statewide. So can the Fulton county area where I also hunt, and Walton county. They can rival anywhere in the state for quality. Am I wrong?

Again, I don't know exactly why you have a problem with my original post, or why you feel the need to call me out, but I am getting bored defending an opinion. You do your thing, your way, and good luck with it. I'll do things my way. Thanks.

rance56

No, I like big bucks as much as the next guy, so I would never knock you for hunting big ones. It is not all that hunting is about, though.

This thread is full of opinions, and lots of folks sharing their thoughts. I shared mine. Why is my approach a problem to you?

Yes, Marion county and the entire SW Georgia area that I hunt has some nice bucks. I have hunted all over the state and the bucks in the area can grow as big as anywhere else, statewide. So can the Fulton county area where I also hunt, and Walton county. They can rival anywhere in the state for quality. Am I wrong?

Again, I don't know exactly why you have a problem with my original post, or why you feel the need to call me out, but I am getting bored defending an opinion. You do your thing, your way, and good luck with it. I'll do things my way. Thanks.

Wow. I think you need to go back an read through this thread. You are the one in a passive aggressive way is trying to prove your way is smarter then leasing land. I made a statement of why a lot of folks lease an not buy, an you in almost exact words stated its wasting money an “you were all ears” if someone could convince u otherwise. All I have done is ask you a few reasonable questions.

Last edited: